Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This explains why so much of soccer turns to **** for players after their clubs publish commitment lists and signing day photos on their websites.
    Not really. all that shows is that a large percentage of these kids are in it for the wrong reasons or trying to punch well above their weight.

Comment

im not the OP, but the distill it to a #1 reason is a bit simplistic. I see it as part of learning and i define that very broadly- learning about herself , life, becoming more socially aware, book knowledge, practical knowledge..many many things.

annoy who who says ..to study is undervaluing College or needs to define study.
      agreed. My point is it's not soccer. So using RPI to choose a college list is probably not the best way to go.

Comment

I actually understand quite a bit about the subject. We've just gone through the process as well.

Let me pose the question this way...What is the #1 reason your kid goes to college?

Your answer will speak volumes.
        My overly simplistic answer to your overly simplistic question is they are going to college to play soccer first and get an education second. If you think otherwise that says that you are inexperienced with D1 athletics. The education is how you get paid, so selfishly you want a "million dollar education", but the coaches will dispel the notion that getting that million dollar education might come first pretty quickly.

Comment

agreed. My point is it's not soccer. So using RPI to choose a college list is probably not the best way to go.
          Not unlike the idiots who use academic rankings to base their decisions on. Nothing but a bench mark.

Comment

If we are talking about the scholarship levels. The idea that anyone would make their decision as though they were just an average student is crazy. Way more complicated than is being presented here. Factors like playing time and program amenities are as important as academic criteria. Heck most schools won't even let the kids pursue just any major so you had better figure some of that out before making a decision.

Comment

If we are talking about the scholarship levels. The idea that anyone would make their decision as though they were just an average student is crazy. Way more complicated than is being presented here. Factors like playing time and program amenities are as important as academic criteria. Heck most schools won't even let the kids pursue just any major so you had better figure some of that out before making a decision.
              T9 has led to many great things. one downside is the number of athletic scholarships to families who have no clue what they are really signing up for. Caveat emptor

Comment

What types of schools don't let you pursue their major of choice? How would you even find out if the programs you're looking into strongly discourage certain majors?

Comment

What types of schools don't let you pursue their major of choice? How would you even find out if the programs you're looking into strongly discourage certain majors?
                  Biology for example. If labs are held during practice time you're SoL.
                  If a program requires you spend a semester abroad
                  Engineering

Talk to the coaches. They'll be upfront about it. Helped clarify things for us.

Comment

The very first decision a family has to make is whether or not they actually want to be a D1 scholarship athlete in the first place. Doesn't matter the level, college sports are not for the uncommitted. Playing at the D1/D2 level requires a lot of sacrifices. Not that it is all bad, actually its pretty darn good but you definitively full in if that is your family's decision. You need to understand that your kid will not have anywhere near the college experience that the average student will at a school so you really can't use the same criteria that that normal student would use to pick their schools. Yes criteria often overlap but the process in many ways is more like picking job offers than just a straight college search.
                    OP here and yes I should have started with that. D1 isn't for everyone and deciding what type of commitment a player wants is a critical first step. Then once that's decided you can look at your option within that division. There will still be plenty of options and something that's a good fit.

Comment

OP here and yes I should have started with that. D1 isn't for everyone and deciding what type of commitment a player wants is a critical first step. Then once that's decided you can look at your option within that division. There will still be plenty of options and something that's a good fit.
                      So I am ASSUMING your child would like to play D1 soccer in college.

RPI is not a great measure if you only look at a single year. look at the last three years to get a picture of trends and where teams are most likely to lie competitively.

Also I can help you with some generalities. Look at the conferences. The power 5 conferences indeed contain some pretty weak programs RPI >150 or teams from year to year. However they are pretty much uniformly fully funded. Teams within the top half of the power five conference standings are probably out of your child's reach given your previous background statements. Teams in the bottom half might have pretty low RPI and may still be out of reach. The next tier is the AAC, and WCC. I thought the idea someone put out there saying comparing soccer resumes of current players to your child's might be very helpful to see if she looks like a match. That strategy would hold at any level. Georgetown is an outlier in the big east and likely out of her reach. While some of the big east programs were pretty good a few years ago, they have fallen off. The colonial conference is a pretty solid conference and of course has some relatively close teams. Patriot league is very academic second only to the ivy league. NCAA ranks conference RPI as well as team and maybe helpful for you are those seem to stay a little more consistent from year to year. Good luck hope she finds a great match.

Comment

I would also say you can check the current players' resumes on the team websites. usually if you click on the player listed under the "roster" tab it will show the kid's bio

Comment

My overly simplistic answer to your overly simplistic question is they are going to college to play soccer first and get an education second. If you think otherwise that says that you are inexperienced with D1 athletics. The education is how you get paid, so selfishly you want a "million dollar education", but the coaches will dispel the notion that getting that million dollar education might come first pretty quickly.
                          This is so simplistic as to be useless advice. Short bus-level of simplicity.

I want to make sure that I understand you (maybe I'm naive). You would give this same answer regarding a kid that's getting big $'s from UVA or Stanford, or an Ivy education from Brown, or 25% from Holy Cross, or $5k from Bryant? They're all D1. A kid that's a top 100 player who's expected to make an impact at a top20 school should be approaching this the same way that a 20minutes/season player at #278 Holy Cross does?

That's insane (the idea is insane. You, I'm sure, are of perfectly normal sanity)

Comment

So I am ASSUMING your child would like to play D1 soccer in college.

RPI is not a great measure if you only look at a single year. look at the last three years to get a picture of trends and where teams are most likely to lie competitively.

Also I can help you with some generalities. Look at the conferences. The power 5 conferences indeed contain some pretty weak programs RPI >150 or teams from year to year. However they are pretty much uniformly fully funded. Teams within the top half of the power five conference standings are probably out of your child's reach given your previous background statements. Teams in the bottom half might have pretty low RPI and may still be out of reach. The next tier is the AAC, and WCC. I thought the idea someone put out there saying comparing soccer resumes of current players to your child's might be very helpful to see if she looks like a match. That strategy would hold at any level. Georgetown is an outlier in the big east and likely out of her reach. While some of the big east programs were pretty good a few years ago, they have fallen off. The colonial conference is a pretty solid conference and of course has some relatively close teams. Patriot league is very academic second only to the ivy league. NCAA ranks conference RPI as well as team and maybe helpful for you are those seem to stay a little more consistent from year to year. Good luck hope she finds a great match.
                            Pulled this list of the top 10 conferences off All White Kit. It probably came from NCAA rankings:

1. SEC
                            2. ACC
                            3. PAC 12
                            4. BIG 10
                            5. BIG 12
                            6. AAC
                            7. Ivy League
                            8. West Coast
                            9. CAA
                            10. Big East

Comment

Not really. all that shows is that a large percentage of these kids are in it for the wrong reasons or trying to punch well above their weight.
                              That's the point I was making.

Comment

yeah the ivies got an unusual boost due to Princeton's success last year. They have a burner recruiting class of underrateds coming in. I think they will continue to climb.

But yeah seems about right. The SEC is more consistent top to bottom, but the ACC and PAC12 have more higher highs of course. Look potentially for the SEC to continue to rise. The facilities are top of the line thanks to the sharing of a ton of football money. Happened in Softball. A bunch of great ball fields, better coaches lured in with higher salaries and now they are the go to conference in that sport.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X