Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Definitely won't find that at FSA. They are only concerned with development and playing top half of the roster, the rest they couldn't care less about.

FSA parent
    My experience is different. One kid at FSA: the coach makes one group sub each half so the entire team, bench included, gets at least half the game. Another kid at OW and she watches her teammates ride the bench all game long every game, including showcases. Well, that's not quite true, sometimes 2-3 benchers get to come on towards the end of the half for 5-10 minutes, invariably don't get going, then get reamed for not being as in-tune with the game as all the other players who have been on all half are, and get subbed off.

So, if your kid is a top player, OW will work well. If your club is mid-pack or a bencher, FSA will work well.

Comment

It's interesting that everyone thinks the best coaches are at CFC, OW or FSA. Or any premiere club for that matter.

Comment

It's interesting that everyone thinks the best coaches are at CFC, OW or FSA. Or any premiere club for that matter.
        You would expect the strongest clubs to attract and have the best coaches. That's why FSA has such a premier coaching team.

Not all premier clubs have great coaches, however. Many popup premier clubs have the same mommy/daddy coaches that you see in town recreational programs; you just pay more for sending your kid to the popup program.

Comment

Seen a lot of negativity on here with threads calling out worst coaches at various clubs. Let's look at the positives. If we could pull together the best coaches in CT to form a coaching team who would they be and what age group would they coach ?
          Was JG from S+ at one point.

Comment

Was JG from S+ at one point.
            We have a coach that waits in the dark for that last parent to show, walks to field with kids, sends organized practice notes, picks the tab up for kids at ice cream and an indoor season when the parents forget to write a check, shows how to take a proper touch and not punt the ball to the fast kid up top. He spends the time, always has kids moving and he's a daddy coach. Right now my kid loves the game. She's 11. Not big three, but could play there. There's room for green thumbs that help our kids grow. Just saying. Find those that care

Comment

Pretty much the same at OW. The kids have camaraderie, but it has become work for my son. I don't think he minds the physical aspect of it at all, but it is definitely losing some of its luster and I think he feels it may becoming too much of a commitment now (he does like to do other things and 'critical, but ever-changing schedule is the norm and the perceived pressure he has to be there).
              Too much of a commitment? It IS a commitment!

Perceived pressure to be there? You bet your ***** he has to be there!

You have a soft kid.

Comment

The best coaches will never be named here, because this site is predominantly ran by parents from CFC, FSA, OW, BS and a few of the other more "popular" clubs.

A long list of coaching credentials does not make you the best, this is clearly evident by some of those names dropped in this list. Many of those coaches lost their passion years ago and simply show up for the paycheck now. Or they were once good when it was only soccer dads as their competition.

Comment

Too much of a commitment? It IS a commitment!

Perceived pressure to be there? You bet your ***** he has to be there!

You have a soft kid.
                  Not OP, but you are completely off-base. Seems like the kid found out there's much more to life than kicking a ball around a grass field. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

My experience is different. One kid at FSA: the coach makes one group sub each half so the entire team, bench included, gets at least half the game. Another kid at OW and she watches her teammates ride the bench all game long every game, including showcases. Well, that's not quite true, sometimes 2-3 benchers get to come on towards the end of the half for 5-10 minutes, invariably don't get going, then get reamed for not being as in-tune with the game as all the other players who have been on all half are, and get subbed off.

So, if your kid is a top player, OW will work well. If your club is mid-pack or a bencher, FSA will work well.
                    any club that would warehouse a child on the bench but still take full payments from the parents should be ashamed of themselves.

Comment

Interesting. OW sounds like how our LL girl's coach manages his bench. With predictable poor results.

