Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No, just a parent. One who knows about the club, sees it's history (clubs like to brag on their websites), reads the landscape and understands it's not out of the realm of possibility. So, like any good planner...we planned for it should it happen. We intentionally booked a flexible summer camp that week should we have to cancel. Didn't make any reservations anywhere definite, since there are 10 other summer weeks to chose from.

See, that's how life works. If you plan ahead, you don't have to deal with the fall-out after.

I wish more families took this approach when you sign up for an activity that demands dedication.
    Sounds like your situation was an easier read than the other posters. Things can change years to year, especially with all the non stop changes in youth soccer. Harder yet for younger teams to gauge future success.

As for dedication? First families expect some dedication from the clubs to their kids. That often times is not there. Spending that extra time and money is a big ask. Second this isn't NCAA D1 finals here. Youth soccer now means if you can't win a championship in one league just go join another. Just look at how many posts it takes just to explain the structure! Going is a great experience for those who make it and want to go. But families who can't or don't want to go shouldn't be pressured to do so.

Comment

Sounds like your situation was an easier read than the other posters. Things can change years to year, especially with all the non stop changes in youth soccer. Harder yet for younger teams to gauge future success.

As for dedication? First families expect some dedication from the clubs to their kids. That often times is not there. Spending that extra time and money is a big ask. Second this isn't NCAA D1 finals here. Youth soccer now means if you can't win a championship in one league just go join another. Just look at how many posts it takes just to explain the structure! Going is a great experience for those who make it and want to go. But families who can't or don't want to go shouldn't be pressured to do so.

As someone said earlier: Don't go, please. Really, much rather have a group of 11 who are dedicated and live the game than 18 trying to get out of it all the time.

Comment

If you sign your kid up for a team with the possibility of a National Championship trip at the end of the season REGARDLESS of how likely your team is to advance, then PLAN on being there, and make family, camp, or whatever plans AROUND those dates. I am also a parent, and it annoys me to no end the parents who act aghast at the notion that their kids soccer team success is ruining their summer. Please do us all a favor, and go back to an NEP team that is done in early June and not entered in State Cup.

Comment

Decades ago, our youth hockey team got hot at the right time and made the Nationals. It was a surprise, as we beat two teams who crushed us in tournaments earlier in the year. Caught everyone off-guard.

My parents were not expecting it. They were absolutely thrilled for us, and made it work. It was a memory I cherish to this day. I have stayed close with some of those teammates over the years.

Did it affect anything I did in the future? Did it help me in college, employment, life? Not directly. Would I, or my parents do it again? No doubt at all.

I am just as thrilled to see my daughter have similar experiences as I did, and see why my parents were thrilled for me.

Comment

As someone said earlier: Don't go, please. Really, much rather have a group of 11 who are dedicated and live the game than 18 trying to get out of it all the time.
            Good luck with that. Ours barely scraped a team together last year and one player got injured right away. You need at least 14. If you've never spent time in CO the altitude can be crushing as well. We had fun last year, great experience for the kids. Admittedly I won't be too sad if we don't make it this year, but will go if it happens. IN was close enough that some were able to drive if they wanted. If we make it this year I'm not sure as many will be willing to spend on flights, rental cars etc.

Comment

Decades ago, our youth hockey team got hot at the right time and made the Nationals. It was a surprise, as we beat two teams who crushed us in tournaments earlier in the year. Caught everyone off-guard.

My parents were not expecting it. They were absolutely thrilled for us, and made it work. It was a memory I cherish to this day. I have stayed close with some of those teammates over the years.

Did it affect anything I did in the future? Did it help me in college, employment, life? Not directly. Would I, or my parents do it again? No doubt at all.

I am just as thrilled to see my daughter have similar experiences as I did, and see why my parents were thrilled for me.

I think the difference now is it’s manufactured (the title)to support the industry and the bragging right share partly what parents pay for.

Decades ago it was organic. Now there are tons of different leagues and some would argue DA is best so how do you become a national champion playing against lower tier competition.

Standing on the sidelines I heard two years ago nefc was national champion and someone rubutted the claim poking holes in the tournament and competition they faced then the next year I heard it was Gps same age group. Not sure if it went back to nefc last year but what happened to the rest of the country? Are we really the best and it just alternates between our top teams as to who the best in the nation is?

It doesn’t pass the smell test. That being said the parents spend enough $ and time and if they want to brag I’m happy to smile and nod but unless my kid makes DA then the national team I personally don’t have any interest in the optional travel etc. I’ll steer them towards close practices, good families etc

Comment

I think the difference now is it’s manufactured (the title)to support the industry and the bragging right share partly what parents pay for.

Decades ago it was organic. Now there are tons of different leagues and some would argue DA is best so how do you become a national champion playing against lower tier competition.

