Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sure. She is targeting high academic D1/3 schools, including Ivy. Perhaps, you and I do not run in the same circles, so I will explain myself. Most parents here are understand the frame of reference of levels of soccer, such as ECNL, B team, etc, so I will use something similar. So, imagine WSU with its Honor's Program which holds the most brightest and hardest working students out of 20,000+ regular students. I would imagine about 200 students total covering 4 years. The 1%.

So now, take Harvard with about 7,000 undergrads. These kids are ALL the 1%. Scary thing is that there are A team, B team, C team, etc within these 1% kids. Not only are they academically brilliant, they must be equally talented and hardworking in the arts, social services, sports, etc. If you have been, then you know.

So, my dd is setting the bar for high level academics and high level soccer. Unfortunately, there is no way to cheat this without sacrifice and hard work. There are couple other girls on my dd team who are very similar to her in goals, equally hardworking and dedicated. Her friends at school are very similar which they create a virtuous cycle of support and competition. So the old adage of "Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are" rings very true here.

So, when I hear PacNW crowing about commits to community college, I truly shake my head and weep silently for these young ladies and all the lost potential, due to parental stupidity and arrogance. All that money and time wasted for what? Kicking a ball? Better to use for tutors and saving for college. But hey, not everyone can be a doctor. Good luck to your dd.
    Wow, do you sound like an entitled a-hole. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your kid and trying to set them on a good path, but being a snob sets a terrible example. Don't presume to know what's right for other families. I say that as a parent with kids attending "elite" colleges. Of course we wanted the best fit for them and could make it happen financially, but there's zero shame in attending a public university because you want to play a sport, graduate debt free, be closer to home, or whatever other reasons you might have. What a student does with their time at school is what matters most. There are go getters and geniuses on every campus making the most of their education. Every campus also has spoiled rich kids, reprobates and drug dealers, including Harvard.

There's also a lot to be said for exposure to an environment that is diverse not only racially, but economically and in terms of life experience. A member of my family transferred out of an Ivy League school because, she said, "Everyone looks different but their personalities are the same." She transferred to a large public university where she felt the science program was better and the student body more interesting. Today she is a PhD scientist. Her life turned out fine without that Ivy where she hated the vibe.

Comment

Arrogance

Sure. She is targeting high academic D1/3 schools, including Ivy. Perhaps, you and I do not run in the same circles, so I will explain myself. Most parents here are understand the frame of reference of levels of soccer, such as ECNL, B team, etc, so I will use something similar. So, imagine WSU with its Honor's Program which holds the most brightest and hardest working students out of 20,000+ regular students. I would imagine about 200 students total covering 4 years. The 1%.

So now, take Harvard with about 7,000 undergrads. These kids are ALL the 1%. Scary thing is that there are A team, B team, C team, etc within these 1% kids. Not only are they academically brilliant, they must be equally talented and hardworking in the arts, social services, sports, etc. If you have been, then you know.

So, my dd is setting the bar for high level academics and high level soccer. Unfortunately, there is no way to cheat this without sacrifice and hard work. There are couple other girls on my dd team who are very similar to her in goals, equally hardworking and dedicated. Her friends at school are very similar which they create a virtuous cycle of support and competition. So the old adage of "Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are" rings very true here.

So, when I hear PacNW crowing about commits to community college, I truly shake my head and weep silently for these young ladies and all the lost potential, due to parental stupidity and arrogance. All that money and time wasted for what? Kicking a ball? Better to use for tutors and saving for college. But hey, not everyone can be a doctor. Good luck to your dd.
      Let me clarify how ignorant you actually are. While I did not attend Harvard, I am a Harvard legacy with both my grandfather and uncles attending. My grandfather went on to chair one of the countries leading programs in architecture.
      We don’t run in the same circles because I don’t believe a single college is a fit for everyone and refuse to pass judgement on a kid that works to better themselves. As a matter of fact the entitled *******s like yourself also known as “cake eaters” at the school you want to attend are a bit of a joke to most of the working class and immigrants that end up finishing in the upper echelon of class rankings at Harvard and Yale. Take ur arrogant judgmental bs and save the ignorance for somewhere else.
      Congrats to every kid that goes to WSU to be an architect, vet, construction management, reporter or communications major. Congrats to every kid that goes to a community college to play soccer and finds a fit to make their life better. For those of you that judge those kids ......eat sh$$

Comment

I have a son who has a 3.98 and plays Academy soccer, I get the grind as does he. I am just not as big of a dickhead I guess about non-Ivy schools. I hope he plays closer to home than the East coast, but we shall see.

