X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WESTON -- FC Vs Select

Hi all,
    My son just started on Select, my friends recommended me go and tryout for FC "because is sooo much better". I'm trying to find out the difference between both of them, can anyone share?

In theory Select is 5th division of weston, but in reality weston has two good team maximum per age and the rest are all bad. If you can land in one of the first two team you, in theory, would be in a better place than Select

Comment

Select and FC are not in the same category. FC is travel soccer who play in top leagues and participate in tournaments regularly. Select might do 1 or 2 tournaments a year. Even if you don’t make FC I would recommend any other local travel soccer club long before I would recommend select. West pines, Coral Springs, parkland, Davie, Miramar and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Select and FC are not in the same category. FC is travel soccer who play in top leagues and participate in tournaments regularly. Select might do 1 or 2 tournaments a year. Even if you don’t make FC I would recommend any other local travel soccer club long before I would recommend select. West pines, Coral Springs, parkland, Davie, Miramar and others.
        Ranking of Weston FC and Select:
        1- Weston FC MLS Next
        2- Weston FC Sunshine Division
        3- Weston FC Black
        4- Select / Weston FC White
        5- Weston FC Blue

Comment

Ranking of Weston FC and Select:
          1- Weston FC MLS Next
          2- Weston FC Sunshine Division
          3- Weston FC Black
          4- Select / Weston FC White
          5- Weston FC Blue
          Weston FC White provides more playing opportunities than Weston Select. They might be similar in ability but not in gaining playing experience against others.

Comment

Weston FC White provides more playing opportunities than Weston Select. They might be similar in ability but not in gaining playing experience against others.
            Agree.
            Select is very very rec parents mentality.

Comment

Weston Select focuses on player development. Weston FC focuses on the development of revenue streams. I've played both clubs and Weston FC clearly has more teams on the boys side but as mentioned below, other than their "showcase" team and maybe second team, a lot of them are weaker and were only formed as 'revenue teams' for the club.

On the girls side it's more even, especially at the introductory ages. In fact there are years that the Weston Select teams are superior to the Weston FC teams. They are better coached. You won't have access to the top leagues at Weston Select as they prefer MDSL, SFU, PBSL, etc. But then again, those top leagues don't come into play until a couple years into 11v11.

Basically, Weston FC does have some really good players and teams (stronger on the boys side) but most people at Weston are simply paying for the name on their shirt. Weston also recruits over their own players. If you have a player capable at playing at the highest levels it's better to bring them over at the age those teams are formed than be on an existing Weston team and expect to move up. And of course, it makes sense financially. The club already profits off of anyone playing with them. Using their top leagues as a lure allows them to grab the top players from other clubs and add NEW customers to their business. Pretty smart actually.

Comment

Weston Select focuses on player development. Weston FC focuses on the development of revenue streams. I've played both clubs and Weston FC clearly has more teams on the boys side but as mentioned below, other than their "showcase" team and maybe second team, a lot of them are weaker and were only formed as 'revenue teams' for the club.

On the girls side it's more even, especially at the introductory ages. In fact there are years that the Weston Select teams are superior to the Weston FC teams. They are better coached. You won't have access to the top leagues at Weston Select as they prefer MDSL, SFU, PBSL, etc. But then again, those top leagues don't come into play until a couple years into 11v11.

Basically, Weston FC does have some really good players and teams (stronger on the boys side) but most people at Weston are simply paying for the name on their shirt. Weston also recruits over their own players. If you have a player capable at playing at the highest levels it's better to bring them over at the age those teams are formed than be on an existing Weston team and expect to move up. And of course, it makes sense financially. The club already profits off of anyone playing with them. Using their top leagues as a lure allows them to grab the top players from other clubs and add NEW customers to their business. Pretty smart actually.
                i have both a daughter and a son a weston for years and this post could not be truer

facts...

Comment

Weston Select develops nobody. My kid was there for two years and his technique got even worse. Teams are pretty endogamic, they mix players with different levels just because parents know each other or have been in the team for years. Players lack competitive drive.

Comment

Weston Select develops nobody. My kid was there for two years and his technique got even worse. Teams are pretty endogamic, they mix players with different levels just because parents know each other or have been in the team for years. Players lack competitive drive.
                    Wow sounds pretty much like West Pines.

Comment

Wow sounds pretty much like West Pines.
                      At least West pines give the kids opportunities to play against real competition instead of play by themselves all the time. Weston select is a joke always has been. They are a waste of good field space for real soccer players.

Comment

Weston Select is tailored to the younger age groups. You will see their high licensed trainers working with the youngest kids. At most clubs you won't see a club's top trainers until you reach 11v11.

Anyone who says that it means anything when a bunch of 8-11 year olds don't play "top competition" is a good example of the delusional parents constantly being fed misinformation from the clubs who are sucking their credit cards dry. 90% of development comes from training. No college coaches are driving over to watch a soccer game played by a bunch of 10 year olds. I don't care if it's the 'Milky Way Galactic Championships', it doesn't happen.

Comment

Weston Select is tailored to the younger age groups. You will see their high licensed trainers working with the youngest kids. At most clubs you won't see a club's top trainers until you reach 11v11.

Anyone who says that it means anything when a bunch of 8-11 year olds don't play "top competition" is a good example of the delusional parents constantly being fed misinformation from the clubs who are sucking their credit cards dry. 90% of development comes from training. No college coaches are driving over to watch a soccer game played by a bunch of 10 year olds. I don't care if it's the 'Milky Way Galactic Championships', it doesn't happen.
                          The kind of training Weston Select does can be accomplished in the backyard on your own. Trust me I've seen it. Don't get me wrong they are plenty good for 4-7 year old kids. After that it's recreational soccer nothing more than that.

Comment

This is the original poster, so far in Select for about 3 months. Mind you my kid is eight, so far this is a huge step up from the rec training the same age group gets in the rec teams obviously.

We are not looking for our kid to be playing at Real Madrid when he turns 17, that's an unrealistic expectation from 90% of the parents. And I feel most parents on the FC team is waiting for their kid to become the next Messi.

So far we're happy as my kid is getting competitive exposure at only eight years old without the pressure and stress I perceive from FC.

Comment

This is the original poster, so far in Select for about 3 months. Mind you my kid is eight, so far this is a huge step up from the rec training the same age group gets in the rec teams obviously.

We are not looking for our kid to be playing at Real Madrid when he turns 17, that's an unrealistic expectation from 90% of the parents. And I feel most parents on the FC team is waiting for their kid to become the next Messi.

So far we're happy as my kid is getting competitive exposure at only eight years old without the pressure and stress I perceive from FC.
                              not really, but select still trash

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X