Standing on the sidelines I heard two years ago nefc was national champion and someone rubutted the claim poking holes in the tournament and competition they faced then the next year I heard it was Gps same age group. Not sure if it went back to nefc last year but what happened to the rest of the country? Are we really the best and it just alternates between our top teams as to who the best in the nation is?

It doesn’t pass the smell test. That being said the parents spend enough $ and time and if they want to brag I’m happy to smile and nod but unless my kid makes DA then the national team I personally don’t have any interest in the optional travel etc. I’ll steer them towards close practices, good families etc
                Why can't people participate without bragging? You equate sideline blowhards with something means something. It doesn't. Seriously...no team in the N'East can honestly say they are the top team in the country.

Me, I'll enjoy the experience with my kid and love watching her bond and grow friendships. First time we flew on a plane for a tournament it was like Christmas for her. It actually served as motivation to get better so she can keep doing it.

Comment

That’s great. No one says you have to go to a top league, and no one says that those national championships are everyone’s cup of tea. But please do not sign up for a team that has the possibility of going to one, and then act all surprised, indignant, and/or holier-than-thou about going if you’re team makes it. People who do nothing but bitch and moan and complain about things they CHOSE to sign up for are the most annoying kind of people to have on your team.

Comment

That’s great. No one says you have to go to a top league, and no one says that those national championships are everyone’s cup of tea. But please do not sign up for a team that has the possibility of going to one, and then act all surprised, indignant, and/or holier-than-thou about going if you’re team makes it. People who do nothing but bitch and moan and complain about things they CHOSE to sign up for are the most annoying kind of people to have on your team.

What happens is they become a sideline cancer. They get unhappy, and try to gain support by spreading it around. Gang mentality....misery loves company.

I try to stay the hell away from them, honestly.

Comment

No and I would never sign up for those teams.

I was just drawing a distinction between my youth and now. I think people have less of a. Appetite for the sacrifices because the titles have far less credibility and then it calls into question what you are sacrificing for.

At the end of the day, people can do what they want. However I did get mr. Bitter’s point in that it’s finw that you choose to do it just don’t jam down my throat that your son is a national champion.

Are there still two state cups? And therefore two groups that could claim to be the state champion

Comment

No and I would never sign up for those teams.

I was just drawing a distinction between my youth and now. I think people have less of a. Appetite for the sacrifices because the titles have far less credibility and then it calls into question what you are sacrificing for.

At the end of the day, people can do what they want. However I did get mr. Bitter’s point in that it’s finw that you choose to do it just don’t jam down my throat that your son is a national champion.

Are there still two state cups? And therefore two groups that could claim to be the state champion
                        Ram it down your throat? If someone is obnoxiously telling you any chance they can in any conversation that their kid won a National Championship, then that would get old quick, but as a parent of a kid who has been part of an NPL National Champion team, I can tell you that is still a huge deal. Not only as part of as a huge soccer accomplishment, but also as a lifetime experience that has impacted her life. You can poo poo the overall meaning of it, and ridicule it’s importance because you weren’t there, and you didn’t experience it. We did, it was huge and a memory of a lifetime, which I refuse to apologize for being proud of for my kid, or posting pics all over my FB when it happened.

Comment

Ram it down your throat? If someone is obnoxiously telling you any chance they can in any conversation that their kid won a National Championship, then that would get old quick, but as a parent of a kid who has been part of an NPL National Champion team, I can tell you that is still a huge deal. Not only as part of as a huge soccer accomplishment, but also as a lifetime experience that has impacted her life. You can poo poo the overall meaning of it, and ridicule it’s importance because you weren’t there, and you didn’t experience it. We did, it was huge and a memory of a lifetime, which I refuse to apologize for being proud of for my kid, or posting pics all over my FB when it happened.
                          I don't fault you but I would still mock you.

Comment

Again I was pretty indifferent. Mr bitter was the guy who seemed genuinely bothered. I expect that if a family spends that amount of time and $ they will buy in to a large extent and be proud. The other guys point was partly

A. The team didn’t beat the “best” non DA teams in winning the national championship. Not sure how he knew that

B. Got cut in tryouts for academy teams

So the road to the national championship entailed not making the top league then playing some solid teams in a tournament.

That being said I’d be proud. And if I spent the time and money I’m sure I’d talk about it and I’m sure people wouldn’t like it.

Can’t keep everyone happy. Enjoy the trip and don’t worry about

Comment

^^^ Exactly

The mere fact that you play on a high level team will pizz some people off

The mere fact you play soccer for a large club will pizz some people off

The mere fact that you play club soccer will pizz some people off

The mere fact that you play soccer at all will pizz some people off

Comment

Yep, NEFC were 'national champs' but not MA champs, couldn't beat Valeo.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X