Comment

This post amplifies the ignorance of elitist parents.

Comment

Would love to see how many recruited players from this area post their GPAs, SAT/ACT scores, whether or not they are an under representative minority, whether they went to a public/private high school, and what their family income range is. Then post which college they were recruited to. I bet you’ll see a very clear picture of how scammy college admissions looks like for athletes from wealthy families, those who used academic tips (poor gpa/test score to get into high academic schools), and how these variables impact college decisions. Even better would be to include their scholarship package. I bet people would be a lot less impressed with where players ended up if they knew how they ended up there. For a lot of kids, going to community college is a great pathway for them. Getting to play soccer and graduating with no debt is commendable.

Comment

Would love to see how many recruited players from this area post their GPAs, SAT/ACT scores, whether or not they are an under representative minority, whether they went to a public/private high school, and what their family income range is. Then post which college they were recruited to. I bet you’ll see a very clear picture of how scammy college admissions looks like for athletes from wealthy families, those who used academic tips (poor gpa/test score to get into high academic schools), and how these variables impact college decisions. Even better would be to include their scholarship package. I bet people would be a lot less impressed with where players ended up if they knew how they ended up there. For a lot of kids, going to community college is a great pathway for them. Getting to play soccer and graduating with no debt is commendable.
              I know for football and basketball, low gpa and test scores are more prevalent n helping players get into high academic schools they wouldn’t get into otherwise. If an IVY really wants you, you can get in with a 1200 SAT score if you’re their top recruit for that class. To balance the AI, they’ll bring in a high academic student. Nothing new about this practice.

Comment

This post amplifies the ignorance of elitist parents.
                Agree. Assuming that soccer negatively impacts education for all kids is pure ignorance. For some it does the exact opposite. It provides a child the opportunity to succeed and develop confidence in ones self that enables them to tackle other obstacles.

Community college may be a huge accomplishment for a child. Quit being so judgmental. We don’t all fit in your definition of success.

Comment

I know for football and basketball, low gpa and test scores are more prevalent n helping players get into high academic schools they wouldn’t get into otherwise. If an IVY really wants you, you can get in with a 1200 SAT score if you’re their top recruit for that class. To balance the AI, they’ll bring in a high academic student. Nothing new about this practice.
                  My son has a friend who was recruited to play soccer at an Ivy League and was told that he'd be guaranteed admission if he scored at least a 21 on the ACT.

Comment

My son has a friend who was recruited to play soccer at an Ivy League and was told that he'd be guaranteed admission if he scored at least a 21 on the ACT.
                    This right here is the real college admissions scandal. Get rid of academic tips for recruits that cannot meet the the bottom 25% of admissions stats.

Comment

This right here is the real college admissions scandal. Get rid of academic tips for recruits that cannot meet the the bottom 25% of admissions stats.
                      This is not the real college admissions scandal. If a kid is an actual athlete being recruited for their talent, that's far better than parents paying a bribe and staging photos of their child training for a sport.

Having had 2 kids go through the recruiting process, I'd say it's quite possible that an athlete being told they need a 21 ACT probably has a higher GPA to balance it out -- some very bright kids don't test well. Many selective colleges will also take an athlete with a lower GPA who offsets it with a higher ACT/SAT score. That said, no parent should let their athlete kid choose a school where they are likely to flounder academically. If you want a shot at scholarship money, target schools where you'll be an impact player and where your academic stats are above those of the average admitted student. A lot of schools will combine athletic and merit money for athletes, but you have to be worthy of merit at that particular school.

Comment

This is not the real college admissions scandal. If a kid is an actual athlete being recruited for their talent, that's far better than parents paying a bribe and staging photos of their child training for a sport.

