ECNL vs GDA Pro's and Con's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have more details about how many league games you will play in the GDA? I know they have indicated it will be only 1 game per weekend (vs. generally 2 for ECNL). But how many games will there be per season?

For example, there are currently only 8 clubs in the NE GDA spanning from NY to MA and also only 8 clubs in Atlantic spanning from NJ to DC/VA. Will the Fall season only be 7 games playing each team once or 14 games playing each team twice?

When you factor in roster sizes of up to 23 with the subbing rules, you may only play in 4 or 5 games per season if it is only 7 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Anyone have more details about how many league games you will play in the GDA? I know they have indicated it will be only 1 game per weekend (vs. generally 2 for ECNL). But how many games will there be per season?

For example, there are currently only 8 clubs in the NE GDA spanning from NY to MA and also only 8 clubs in Atlantic spanning from NJ to DC/VA. Will the Fall season only be 7 games playing each team once or 14 games playing each team twice?

When you factor in roster sizes of up to 23 with the subbing rules, you may only play in 4 or 5 games per season if it is only 7 games.
      The purpose of GDA is to build NT players through training. I'd suspect that they wouldn't have any games at all if they thought that they could get away with it.

Comment

The purpose of GDA is to build NT players through training. I'd suspect that they wouldn't have any games at all if they thought that they could get away with it.
        OK, but that wasn't really the question. They have not set up individual training clubs...they have set up a league with a certain # of clubs in each one. There will be games played and travel required. It is also something to consider when comparing to ECNL across a variety of factors.

Comment

Yes..what is the gda travel commitment for the two metro regions? How will the league operate?

Comment

OK, but that wasn't really the question. They have not set up individual training clubs...they have set up a league with a certain # of clubs in each one. There will be games played and travel required. It is also something to consider when comparing to ECNL across a variety of factors.
            If your concern is playing more games, ECNL is the clear choice over GDA. If your concern is to get on the national team, in the short term ECNL is still the clear choice for now but GDA is likely to have the edge there at some point in the future.

Comment

My concern was just understanding how the gda league will work. Anyone know? Is it a secret for some reason?

Comment

My concern was just understanding how the gda league will work. Anyone know? Is it a secret for some reason?
                How will it work? Poorly.

It's going to take a couple of years to get on it's feet.

Comment

I don't know why it is difficult to get this information. These questions were not aimed at the merits of one vs. the other. They are purely logistical and the reality is that you will travel and pay $$$ to play in the GDA.

ECNL is well-defined in terms of how the league is organized. You play ~12 games per season across 6-8 weekends (2 games per weekend usually, sometimes only 1 depending on location). GDA is 1 game per weekend, but how many games per season with only 8 clubs in the NE and Atlantic regions?

Comment

I don't know why it is difficult to get this information. These questions were not aimed at the merits of one vs. the other. They are purely logistical and the reality is that you will travel and pay $$$ to play in the GDA.

ECNL is well-defined in terms of how the league is organized. You play ~12 games per season across 6-8 weekends (2 games per weekend usually, sometimes only 1 depending on location). GDA is 1 game per weekend, but how many games per season with only 8 clubs in the NE and Atlantic regions?
                    GDA will play year round so it will home and away series.

Comment

Travel represents significant time and money costs for these leagues. Less games, less travel, = cheaper.

Comment

Travel represents significant time and money costs for these leagues. Less games, less travel, = cheaper.
                        Not necessarily if you have to travel to Boston two weekends to play one game per weekend instead of playing both games in one weekend. If the games were at 9AM, then you might end up needing 2 hotel nights instead of 1 to play those 2 games.

Comment

Not necessarily if you have to travel to Boston two weekends to play one game per weekend instead of playing both games in one weekend. If the games were at 9AM, then you might end up needing 2 hotel nights instead of 1 to play those 2 games.
                          Many teams have field restraints that limit their flexibility in scheduling games. I have always been proactive when schedules are published to coordinate my away games over as few weekends as possible and it generally has worked out but you have to pick up a phone and call managers and coaches.

Comment

I thought GDA requires only one game per weekend.

Comment

Many teams have field restraints that limit their flexibility in scheduling games. I have always been proactive when schedules are published to coordinate my away games over as few weekends as possible and it generally has worked out but you have to pick up a phone and call managers and coaches.
                              There's two thoughts regarding the above posts

-Ideally DA clubs have their own facilities or at least pretty strong pull with getting sites when they need it. USSF assumes that you have fields when they tell you you're playing games.

- Yes it's supposed to be one game/weekend but occasionally when there is significant travel and it makes sense to book back to back games in one location they will do it. You can look at boys DA schedules to get a sense of how they work it.

Comment

pretty interesting that the GDA issues for some revolve around the games. Of your development time in the GDA, assuming one game per week and 60mins of PT ..that would represent about 15pct of your time in that week.

I would be far more concerned with who trains and what a week of practice looks like.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X