No soccer games! Club is dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much touches on the bar I love that one! I know that’s not what you meant but it does sound like a lot of our Rhode Island parents here!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Bayside and Bruno and Liverpool are the major three clubs here in Rhode Island and they can probably work out some kind of schedule to play each other to keep the fall interesting and to keep the kids safe and stay in the state but that’s really not that big of an issue our country is so focused on games and trophies and awards that we as parents lose sight of what youth soccer even with clubs is all about he should spend this file focusing on developing our players making them stronger and smarter on the field. If you’ve ever paid attention to what is going on with youth soccer in other countries you would know that games are not that crucial at this age it’s about getting as much touches on the bar and solid development is possible your kid is not going to miss out on missing out on games when they don’t get that many touches on the ball in the game anyway. So if the Rhode Island clubs can’t figure out how to scrimmage or play each other this fall the parents don’t need to ask the clubs for money back but they need to ask for is more time on the field practicing and developing if your team practices twice a week asked to practice three times a week in Lou of games it’s not that hard.
      You must not be a Baysidefc or Bruno parent posting. I can't talk for Liverpool but Baysidefc parents are insane!! All they care is how many leagues wins and how many tournament's wins.
      Go down to EP and see them practice , it looks like Narragansett beach with out the sand. They park their chairs right on the fence . We came from Bruno because parents didn't talk to each other at practice or games . At Bayside they do talk to each other but only about how good their team is going to be. I think they would by pass on practices and just play games and tournaments if they could.

Comment

You must not be a Baysidefc or Bruno parent posting. I can't talk for Liverpool but Baysidefc parents are insane!! All they care is how many leagues wins and how many tournament's wins.
        Go down to EP and see them practice , it looks like Narragansett beach with out the sand. They park their chairs right on the fence . We came from Bruno because parents didn't talk to each other at practice or games . At Bayside they do talk to each other but only about how good their team is going to be. I think they would by pass on practices and just play games and tournaments if they could.
        Bayside fc is what RI is about. They don't realize they are hanging half way up that fence spewing when the game is tight.
        In there minds its cordial and friendly.
        I think its getting better.

Comment

No don’t go on to another anti Bayside kick. Bayside has good players. Agreed let the three major clubs Bayside, Bruno, and Liverpool figure out a RI game schedule as a back up plan in case MA still doesn’t let us in.

Comment

No don’t go on to another anti Bayside kick. Bayside has good players. Agreed let the three major clubs Bayside, Bruno, and Liverpool figure out a RI game schedule as a back up plan in case MA still doesn’t let us in.
            Why would Liverpool or Bruno want to play Baysidefc? They are not stupid enough to let Baysidefc see their best players and have PB call the players parents everyday to get them to go over to Baysidefc.

Comment

You can call me Covid Karen but when I see all of these club soccer teams violating the strict health protocols, I have no choice but to call the RI Gov snitch line.

Over the past two weeks, I’ve been secretly filming club practices, scrimmages, etc all over the state. I have a mountain of evidence that says RI club sports don’t understand how to operate in Phase 3 and have just sent it to the governor’s office, where I have a close contact.

Club sports are jeopardizing the start of schools and the health of all Rhode Islanders.

Comment

You can call me Covid Karen but when I see all of these club soccer teams violating the strict health protocols, I have no choice but to call the RI Gov snitch line.

Over the past two weeks, I’ve been secretly filming club practices, scrimmages, etc all over the state. I have a mountain of evidence that says RI club sports don’t understand how to operate in Phase 3 and have just sent it to the governor’s office, where I have a close contact.

Club sports are jeopardizing the start of schools and the health of all Rhode Islanders.
                While you are at it ask your source the extent of community spread in these club practices. You will be surprised to learn it has been nonexistent. Focus your private investigator skills elsewhere where the virus is spreading.

Comment

Wow. Who is this jerk with no life. Creeping practices and videotaping?!?! Creeper if I saw you I would call the police on you video taping children! You have no right. Our club btw follows all the rules . Get a life stocker. Sports is not the risk to school Reopening. It’s the bars, crowded restaurants and people carpooling and going to work sick. Have you not listened to the news? Or better your governor?

Comment

Don’t let this loser stress you. State police received over 400 snitch calls last week. They followed up like 80 of them and they issued no fines. This person is a trouble maker and I don’t even know why they come on TS.

Comment

Too much focus on games

As Dean Whitehouse, a youth coach at Manchester United, puts it:

"It is crucial that everyone understands that games should be utilized for learning, and players feel that they have the freedom to express themselves. We realize that the final score is not as important as learning at this moment. If young players are pressured to win every time they step on the field, they will not receive the opportunities that are vital to their development, nor will they feel confident about practicing and implementing new skills or ideas."

The teams that are sneaking around to play games in ALL SPORTS right now are not helping their kids out. I would not put my kid in a club that was game (ego) focused. Developmental academy style practices are what matters to me. The kids can play their own pick up games when they hang out without nasty parents screaming. If clubs can’t play games or youth SRI etc this fall make this a time for real development not just team but individual.

Comment

As Dean Whitehouse, a youth coach at Manchester United, puts it:

"It is crucial that everyone understands that games should be utilized for learning, and players feel that they have the freedom to express themselves. We realize that the final score is not as important as learning at this moment. If young players are pressured to win every time they step on the field, they will not receive the opportunities that are vital to their development, nor will they feel confident about practicing and implementing new skills or ideas."