Having had 2 kids go through the recruiting process, I'd say it's quite possible that an athlete being told they need a 21 ACT probably has a higher GPA to balance it out -- some very bright kids don't test well. Many selective colleges will also take an athlete with a lower GPA who offsets it with a higher ACT/SAT score. That said, no parent should let their athlete kid choose a school where they are likely to flounder academically. If you want a shot at scholarship money, target schools where you'll be an impact player and where your academic stats are above those of the average admitted student. A lot of schools will combine athletic and merit money for athletes, but you have to be worthy of merit at that particular school.
                        ALL athletes should be required to have stats that are at the minimum admissions standards. Something seriously wrong if schools allow a kid with an ACT score of 21 into the Ivys. Because, like admissions scandal, getting in like they is no different then paying $500k. Neither should be let in. And unlike GPA inflation, test scores aren’t inflated. Athletic talent shouldn’t negate academic minimum standards.

Comment

I would love to know which club steals the most players in Washington. I know one club that contacts people through managers etc to avoid breaking rules. This should be interesting :)
                          "Stealing" players? Really? You mean those kids and their parents don't have a choice? Sorry your kid got cut to make room for a better player that just so happened to come from a different club.

Comment

ALL athletes should be required to have stats that are at the minimum admissions standards. Something seriously wrong if schools allow a kid with an ACT score of 21 into the Ivys. Because, like admissions scandal, getting in like they is no different then paying $500k. Neither should be let in. And unlike GPA inflation, test scores aren’t inflated. Athletic talent shouldn’t negate academic minimum standards.
                            A kid who cannot do the work at a school should not be let in. That decision may or may not correlate to a standarized test score. Some research shows GPA is a better predictor of college success. Some schools only care about the numbers, others it's a more holistic look. A student shouldn't be admitted solely for athletic prowess, nor should a student be admitted solely for a high test score, but each admissions committee does what they are going to do according to the values of the institution.

Comment

A kid who cannot do the work at a school should not be let in. That decision may or may not correlate to a standarized test score. Some research shows GPA is a better predictor of college success. Some schools only care about the numbers, others it's a more holistic look. A student shouldn't be admitted solely for athletic prowess, nor should a student be admitted solely for a high test score, but each admissions committee does what they are going to do according to the values of the institution.
                              But if you rely on GPA then you have to take into account grade inflation like they did in multiple school districts giving out 4.0s like it was Ellen’s holiday giveaway.

Comment

But if you rely on GPA then you have to take into account grade inflation like they did in multiple school districts giving out 4.0s like it was Ellen’s holiday giveaway.
                                Admissions staff are aware of how things work at most long established schools, especially a school that gets a lot of applicants from Seattle. I can guarantee you the California colleges, for example, know Seattle high school profiles very well. Supposedly The Bush School almost never gives As according to a family we know with kids there; highest grade is typically A-. I can asssure you most admissions folks know that. That's why colleges have regional admissions reps - so they can get to know the schools, curriculum etc.

Overall, if you're an athlete a coach is supporting, admissions mainly cares about the numbers, both GPA and tests, and doesn't dig into the curriculum etc - if you have the numbers and you're a top recruit, a 4.0 from a public HS means the same as a 4.0 from Lakeside. However if your student athlete is in the schools bottom tiers of typically admitted students in GPA, test scores or both, then admissions looks at the difficulty of the curriculum, school rep etc and other ways to determine admissibility and get the coaches the athletes they want. Of course indiv schools may do things a certain way, but this is what we experienced with kids going through the preread process at multiple schools. Even if an athlete passes the preread and verbally commits, they still have to turn in the best possible final application with solid essays, good letters of rec etc because nothing is for sure until that official acceptance. Being an athlete can be the something extra that gets a kid into a more competitive school. If a kid lands in that lucky position, it's up to them and their parents to make sure they're choosing a school where they can be successful academically. The so called elite schools have many more qualified applicants than they can take, and some of those applicants who would thrive there may be below the typical profile. The hardest part is getting in. My 2 cents after being through the process a few times.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X