Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is so simplistic as to be useless advice. Short bus-level of simplicity.

I want to make sure that I understand you (maybe I'm naive). You would give this same answer regarding a kid that's getting big $'s from UVA or Stanford, or an Ivy education from Brown, or 25% from Holy Cross, or $5k from Bryant? They're all D1. A kid that's a top 100 player who's expected to make an impact at a top20 school should be approaching this the same way that a 20minutes/season player at #278 Holy Cross does?

That's insane (the idea is insane. You, I'm sure, are of perfectly normal sanity)
    Well I would say if playing soccer is very important to the kid, then who are you to challenge her approach?

Comment

This is so simplistic as to be useless advice. Short bus-level of simplicity.

I want to make sure that I understand you (maybe I'm naive). You would give this same answer regarding a kid that's getting big $'s from UVA or Stanford, or an Ivy education from Brown, or 25% from Holy Cross, or $5k from Bryant? They're all D1. A kid that's a top 100 player who's expected to make an impact at a top20 school should be approaching this the same way that a 20minutes/season player at #278 Holy Cross does?

That's insane (the idea is insane. You, I'm sure, are of perfectly normal sanity)
      Agreed. What I can't seem to grasp is how anyone let's RPI or strength of program be the driving factor about where to go to school. That was the gist of the original post. By that logic one would choose UCF over BC/BU/Northeastern if the money were comparable. That makes NO sense to me.

Comment

The polarized arguments in this thread are ridiculous and exemplify the tired TS musings of the D1 Braggards vs. Academic Snobs. This is not an "OR" process, it's an "AND" process. Needs to be right fit athletically, and academically, and financially, and socially, and ....

If playing college soccer is important then RPI is as reasonable a filter as SAT range.

Comment

Your logic is silly and speaks to just how little you actually understand about the subject. It really is a defeatist attitude rooted in complete ignorance. Why bother with soccer at all if that is how you are going to approach it? The truth of the matter is if your kid quits the soccer team, then they usually quit the school as well. This ain't D3 soccer. With most families the money is a huge driving factor so when their kid quits or gets injured the money dries up and forces other decisions. That's reality.
          So you're still hanging around, huh, BTNT? Back with the the old "why bother with soccer at all" mantra yet again. Don't you get bored with yourself, aside from how disgusting you are for everyone else?

Comment

So you're still hanging around, huh, BTNT? Back with the the old "why bother with soccer at all" mantra yet again. Don't you get bored with yourself, aside from how disgusting you are for everyone else?
            Other than "I see BTDT", do you have a point to male?

Comment

Other than "I see BTDT", do you have a point to male?
              Yeah, the "why would you even bother" if you suck so bad or if that is what you're looking for or blah, blah, blah is just so beyond tired. If someone is going to keep posting for years on end ad nauseum they could at least show a little creativity or offer a new thought once in a while......oh wait, I guess that's what the fictions and fiction threads are for lol.

Comment

Well I would say if playing soccer is very important to the kid, then who are you to challenge her approach?
                I wouldn't challenge another person's college selection, for there are way too many private variables involved in these decisions to just look at the choice and say thumbs or thumbs-down. I try to remember how a friend of mine chose a college that made absolutely no sense to any of us - until we found out that it was in the home town of his failing grandfather and he wanted to be close by to provide support.

That said, I am amazed when people use incredibly simplistic thinking in making a college decision. If "playing soccer is very important to the kid," as you say, then they need to think carefully about what that really means. Does it mean:

- "I love to play soccer, and want to play as much as I can."
                - "I love being an important part of my soccer team, and want to be on the field contributing"
                - "I love winning soccer games, and want to be on a team that is very successful"
                - "I love the game of soccer - the training, the games, the drills"
                -"I love my soccer team, and want to be around other soccer players who become my friends and my social circle"
                - "I love big time soccer, and want to be on a highly ranked team"
                - "I want to grow to be the very best soccer player that I can be"

Depending on how you answer the question, you could come up with a bunch of different college scenarios that would make for a fulfilling experience for the player. It could range from being a training player at a big ACC or SEC school, to a part time player at a 200 RPI D1 school, to playing D3 and being an impact player, to playing club at a big university. They are all perfect choices for some players, as long as they are realistic at to their capabilities and objectives.