The teams that are sneaking around to play games in ALL SPORTS right now are not helping their kids out. I would not put my kid in a club that was game (ego) focused. Developmental academy style practices are what matters to me. The kids can play their own pick up games when they hang out without nasty parents screaming. If clubs can’t play games or youth SRI etc this fall make this a time for real development not just team but individual.
                        Totally poor reference. Our kids aren't MU acadamy, Ill be doing this forever. These kids now is Now. They mostly like soccer for the games. Get off the MU references.

Comment

Really? Trust me if contact tracing pointed to sports then Governor would shut down. You are doing more damage than good and wasting people's time. What do you own a bar?

Comment

Totally poor reference. Our kids aren't MU acadamy, Ill be doing this forever. These kids now is Now. They mostly like soccer for the games. Get off the MU references.
                            I had this thought while watching my kid play baseball a week or two ago. There are no other sports that bang this drum anywhere nearly as loudly as soccer. You're a kid and play another sport? Winning is fun, let's go try to do that. You play soccer? All of a sudden, every kid on the field is a potential future prospect for the national team, so games have to be about 'development' and winning is not really part of the object. Well guess what? If your kid is on a team that is great at development but can't win a game because they're so locked into a particular coaching ideology? That kid is going to get tired of losing and either want to go to a "better" team, or they might even quit altogether. Because losing week in and week out, with seemingly no end, is not fun, and fun should at least be part of the whole journey little Mia/Christian is on.

Comment

I had this thought while watching my kid play baseball a week or two ago. There are no other sports that bang this drum anywhere nearly as loudly as soccer. You're a kid and play another sport? Winning is fun, let's go try to do that. You play soccer? All of a sudden, every kid on the field is a potential future prospect for the national team, so games have to be about 'development' and winning is not really part of the object. Well guess what? If your kid is on a team that is great at development but can't win a game because they're so locked into a particular coaching ideology? That kid is going to get tired of losing and either want to go to a "better" team, or they might even quit altogether. Because losing week in and week out, with seemingly no end, is not fun, and fun should at least be part of the whole journey little Mia/Christian is on.
                              Scoring goals is fun too (and probably the best aspect of playing for most kids and somewhat necessary for winning) so I suppose you hate mercy rules?

Since for most games there is a winner and a loser, you are saying the best situation is where kids flock to the "better" team -- well the math says at some point the better teams have to either be all somewhat equal (then there is no real "better") or you need a horde of fodder kids/teams for the better teams to have their "fun" playing.

The reality is soccer is an individual game at the young ages. The game is just a construct for kids to practice their skills and ability to think and execute under pressure that often doesn't exist in training. That's until about U14 or so when the game certainly becomes more about the team and winning.

But there is of course a element of truth in your post -- that's why the ideal situation at u10 and below for sure is Academy style, non-fixed rosters. One team isn't doing well - rebalance the team for the next match -- heck, in a great situation it's round robin small sided games so coaches move kids between games (yes in practice a bit harder to do but an academy set up can at least move kids intra-club on a weekly basis).

Where the issue has been is at ages 12 and below, kids develop differently physically and a stud athlete can just play out kick, out run, and out muscle to "win" games and too many coaches (and parents) think that's a sign of the future and great coaching.

SRI and the larger USYS would "preach one thing" but their practices (fixed rosters, protected fiefdoms to grow teams vice grow quality with the old 3 town rule, protected weak premier clubs that would have folded earlier without the protection, made ODP a pay for play vice a real merit based program, etc.).

Most kids aren't playing in college so what becomes fun for them is playing with their friends and high school teammates -- my kids did that and they didn't mind being "middle of the run" because it was about the next fall's HS season. The coach of that team didn't play to win (per se - of course he wanted to be competitive) but worked on stuff the HS coach didn't have time to spend on in the limited HS period (like set plays and building out of the back, etc.).

Comment

Lots of chatter about focus on winning vs development. Agreed kids 12 and under must get the basics. A good coach evaluates the game taking note as players play and uses the game as a teaching tool. I know some coaches even record their games, watch the game, and then send individual feedback to the players. The coaches that fail our kids spend the game scraping at them, and after the game lecturing them. These coaches play the same group of kids as their "starters" every game. They follow a formula, big slow kid in goal, slow big kids on D, long legged runners in mid, and fast savvy players who can shoot up front. When those players need a rest they pull in their subs. Kids get bored with this style which the play to win idea. The practices are a few warm up drills with the same formation I mentioned scrimmaging each other "team development" over individual. Now this is more of an issue on town soccer, and note the coaches kid, that kid will be up front often playing the most. However clubs can have this mentality too. I have a kid who was Bayside and now Surf... guess what both clubs play to win. They play hard to win. I am not sure, but it seems the parents and coaches are pushing it. Both clubs are win at all costs and same stressed out screaming parents are at both clubs. So we have two major problems here, the RI town model (play to win by putting big kids in back, fast kids up front, everyone else on bench) or the club model (screaming parents focused only on winning and bragging.) Neither is focused on individual development. That's why kids in RI mostly won't play D1. They will burn out from Daddy screaming and forcing them to run 4 miles a day, orrrr they will quit town soccer when they get cut from their friends because they were not big enough, fast enough whatever....Need to focus on each individual not only winning.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X