Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our player loves soccer and has some skills but does not want to play D1.

Coach said its important to keep playing club thru high school to get on any college team, including DIII. But after 3 years of club (NEP) we're feeling done as the club does not support individual development for kids who are not on NPL.

We don't our kid to have to leave the sport in college because they left a club in high school.

Would private coaching sessions and the high school team be enough?
    Since we're talking the caliber of MCLA and not Williams, the answer is between possibly and probably, yes.

Comment

Really? Hasn't the point actually always been stated in response to parents claiming that they never had any scholarship goals and were choosing D3 schools because they felt the academics were the most important thing.
      Ummmm, no, that's the completely false, fictitious scenario you/BTNT have continually sold as what people are saying. That's not what any of them said. That point, if one wants to be precise, is that some parents who might well have accepted a scholarship to a good D1 if one was offered don't, by default, consider a D3 outcome to be a lost cause or waste of money, not do they think their kid would have played at a strong D3 without a relatively comparable club experience (or equivalent). Are you now denying (your own posts within hours) stating that D3 soccer is a diversion from more important matters and a waste of valuable time and that good training and competition along with some talent aren't needed for good D3s????

Comment

D1 was never available to "[y]our player."

Comment

Coach said its important to keep playing club thru high school to get on any college team, including DIII. But after 3 years of club (NEP) we're feeling done as the club does not support individual development for kids who are not on NPL.

We don't our kid to have to leave the sport in college because they left a club in high school.

Would private coaching sessions and the high school team be enough?
          So, since some want us to take your post here literally, BTNT, here's the answer.

Your child not wanting to play D1 is irrelevant, or rather, she/he doesn't have to worry because as a NEP level player she/he has zero chance of playing D1. She/he also has less than a 10% chance of every playing at a top third or maybe even top half D3. She/he can likely play at Wheelock, though, where often Wheelock has to forfeit due to not having enough players to put on the field. MCLA is another top recommendation for you situation.

Comment

So, since some want us to take your post here literally, BTNT, here's the answer.

Your child not wanting to play D1 is irrelevant, or rather, she/he doesn't have to worry because as a NEP level player she/he has zero chance of playing D1. She/he also has less than a 10% chance of every playing at a top third or maybe even top half D3. She/he can likely play at Wheelock, though, where often Wheelock has to forfeit due to not having enough players to put on the field. MCLA is another top recommendation for you situation.
            Wait till your Mia sits on that D1 bench for a few years and then let us know how wonderful it all was.

Comment

Hey D1 psycho mom: look in stands and count the 47 'fans'. Most are family and roommates. That's it. Now calm down and don't forget the meds next time before posting!

Comment

Since we're talking the caliber of MCLA and not Williams, the answer is between possibly and probably, yes.
                Hey! I went to MCLA (actually NASC). It was a joke of a school...but I had a great time there.

Comment

Ummmm, no, that's the completely false, fictitious scenario you/BTNT have continually sold as what people are saying. That's not what any of them said. That point, if one wants to be precise, is that some parents who might well have accepted a scholarship to a good D1 if one was offered don't, by default, consider a D3 outcome to be a lost cause or waste of money, not do they think their kid would have played at a strong D3 without a relatively comparable club experience (or equivalent). Are you now denying (your own posts within hours) stating that D3 soccer is a diversion from more important matters and a waste of valuable time and that good training and competition along with some talent aren't needed for good D3s????
                  I'm going to weigh in here and start by stating that I have not been involved in this discussion up to this point. It never ceases to amaze me just how far a couple of posters here will go to justify their personal decisions. This fictionalized thread is a perfect example. It's purpose is really just to justify spending a ton of money on club soccer and then eschewing chasing scholarship money and going the academic D3 route instead. For some reason whomever stated it has an obvious need to paint that as a mainstream point of view. Personally I could actually give a crap about what they think is best for everyone's children, I just know from first hand experience they don't have the first clue about how most of this stuff works out, let alone what is best for kids like mine. Besides being just plain old mean spirited, most of what they post is devoid of actual facts and just ignorant. If anyone wants to believe the garbage they post here, they are more than welcome to it but I would just say buyer beware.

This clown who made this post above has never accurately reflected what my actual point of view is and usually grossly misstates it so he can continue ranting about me in threads just like this one. The guy is quite literally insane. My personal point of view about club soccer is families should modulate their participation based upon their goals for their kids and be objective about what their actual abilities are. It's my whole "is the juice worth the squeeze" concept. After more than 15 years of club soccer I personally don't believe that anyone needs to blow their brains out with club soccer and that even holds true with kids like my youngest. All of them regardless of where they aspire to need to work at growing their game if they want to go beyond a recreational level but I am convinced that you don't need to spend tons of money on fancy practice facilities and belonging to boutique leagues to do that. It comes down to talent and work ethic and if your kid has both most will come to realize that 99% of what gets posted on this site as wisdom is nothing but BS.