Comment

Not OP, but you are completely off-base. Seems like the kid found out there's much more to life than kicking a ball around a grass field. Nothing wrong with that.
                        This is pretty much it. He absolutely still loves the game but I think he sees his friends in HS and misses being a real part of that crowd ..... Knows the soccer isn't great but he still wants that kind of social interaction and fun ......and he does want to do other things like chill with his friends in town on weekends rather than travel for academy games ...... go to HS games (probably play in them too) on a Tuesday night under the lights at our school rather than go to yet another practice. I think he is beginning to realize that he is just a teeny little spoke in the great DA wheel to nowhere ultimately and he is giving up a lot along the way to get there. He really does love OW and the game but just wants to do other stuff too and I don't think he wants to sweat it anymore. Pretty sure he will look for something new come June but its his call and that may change by then. We love it too but we also want him to just have time to be a kid. He was a pretty good baseball player and basketball player too but I think those days are lost for him now ...... That sucks for a teenager ..... Probably better in baseball than soccer when he was little but chose soccer. Good choice for some no doubt but he really seems to regret it now ..... Kind of wish we knew then what we know now and we could have helped him maje a better choice for him.

Comment

This is pretty much it. He absolutely still loves the game but I think he sees his friends in HS and misses being a real part of that crowd ..... Knows the soccer isn't great but he still wants that kind of social interaction and fun ......and he does want to do other things like chill with his friends in town on weekends rather than travel for academy games ...... go to HS games (probably play in them too) on a Tuesday night under the lights at our school rather than go to yet another practice. I think he is beginning to realize that he is just a teeny little spoke in the great DA wheel to nowhere ultimately and he is giving up a lot along the way to get there. He really does love OW and the game but just wants to do other stuff too and I don't think he wants to sweat it anymore. Pretty sure he will look for something new come June but its his call and that may change by then. We love it too but we also want him to just have time to be a kid. He was a pretty good baseball player and basketball player too but I think those days are lost for him now ...... That sucks for a teenager ..... Probably better in baseball than soccer when he was little but chose soccer. Good choice for some no doubt but he really seems to regret it now ..... Kind of wish we knew then what we know now and we could have helped him maje a better choice for him.
                          in the same boat with a HS junior. He walked away from the game, wasn't fun for him anymore and he was in a bad club situation that killed his love for the game (a coach that's mentioned here on TS....). In the end, it's supposed to be fun, and if it's not then why do it. I'm not a soccer guy so could care less if he does it or not, I'm just glad he's happy.

Comment

Definitely won't find that at FSA. They are only concerned with development and playing top half of the roster, the rest they couldn't care less about.

FSA parent
                            The club forces large rosters on the coach. My kid has graduated College but she played on CFC united and there were 5 or 6 girls on our roster that were not capable of starting on a college team (any division). Having the girls on the team actually hurts the development of the girls that plan on playing in college.

Comment

If he wants out then it's great that you support it. My oldest decided DA was not for him despite offers from two clubs. For awhile I admit it bothered me - I worried it would lessen his chances at playing in college, supposed better training etc. But he really didn't want to miss out on HS. He knew he'd be a starter, even as a freshman, at our pretty solid HS program and had a great non DA club to play for. It had is ups and downs, but so does DA. He has many friends doing DA so he knows the ups and downs of both. For some it has worked out great, others not so much (cut or little PT, didn't get good college placements).

He just finished his freshman year in college at a great school most important), on a team, got decent PT for a freshman and insanely happy with all of it. He has no regrets and it makes me happy and proud that he trusted his instincts. His younger sister is getting some pressure to do GDA and she's uncertain. It's at one of the better GDA clubs but she knows she's be giving up a lot. It's her choice but I hope she stays where she is, even with a lousy HS girls team. No one will be going pro and you're only a kid once. For those doing DA and they're happy that's all great. Do what makes you happy and ignore the bull****

Comment

The club forces large rosters on the coach. My kid has graduated College but she played on CFC united and there were 5 or 6 girls on our roster that were not capable of starting on a college team (any division). Having the girls on the team actually hurts the development of the girls that plan on playing in college.
                                What's worse is having them there to begin with if they never have a shot at college. But I think most clubs are guilty of perpetuating the myth while cashing checks

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X