Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPL Playoffs/State Cups

It's my understanding that the "top four" teams play-off on 6/9 & 6/10. The winner goes to X (some National tourney sometime, somewhere). I see on the NEP page the schedule link.

Question is, is it the "top four" teams from the NPL A? Or, is it the "top two" teams from NPL A and the "top two" teams in NPL B? Or, do the NPL B play in the NEP playoffs?

Next question re: State Cups, does each State winner go to the Region, which then goes to Y (some National tourney sometime, somewhere). Does X=Y?

Having not a ton of exposure in this, it's thouroughly confusing. Wwhhhyyyy...back in my day we'd have tourneys and winners, going to Regional tourneys and winners, going to National tourneys. With how soccer has completely f-ed all this up, I can't figure out what the plan is.

(And, yes, I get DA and ECNL is where all the superstahs are, so could we keep that in the other three dozen threads out there?)

I suppose, as a follow up, do the Northeast NPL teams compete at some tourney with the NEP NPL teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I suppose, as a follow up, do the Northeast NPL teams compete at some tourney with the NEP NPL teams?
      Yes. NPL championship in July with all the other npl league champs

Comment

It's my understanding that the "top four" teams play-off on 6/9 & 6/10. The winner goes to X (some National tourney sometime, somewhere). I see on the NEP page the schedule link.

Question is, is it the "top four" teams from the NPL A? Or, is it the "top two" teams from NPL A and the "top two" teams in NPL B? Or, do the NPL B play in the NEP playoffs?

Next question re: State Cups, does each State winner go to the Region, which then goes to Y (some National tourney sometime, somewhere). Does X=Y?

Having not a ton of exposure in this, it's thouroughly confusing. Wwhhhyyyy...back in my day we'd have tourneys and winners, going to Regional tourneys and winners, going to National tourneys. With how soccer has completely f-ed all this up, I can't figure out what the plan is.

(And, yes, I get DA and ECNL is where all the superstahs are, so could we keep that in the other three dozen threads out there?)
        NPL(A)?1 & 2 versus NPL(B) 1 & 2 in crossover playoff. The champion in each age group goes directly to NPL Championship in Colorado.

State Cup Champions also go directly to National Cup in Colorado the following weekend. Yes, teams can and have won both and have to spend two weekends in Colorado (or Indy) or wherever).

Comment

OK thank you, so this makes sense.

Just to clarify...State Cup Champions don't go to a Regional championship first for the National Cup? Straight to Colorado/Indy with (in theory) 50 teams competing?

So, like NH, ME, VT, RI, etc. with limited teams have an easy road?

Last question is more satirical/rhetorical: Why have two?

Comment

Is there a State Cup for US Club Soccer; and a different one for US Youth Soccer?

Comment

Is there a State Cup for US Club Soccer; and a different one for US Youth Soccer?
              Not around here. No USYS premier clubs left. NSL, NEP, NPL are all US Club affiliated now. Hence the added Premier division of NEP State Cups in MA

Comment

OK thank you, so this makes sense.

Just to clarify...State Cup Champions don't go to a Regional championship first for the National Cup? Straight to Colorado/Indy with (in theory) 50 teams competing?

So, like NH, ME, VT, RI, etc. with limited teams have an easy road?

Last question is more satirical/rhetorical: Why have two?
                Yes, New England gets a shortcut, but they have a pretty good record of winning the whole thing with many of their teams, so it saves the hassle of an entirely extra regional playoff first.

As for why there are two.. because they are two different things. One is an NPL league national championship, which includes the winners of all NPL leagues around the country vying for the championship. Only NPL teams eligible. National Cup brings the winners of all the US club soccer affiliated state cup champions to a national cup championship. That is open to many more teams, because it could include teams from all US club leagues including NEP, NSL, and ECNL (although most of our ECNL team stop participating after U13)

Comment

Yes, New England gets a shortcut, but they have a pretty good record of winning the whole thing with many of their teams, so it saves the hassle of an entirely extra regional playoff first.

As for why there are two.. because they are two different things. One is an NPL league national championship, which includes the winners of all NPL leagues around the country vying for the championship. Only NPL teams eligible. National Cup brings the winners of all the US club soccer affiliated state cup champions to a national cup championship. That is open to many more teams, because it could include teams from all US club leagues including NEP, NSL, and ECNL (although most of our ECNL team stop participating after U13)
                  So, an NPL team has two cracks at going; through NPL and through a state cup?

Question for anyone who has gone, preferably to both: Which one has better competition?

Comment

So, an NPL team has two cracks at going; through NPL and through a state cup?

Question for anyone who has gone, preferably to both: Which one has better competition?
                    Depends year to year. Both are a little weaker in early rounds and stronger in the later. But one year the NPL championship game was much harder, and one year the national cup game was tougher competition. Now keep in mind that clubs like NEFC & Legends FC in SoCal used to have ALL their top teams in NPL, but now those are in GDA (except at U13). And some years there are more ECNL representation in state cups (and conversely National Cup), so if that happens, the National Cup gets stronger.

Comment

There is an additional twist this year--at least on the boys side. The NPL boys championship has merged with the ECNL boys championship, so the top NPL boys teams will be playing against the top ECNL boys teams to determine one winner.

Comment

And if you are in Premier bracket of National Cup, you are playing MUCH weaker competition. But then again, you being in Premier division means your team is also MUCH weaker competition. LOL!

Comment

And if you are in Premier bracket of National Cup, you are playing MUCH weaker competition. But then again, you being in Premier division means your team is also MUCH weaker competition. LOL!
                          I guess have at it. I got my questions answered to the d!ck measuring contest can commence now....

Comment

I guess have at it. I got my questions answered to the d!ck measuring contest can commence now....
                            Hey not OP, but you did ask which championship had better competition. Truth is that the National Cup (unlike the NPL Championship) has a secondary division for the weaker teams. Super Group division is much tougher, especially at the National Cup. And NPL Nationals on par with National Cup Super Group.

Comment

Are there roster limitations/rules? Since July activity typically means you are into the following year and training schedule, do teams take the previous team or the newer one (assuming better players are on the new one)?

I can envision a scenario where teams have a hard time getting a full squad, if some amount aren't picked for next year they will give the F-U, and if the newer replacement players can't suit up.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X