Best clubs north of Boston

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This won't apply to the OP for this year, his kid being a year too young, but the announcement below from last May mentions that the U15-U19 Boys Seacoast NPL teams will be run out of Amesbury for the '17/'18 season. You'd have to call the club and check if that's actually the case and if they are planning on doing the same for next year. Could be an option if you're not too far from Amesbury.

http://seacoastunitedma.com/clubs/so...2017-18-season

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm the OP here and I can say that this comment really resonates. We've been with Aztec for a few years and it has gone downhill in a big way. The NEFC website says that have a "2004 Elite" team and I'm wondering if people think that's near NPL or ECNL quality. The goal here is likely D3.
      Don't fall in to the 'Elite' trap. It's a marketing ploy by almost all clubs to make you feel comfortable. They are all still NEP level teams.

NPL and ECNL are clear labels that the team is a higher level of play. Any other label (i.e. Elite) is club-specific and does not mean anything.

Comment

This won't apply to the OP for this year, his kid being a year too young, but the announcement below from last May mentions that the U15-U19 Boys Seacoast NPL teams will be run out of Amesbury for the '17/'18 season. You'd have to call the club and check if that's actually the case and if they are planning on doing the same for next year. Could be an option if you're not too far from Amesbury.

http://seacoastunitedma.com/clubs/so...2017-18-season
        We were among those looking forward to that option, but unfortunately, while they held tryouts with that intention (at least for the boys), soon afterwards they notified attendees that the NPL teams were going to remain based in Epping.

Comment

Don't fall in to the 'Elite' trap. It's a marketing ploy by almost all clubs to make you feel comfortable. They are all still NEP level teams.

NPL and ECNL are clear labels that the team is a higher level of play. Any other label (i.e. Elite) is club-specific and does not mean anything.
          I have a question about this. My kid has been to a few ID camps and it seems like those coaches just want to know that you're on a club team. It's more like just checking a box that the kid plays club. I get the sense that they don't have the time or interest to figure out whether a kid is NPL or NEP Elite or any of that. They look at their grades and see how the kid performs in two days of an ID camp.

Am I missing something?

Comment

I have a question about this. My kid has been to a few ID camps and it seems like those coaches just want to know that you're on a club team. It's more like just checking a box that the kid plays club. I get the sense that they don't have the time or interest to figure out whether a kid is NPL or NEP Elite or any of that. They look at their grades and see how the kid performs in two days of an ID camp.

Am I missing something?
            I can't speak to ID camps since my kid isn't there yet. But...I can say that there is a thread on TS where a college coach provided feedback about what he (and other coaches in his opinion) thought about ECNL versus NPL versus NEP.

I would assume most college coaches know that there is a different level of play between NPL and NEP but, in fairness, they want to see if the kid is any good during the ID camp.

Comment

Only one option better than Seacoast:

Every other team.

Spend the time and go to perspective teams games in spring and watch and try to get a feel for the coaching. It's an investment worth making.

I really have nothing good to say about Seacoast having spent a few years there. Moved to another big club BASED on good things I heard about the coach and hit a grand slam. FIND A COACH THAT YOU feel will best TEACH your son or daughter. Especially at a young age where learning FUN damentals is vital for future development.

Comment

Every other team.

Spend the time and go to perspective teams games in spring and watch and try to get a feel for the coaching. It's an investment worth making.

I really have nothing good to say about Seacoast having spent a few years there. Moved to another big club BASED on good things I heard about the coach and hit a grand slam. FIND A COACH THAT YOU feel will best TEACH your son or daughter. Especially at a young age where learning FUN damentals is vital for future development.
                I'll disagree on every point from our experience.

Comment

Every other team.

Hmm. Perhaps a better way to put it might be that different things work better for different players. My own D finds coaches that are all about "fun" annoying, and yup, she's still young. Asked me to get her off her town team with a big focus on fun and onto a team where skills are being taught. Found exactly what we were looking for at Seacoast. Her coach is terrific, and very serious about development above all. Would he be a good fit for everyone? No, but he's been awesome for my D.

Agree with checking out different teams. So glad we found our team.

Comment

Hmm. Perhaps a better way to put it might be that different things work better for different players. My own D finds coaches that are all about "fun" annoying, and yup, she's still young. Asked me to get her off her town team with a big focus on fun and onto a team where skills are being taught. Found exactly what we were looking for at Seacoast. Her coach is terrific, and very serious about development above all. Would he be a good fit for everyone? No, but he's been awesome for my D.

Agree with checking out different teams. So glad we found our team.
                    Agreed, we ran from another club because my D wanted to get with players who were dedicated like herself. Working hard and learning is the fun for her.

Comment

As the OP I want to thank people for all of the replies. Very helpful. The more I have researched this question the more NEFC is rising to the top. They are apparently planning to expand their presence on the north shore and (while people will always have complaints about specific clubs) NEFC seems to be the dog with the fewest fleas.

Comment

Nefc expanding on the north shore? Please tell...looking for a change out of Seacoast but would only consider a change if we had true quality like other regions in MA. The coaches and teams definitely sub par at nefc ns at this point, especially the U11-12 girls

Comment

Nefc expanding on the north shore? Please tell...looking for a change out of Seacoast but would only consider a change if we had true quality like other regions in MA. The coaches and teams definitely sub par at nefc ns at this point, especially the U11-12 girls
                          I do not care what club, what sport or what gender it is, making a youth sports decision based on the performance of their U11-12 program is the most foolish thing I have heard. Go look at the performance and accomplishments of their U16-17 teams instead. In youth sports, it is all about results at the U16-17 ages. That is how old the players are when college coaches are making decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            As the OP I want to thank people for all of the replies. Very helpful. The more I have researched this question the more NEFC is rising to the top. They are apparently planning to expand their presence on the north shore and (while people will always have complaints about specific clubs) NEFC seems to be the dog with the fewest fleas.
                            Brought to you by NEFC. Told you so. You people are so gullible. The Cambridge Analytica of clubs.

Comment

I do not care what club, what sport or what gender it is, making a youth sports decision based on the performance of their U11-12 program is the most foolish thing I have heard. Go look at the performance and accomplishments of their U16-17 teams instead. In youth sports, it is all about results at the U16-17 ages. That is how old the players are when college coaches are making decisions.
                              No, they are really bad, and the coaches are equally bad. Why would i put up with weak coaches and weak players for a few years before U16?

Comment

No, they are really bad, and the coaches are equally bad. Why would i put up with weak coaches and weak players for a few years before U16?
                                Yes, and just because a club might have strong U16/U17 teams right now, it doesn't mean they will in 5-6 more years when the OPs kid is that age. If your kid is U11, you want to make sure the U11-U13 teams are strong, usually indicating decent coaches and fairly good players in those age groups. If you have a strong U11 players, you don't put her on a weak U11 team, just because the current U16s are top in their bracket.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X