Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-Pro Vs College

Would you be better off playing for a team like the Rowdies and enrolling as a student at USF verses playing at an out of state school? The out of state school will cost more on a partial scholarship than going to USF with no scholarship. Plus you probably have a better chance of making the MLS playing semi-pro verses college.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Would you be better off playing for a team like the Rowdies and enrolling as a student at USF verses playing at an out of state school? The out of state school will cost more on a partial scholarship than going to USF with no scholarship. Plus you probably have a better chance of making the MLS playing semi-pro verses college.
    On a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being a lock and 10 being fuggettaboutit

Chance to play for D3 college* = 4

Chance to play for D2 college* = 6.5

Chance to play for D1 college* = 8.5

Chance to play for NASL D2 Team = 9.0

Chance to play for MLS team = 9.85

* assumes 3.0 unweighted GPA

Comment

If a really good player is from a family of limited means, AND, the player has good or better than good grades, then out of state private schools are better. State schools have less money to offer than private schools. Check it out.

Comment

Education should always comes first. And there are schools out of state that offer out of state fee waivers for athletes. My son went out of state to play last year and we paid in state fees after scholarships.

Comment

Is it really imaginable that someone is good enough to make the Rowdies but NOT good enough to get a D1 full ride?
          I think the arguement is bogus.

Comment

Yes there are players in that case Pascan Millen and Chad Burt both couldnt and didnt play D1 . They played at a much lower level and progressed nicely and now are playing pro.

PS Im sure the Rowdies really like the Thread title of college vs SEMI-PRO with their name listed a semi-pro example LOL

Comment

Is it really imaginable that someone is good enough to make the Rowdies but NOT good enough to get a D1 full ride?
              I think the arguement is bogus.
              Maybe I dont remember my NCAA rules when I played D1 other sport, but pro/semi-pro play rules you out for a D1 scholarship or D1 play period. I could be totally wrong tho.

As for you question about which is better to pursue, that's a crap shoot based on whatever real analysis you do. No one on TS can have all the facts needed to make the best decision - only you (and your family) can do this. Ask God for help in making your decision.

Comment

Yes there are players in that case Pascan Millen and Chad Burt both couldnt and didnt play D1 . They played at a much lower level and progressed nicely and now are playing pro.

PS Im sure the Rowdies really like the Thread title of college vs SEMI-PRO with their name listed a semi-pro example LOL
                Yeah, that struck me, too. LOL

Now... you are saying that they had the choice of either playing below D1 or not playing. They chose the lower level and worked their way up. That's wonderful.

But did anyone really have the dilemma of playing for the Rowdies or taking a lower level college offer? That's what I'm thinking doesn't exist. The Rowdies have some pretty high level talent. If you can make that team, I think you could write any college ticket you wanted.

Comment

Not sure the Rowdies even care about hiring some stud 17/18 yr at this point. They dont even have open try-outs and basically are hiring older guys who have bounced around the pro circuit to try and better their last place finish last year . Know of a guy in town here who tried to get a Nigerian U-17 capped player a try-out with Rowdies and they said thanks but no thanks last year . Invitation only. The kid signed in Norway , go figure

I do see your point though though Im not sure D2 in this country pays enough to even consider taking that route. Know of a few players from the bay area that play in Europe on d2 and d3 pro level teams. That may be a better option because the profit potential for the clubs is better there . Europe and S American teams love to sign really young talent in the hopes that they can sell them later down the road

Comment

Pro

go to college and get education for sure

Comment

Agreed

Education should always comes first. And there are schools out of state that offer out of state fee waivers for athletes. My son went out of state to play last year and we paid in state fees after scholarships.
                      Get a scholarship and pay for the education first. That is the most important part

Comment

Get a scholarship and pay for the education first. That is the most important part
                        I said scholarship(s)-he got both.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X