Comment

The polarized arguments in this thread are ridiculous and exemplify the tired TS musings of the D1 Braggards vs. Academic Snobs. This is not an "OR" process, it's an "AND" process. Needs to be right fit athletically, and academically, and financially, and socially, and ....

If playing college soccer is important then RPI is as reasonable a filter as SAT range.
                  Yes and no. For many schools (especially outside the perennial top 25-30), the RPI can go up or down pretty significantly from year to year. A good year can push a school from 125 to 60, and then a few injuries the next year can knock it back to 150.

SAT ranges tend to be very stable.

Comment

Yes and no. For many schools (especially outside the perennial top 25-30), the RPI can go up or down pretty significantly from year to year. A good year can push a school from 125 to 60, and then a few injuries the next year can knock it back to 150.

SAT ranges tend to be very stable.
                    Volatile RPI vs. Stable SAT is a fair point. Noted.
                    Concept that she needs to target schools she can play for and and a schools she can get into remains same. RPI, to your point, is not as reliable a filter as SAT

Comment

I wouldn't challenge another person's college selection, for there are way too many private variables involved in these decisions to just look at the choice and say thumbs or thumbs-down. I try to remember how a friend of mine chose a college that made absolutely no sense to any of us - until we found out that it was in the home town of his failing grandfather and he wanted to be close by to provide support.

That said, I am amazed when people use incredibly simplistic thinking in making a college decision. If "playing soccer is very important to the kid," as you say, then they need to think carefully about what that really means. Does it mean:

- "I love being an important part of my soccer team, and want to be on the field contributing"
                      - "I love winning soccer games, and want to be on a team that is very successful"
                      -"I love my soccer team, and want to be around other soccer players who become my friends and my social circle"

Depending on how you answer the question, you could come up with a bunch of different college scenarios that would make for a fulfilling experience for the player. It could range from being a training player at a big ACC or SEC school, to a part time player at a 200 RPI D1 school, to playing D3 and being an impact player, to playing club at a big university. They are all perfect choices for some players, as long as they are realistic at to their capabilities and objectives.
                      Your pompous and verbose response is some of what was referenced by my concise one. College selection is a personal decision based in many variables. The relative strength of a program may very well be one of those variables. The OP was asking if RPI can be used to assess the relative strength. It is an incomplete and imperfect metric. Additional insights were offered to him in his attempts to guide his child through a difficult process.

Comment

The OP parents understand your enlightening concepts without your stating the obvious. OP gave insight into his kid's level and the answers were tailored to him. We know your kid was a top 25 recruit. Not all kids are as fortunate. For these families, the decision is more complicated. Your comments are inflammatory as they imply the OP has no insight into his child.

Comment

The OP parents understand your enlightening concepts without your stating the obvious. OP gave insight into his kid's level and the answers were tailored to him. We know your kid was a top 25 recruit. Not all kids are as fortunate. For these families, the decision is more complicated. Your comments are inflammatory as they imply the OP has no insight into his child.
                          He's such a douche. Can't seem to grasp the concept that what applies to one doesn't apply to another, particularly when so few poster's children are even in the same orbit. For those that don't have schools groveling for your attention - which is many - as you said it's a much more complicated process.

Comment

fwiw, I find his comments helpful.

Most douchey thing on here is continuously calling out his motivation rather than responding to his content. The "verbose" response that you say lacks understanding of the personal and complex decision, I read as showing a very good understanding of the myriad experiences a player may seek. His advice reminds me that we may be over-investing in club when Patriot league is Ds goal. Note I said "may" since from what I can see bios on most PL recruiting announcements are hi level players

Comment

Most douchey thing on here is continuously calling out his motivation rather than responding to his content. The "verbose" response that you say lacks understanding of the personal and complex decision, I read as showing a very good understanding of the myriad experiences a player may seek. His advice reminds me that we may be over-investing in club when Patriot league is Ds goal. Note I said "may" since from what I can see bios on most PL recruiting announcements are hi level players
                              Years and years of posting reveal motivation, and vindictiveness, and lies and deceptions, obscene narcissism, and pathological disparagement of others. And have to laugh at you suggesting that "his" advice reminds you that you "may" be over-investing. You're going to let any poster, especially one this sick, on this site, influence what you may or may not decide about yourself and your kid???

Comment

Except that verbose response wasn’t him. See how things get twisted on this site.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X