Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Youth Soccer Assesment Grid- Where should we stop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So why are you quitting then if your kid is making all the teams and is such a high level player? Who gets to the 15-16 yo stage in club soccer and quites if their kid is going to get the rewards that come from club soccer. That’s what the op was claiming they are doing.
    You must be a U-Little dad. There is no reward. Now get back to yelling "BOOT IT" at little Landon.

Comment

So why are you quitting then if your kid is making all the teams and is such a high level player? Who gets to the 15-16 yo stage in club soccer and quites if their kid is going to get the rewards that come from club soccer. That’s what the op was claiming they are doing.
      Players leave at all stages. They burn out, lose interest, decide to focus on other things, money constraints. The only "reward" that matters is that they love playing. If that stops the kids/families should re-assess why and see what needs to happen to fix it - drop out, drop down, move up, whatever. No one should be chasing other "rewards" especially promises of supposed scholarships.

- not the op

Comment

Can someone please explain to me what the rewards that come from club soccer are? My 3 boys are extremely fit and have made some great friends. Those aren't exactly rewards but they are definitely due to club soccer. What am I missing?

Comment

REST OF NEP/NSL: Varsity High School Soccer as end goal.
          You broad brushed the **** out of this one.

Comment

We've found a way to approximate those two factors for less money, less travel and less family time invested.
            "IMPOSSIBLE!" some will scream.

Question their motives.

Comment

Who gets to the 15-16 yo stage in club soccer and quits if their kid is going to get the rewards that come from club soccer.
              A lot more than you realize apparently.

Comment

Can someone please explain to me what the rewards that come from club soccer are?
                Sincerely, without vastly overstating them, dismissing their availability elsewhere?

No, probably not.

Comment

Not the OP, but his view of "the top of the pyramid" may be different than yours. He's probably talking about a solid NPL player. Maybe the kid tried boys ECNL this year and th family didn't see the advantage over playing NPL in terms of development and competition, so they are dropping back to NPL (less money, less travel, less time, as the OP stated). In such a case, the move the OP's kid is making makes complete sense. If college is the end goal, and as new as boys ECNL is right now, NPL will probably take him to the same college level play. If he were a top DA player, on the other hand, and getting lots of playing time, it would make no sense to drop out at this point, especially if the kid is in the thick of recruiting.

Comment

Not the OP, but his view of "the top of the pyramid" may be different than yours. He's probably talking about a solid NPL player. Maybe the kid tried boys ECNL this year and th family didn't see the advantage over playing NPL in terms of development and competition, so they are dropping back to NPL (less money, less travel, less time, as the OP stated). In such a case, the move the OP's kid is making makes complete sense. If college is the end goal, and as new as boys ECNL is right now, NPL will probably take him to the same college level play. If he were a top DA player, on the other hand, and getting lots of playing time, it would make no sense to drop out at this point, especially if the kid is in the thick of recruiting.
                    When I said the top I meant the top. Recruiting as a freshman for boys isn't exactly "in the thick."

Comment

I’m just reading along, and nowhere did I see the guy who posted about his “top” player (who it appears now is a top DA freshman), say that he was quitting the sport altogether. I assumed, and maybe incorrectly so, that he was just dropping down a level. That is not unusual if the costs (and not just the financial ones) are too high. If families continually reasses every season, the end goals can change, and therefore the need for staying at the the current soccer level can and do change. It’s silly to think that it doesn’t happen both ways on the pyramid. I know of several GDA players moving down to NPL next year. Some are starters and some are not. Some are because they have their college commitment wrapped up, and some are because their end goals are no longer lining with what GDA is needed for.

I think the OP about the need for constant family/player assessment is spot on, and I see more and more of it happening as families get wiser to what their priorities are. Many are no longer letting their ego and peer pressure, force them up the pyramid past where they are able to reasonably able to keep up, or even need. This is a good thing, and is signaling that the clubs have maxed out on the top end of where parents will blindly follow.

Comment

I’m just reading along, and nowhere did I see the guy who posted about his “top” player (who it appears now is a top DA freshman), say that he was quitting the sport altogether. I assumed, and maybe incorrectly so, that he was just dropping down a level. That is not unusual if the costs (and not just the financial ones) are too high. If families continually reasses every season, the end goals can change, and therefore the need for staying at the the current soccer level can and do change. It’s silly to think that it doesn’t happen both ways on the pyramid. I know of several GDA players moving down to NPL next year. Some are starters and some are not. Some are because they have their college commitment wrapped up, and some are because their end goals are no longer lining with what GDA is needed for.

I think the OP about the need for constant family/player assessment is spot on, and I see more and more of it happening as families get wiser to what their priorities are. Many are no longer letting their ego and peer pressure, force them up the pyramid past where they are able to reasonably able to keep up, or even need. This is a good thing, and is signaling that the clubs have maxed out on the top end of where parents will blindly follow.
                        Bingo. It is highly likely my son can attain his goals playing for a cheaper club in a less time consuming league.

Comment

Wait, what? I posted about my son, and no, he's not quitting soccer, and not dropping down a level, though he did leave his old club.

My point in posting was to say 1. Parents don't always know what they have (in their player) when they start club (both ways, they don't realize their kid is as talented as they are, or they think their kid is more talented than they are) and

2. Why the need to continually disparage other kids and their family's choices?

As I said, my rule is "If it works, do it. If it doesn't work, change it"

No one can know all the factors that go into a family's decision, and so they really shouldn't be issuing blanket statements.

There are many routes to the top. There's DA, there's prep school, and high level club. What works for one family won't work for another. Do what is best for your family and your player. Please, don't worry about anyone else's decision.

Comment

Wait, what? I posted about my son, and no, he's not quitting soccer, and not dropping down a level, though he did leave his old club.

My point in posting was to say 1. Parents don't always know what they have (in their player) when they start club (both ways, they don't realize their kid is as talented as they are, or they think their kid is more talented than they are) and

2. Why the need to continually disparage other kids and their family's choices?

As I said, my rule is "If it works, do it. If it doesn't work, change it"

No one can know all the factors that go into a family's decision, and so they really shouldn't be issuing blanket statements.

There are many routes to the top. There's DA, there's prep school, and high level club. What works for one family won't work for another. Do what is best for your family and your player. Please, don't worry about anyone else's decision.
                            Other than one jack wagon post earlier, no one is saying anything about anyone else’s decisions here. In fact most everyone has been agreeing with the very original post that if you are happy and can do it without issues, go as far up as you can and do what floats your boat. The idea that you should reassess if any combo of money/travel/commitment/happiness gets out of wack is hardly controversial. Of course there are the idiots who will mortgage their house before willingly giving up a roster spot on a top team, even if it is overkill to the kids potential or goals. Those ones I have no problem judging.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X