Because I have had a kid play at the level I nave watched a ton of D3 soccer so I am far from a stranger to what the level is. I have also had family members play other sports for some of the very same schools that people what to put out as the top end of D3. The fact is most of what I have watched is not very good soccer, or basketball or wrestling. That is not to say that there aren't talented athletes to be found at the level, because there is talent there, just not a lot of it and even then most of the kids aren't overly focused on being great athletes so they end up lagging behind. They get involved in a sport at that level because they are having fun and in the end that is really all that matters. Contrary to what often gets portrayed here, I respect that because it really is pure. Once you start talking about D1 and scholarships it becomes an entirely different animal. At the D1 level its about business.

BTDT

Comment

And looked who just happened, by accident, to stop by and find where he had been posting. Must have gotten a text alert lol. And then you go on to say EXACTLY what everyone has said you have said. No one ever said a particular league was necessary. All agree and talent and desire, and the contention is that there must be some level of regular training and competition that challenges appropriately to get better. Players who stay stagnant, even ones with talent from top leagues, do not see the field at the top end D3s. It's not like you can be good up to age 15 and then just play high school soccer a couple of months of the year. Those kids get passed by. But go on with your nonsense. Always fun to see just how far you will go.

Comment

BTDT, you lie more than Trump, and that's not easy. Those other posts of yours are as plain as day. Just stop with the denials. And why, btw, are you denying? You don't seem shy about defending your enormously idiosyncratic positions.

Comment

I'm going to weigh in here and start by stating that I have not been involved in this discussion up to this point. It never ceases to amaze me just how far a couple of posters here will go to justify their personal decisions. This fictionalized thread is a perfect example. It's purpose is really just to justify spending a ton of money on club soccer and then eschewing chasing scholarship money and going the academic D3 route instead. For some reason whomever stated it has an obvious need to paint that as a mainstream point of view. Personally I could actually give a crap about what they think is best for everyone's children, I just know from first hand experience they don't have the first clue about how most of this stuff works out, let alone what is best for kids like mine. Besides being just plain old mean spirited, most of what they post is devoid of actual facts and just ignorant. If anyone wants to believe the garbage they post here, they are more than welcome to it but I would just say buyer beware.

This clown who made this post above has never accurately reflected what my actual point of view is and usually grossly misstates it so he can continue ranting about me in threads just like this one. The guy is quite literally insane. My personal point of view about club soccer is families should modulate their participation based upon their goals for their kids and be objective about what their actual abilities are. It's my whole "is the juice worth the squeeze" concept. After more than 15 years of club soccer I personally don't believe that anyone needs to blow their brains out with club soccer and that even holds true with kids like my youngest. All of them regardless of where they aspire to need to work at growing their game if they want to go beyond a recreational level but I am convinced that you don't need to spend tons of money on fancy practice facilities and belonging to boutique leagues to do that. It comes down to talent and work ethic and if your kid has both most will come to realize that 99% of what gets posted on this site as wisdom is nothing but BS.

Because I have had a kid play at the level I nave watched a ton of D3 soccer so I am far from a stranger to what the level is. I have also had family members play other sports for some of the very same schools that people what to put out as the top end of D3. The fact is most of what I have watched is not very good soccer, or basketball or wrestling. That is not to say that there aren't talented athletes to be found at the level, because there is talent there, just not a lot of it and even then most of the kids aren't overly focused on being great athletes so they end up lagging behind. They get involved in a sport at that level because they are having fun and in the end that is really all that matters. Contrary to what often gets portrayed here, I respect that because it really is pure. Once you start talking about D1 and scholarships it becomes an entirely different animal. At the D1 level its about business.

BTDT

B-
                        We've been involved with club soccer for 10 years and my kid has had success the ECNL and NPL levels. If she decides to play in college it'll be at the D1 club level or D3, and from what our kid has seen there is a wide gulf between most HS and quality D3 teams. Based on the feedback we've gotten from club and college coaches, the primary difference between D1 and D3 is size and athleticism. In many cases, the difference in skill levels are not that different. So yes, to play at a strong D3 school kids should play at the highest level they can.

On this we can agree: D1 is a business and not for everyone. D3 is a significant commitment, but in our view a bit more balanced.

AVB

PS - if you've not seen good D3 soccer, then you don't know where to look WS, Chicago, Brandeis, MIT and Williams arguably play "prettier" soccer than many D1 schools.

Comment

B-
                          We've been involved with club soccer for 10 years and my kid has had success the ECNL and NPL levels. If she decides to play in college it'll be at the D1 club level or D3, and from what our kid has seen there is a wide gulf between most HS and quality D3 teams. Based on the feedback we've gotten from club and college coaches, the primary difference between D1 and D3 is size and athleticism. In many cases, the difference in skill levels are not that different. So yes, to play at a strong D3 school kids should play at the highest level they can.

On this we can agree: D1 is a business and not for everyone. D3 is a significant commitment, but in our view a bit more balanced.

AVB

PS - if you've not seen good D3 soccer, then you don't know where to look WS, Chicago, Brandeis, MIT and Williams arguably play "prettier" soccer than many D1 schools.
                          You are clueless...

Comment

You are clueless...
                            Well THAT'S a cogent, well reasoned and persuasive counterargument!

Comment

Well THAT'S a cogent, well reasoned and persuasive counterargument!
                              Maybe now you finally comprehend what an absolute narcissistic imbecile BTNT is.

Comment

You are clueless...
                                Contrary to popular belief..you are not the only one who's BTDT...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X