Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will RI have High School Soccer this fall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020-nfhs-guidance-for-opening-up-high-school-athletics-and-activities-nfhs-smac-may-15_2020-final.pdf

Ugh still nothing on reopening of high school sports. My son is a rising sophomore. He plays town competitive, club, and high school. Although high school isn't the most competitive, he loves it. It motivates him to keep his grades up. Hie best friend is on the football team. Different sports but they train together over the summer conditioning and hanging out. They are concerned. Their teammates are all starting to get together but the the talk is, "we don't think we can have a season because we play contact sports." Anyone hear anything new?
    These kids are super down.

Comment

There was a rumor that soccer would be in the spring and baseball in the fall.
      Football in the spring too.
      That's hard for those kids who play lacrosse and football but they will be forced to choose.
      Sports with less contact will be fall and contact in the spring.
      I am not sure if that is still being considered.

Sports approved or being considered for the fall: baseball, golf, tennis, volleyball,
      Sports for the spring (contact): lacrosse, football, soccer,
      Basketball possibly not happening at all due to very little protection skin to skin, sweaty close contact, indoor sport. If it happens considering outside only late spring.
      Volleyball can also be set-up outdoors, but this is not considered a big contact sport.

Comment

Predictions Girls HS ranking
        1. CW
        2. Coventry
        3. Prout
        4. Lasalle
        5. Mt. Hope
        6. Scituate
        7. NK
        8. SK
        9. Portsmouth
        10. Barrington

Comment

Yes high school soccer.
          This is what I’m hearing from a local high school AD who is talking to other ADs.

Fall sports:
          Soccer, volleyball, tennis, baseball, softball, cross country

Spring sports:
          Football, lacrosse, cheerleading, basketball

Winter:
          Swimming, Skiing, Track

Sports cancelled for this year: wrestling

Multi sport kids will have to choose and might miss out on a sport.
          No travel outside of RI or MA.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Winter:
            Swimming, Skiing, Track
            Have I just not noticed, or do a lot of schools have indoor track facilities? Because track in the winter, in New England?

Comment

Don’t forget golf in the fall.
              Track is a spring sport unless they mean practicing running around the gyms over the winter

Comment

Here you go... Moderate sports can be played, High risk not until spring. I'm surprised about basketball.

Here’s how 25 sports were categorized:

High risk (not being considered until spring)

Boys lacrosse
                Competitive cheer
                Dance
                Football
                Wrestling

Moderate risk (these are the only sports being considered fall and winter)
                Baseball
                Basketball
                Field hockey
                Girls lacrosse
                Gymnastics
                Ice hockey
                Soccer
                Softball
                Swimming relays
                Tennis
                Track -- certain events (high jump)
                Volleyball
                7 on 7 football

Comment

Monday, Aug 17, 2020
                  - First Day of Practice - Fall Sports

fingers crossed that means soccer!

Comment

https://www.nfhs.org/media/3812287/2020-nfhs-guidance-for-opening-up-high-school-athletics-and-activities-nfhs-smac-may-15_2020-final.pdf

Soccer is on the moderate list in RI. I have a good feeling after listening to the governor today that since she wants schools open, and businesses open she will also want the sports open. I think the only switch she will make to sports is switching baseball to fall and football to spring. All the other fall sports are moderate and can be left alone. Come winter she will have to make a tough call about wrestling which could be moved to spring or sadly cancelled as it is the highest risk sport. She will do the right thing and get the kids back to school with sports to be as normal as possible with added safety measures. It's what our kids need.

Comment

Basketball should be high risk. I don't understand that at all.

Comment

MA Gov is not getting the memo about the sports being safe to play with safety precautions. Glad our Gov understands that we can have sports now. I only hope that RI club teams don't travel outside of RI or MA this fall.

Comment

Ivies, including Brown, cancelled sports for the Fall. Hard to imagine middle schools and high schools having a Fall soccer season. Especially, in light of new evidence of COVID being airborne. While most of us know we can use common sense precautions, the liability risk may be too great for our school systems.

Comment

Ivies, including Brown, cancelled sports for the Fall. Hard to imagine middle schools and high schools having a Fall soccer season. Especially, in light of new evidence of COVID being airborne. While most of us know we can use common sense precautions, the liability risk may be too great for our school systems.
                            I agree. Summer training sessions may be all the kids get this year. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Comment

I agree. Summer training sessions may be all the kids get this year. Enjoy it while it lasts.
                              Canceled Ivy League sports has a lot more to do with how those schools are planning to operate in the coming year than it does with any perceived risk involved with athletics. With their residential nature, colleges are restricting how many students will be back on campus at any given time. Those restrictions are too logistically challenging if they try to carve out exceptions for athletes. For example, at least some of these schools will not have freshmen on campus in one semester, sophomores in the next, etc. I.e., there will be no time in the coming year in which all team members will be on campus at the same time. This announcement about fall sports is just the beginning. If nothing changes appreciably to allow this policy to be relaxed, they're going to cancel winter and spring sports as well.

Bottom line is that colleges canceling sports has little to do with the actual safe conduct of athletic competition, and is therefore not relevant to the discussion about whether or not there will be high school sports.

Comment

Canceled Ivy League sports has a lot more to do with how those schools are planning to operate in the coming year than it does with any perceived risk involved with athletics. With their residential nature, colleges are restricting how many students will be back on campus at any given time. Those restrictions are too logistically challenging if they try to carve out exceptions for athletes. For example, at least some of these schools will not have freshmen on campus in one semester, sophomores in the next, etc. I.e., there will be no time in the coming year in which all team members will be on campus at the same time. This announcement about fall sports is just the beginning. If nothing changes appreciably to allow this policy to be relaxed, they're going to cancel winter and spring sports as well.

Bottom line is that colleges canceling sports has little to do with the actual safe conduct of athletic competition, and is therefore not relevant to the discussion about whether or not there will be high school sports.
                                Thank you Governor. What a relief.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X