Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will RI have High School Soccer this fall?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will RI have High School Soccer this fall?

Gov says she is addressing youth sports next week moving into phase 3 and soon after high school sports. Anyone hear anything on fall hs soccer? Some states are creating return to play guidelines for high schools this fall. One stare lists soccer as a moderate risk being outdoors and 50 people together would be allowed.

It’s all very odd since Governor is now allowing in phase 3 100 people to gather at weddings etc.

https://wqow.com/2020/06/18/wiaa-releases-return-to-play-guidelines-for-high-school-sports/

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Gov says she is addressing youth sports next week moving into phase 3 and soon after high school sports. Anyone hear anything on fall hs soccer? Some states are creating return to play guidelines for high schools this fall. One stare lists soccer as a moderate risk being outdoors and 50 people together would be allowed.

It’s all very odd since Governor is now allowing in phase 3 100 people to gather at weddings etc.

https://wqow.com/2020/06/18/wiaa-releases-return-to-play-guidelines-for-high-school-sports/
    why do you keep starting new threads about high school soccer. There are literally multiple threads about it, so PLEASE STOP.

Comment

????? There are no other threads about high school soccer here. Maybe you are following other states but nothing here. So it would be nice to start a discussion as ADs and parents etc are all hoping to get a plan.

Comment

I for one want to know about RI high school soccer as my kid is a sophomore. These are important years.

Comment

I for one want to know about RI high school soccer as my kid is a sophomore. These are important years.
          Sadly, looking at the school guidelines around stable groups, it appears sports, and other extracurriculars would be impossible

Comment

Yes. It is happening.
            You will hear more details in the next few weeks.
            Plans are in the works. Now drop it.

Comment

Sadly, looking at the school guidelines around stable groups, it appears sports, and other extracurriculars would be impossible
              If it was a no, she'd have said it in the guidelines. If football is happening, so is soccer.

Maybe no fans or limited to students and school/game officials.

Test all the kids in early August (two weeks before the season starts).

It's happening though. A team is a stable pod.

RIIL should lean forward though and cancel all non-league games, compress the schedule and be done by end of October.

Comment

Rising sophomore, or current sophomore?

Comment

The governor may allow sports, but will the schools be able to fun them? I know that Coventry town council is trying to cut the school budget by $1.8 million. I can't see any sports if this is the case. I know that many other towns are in the same financial predicament.

Comment

The governor may allow sports, but will the schools be able to fun them? I know that Coventry town council is trying to cut the school budget by $1.8 million. I can't see any sports if this is the case. I know that many other towns are in the same financial predicament.
                    I predict she will say sports are allowed, then say "but must adhere to the following requirements." She will then proceed to list a litany of arbitrary requirements that make actually conducting competitive athletics all but impossible from a practical standpoint.

Comment

You need to dig into your school and town leaders. First, in the supplemental budget just approved by the state, districts are getting not only their FY 20 aid fully, but $50M in funds to help prepare for COVID related expenses.

Second, EVERY town *saved* money by having remote learning -- substitute cost (a huge line item), transportation, utilities, cleaning, athletics (spring), co-curriculars, school supplies. I've been watching my town's presentation - same boat where the town is "level funding" the FY 21 budget, but the town and school each have commented that they have over $1M *each* (and likely more - they hide some of that) in budget surplus.

Ask your town and school for their 3rd quarter financial report (it's a required item sent to the state division of municipal finance) and see the project surplus. Ask for a copy of the FY 19 audit (hmm, not posted on Coventry finance page). I note there is 0 use of prior year surplus in Coventry's FY 21 - ask how much surplus both the town and school project to have this year. I bet it's significant.

Yes your school officials will give you all kinds of "doom and gloom" about the FY 21 budget - the reality is you can't make schools risk free and you're going to have kids all over the place this summer. But it's crap if your local officials are saying sports (which is peanuts in your $70M school budget) can't happen, especially a reduced schedule (eliminate non-league games).

FYI - Most districts pre-paid RIIL for the spring and RIIL did NOT refund the money - just a credit toward FY 21 - ask on that money too!

Comment

You need to dig into your school and town leaders. First, in the supplemental budget just approved by the state, districts are getting not only their FY 20 aid fully, but $50M in funds to help prepare for COVID related expenses.

Second, EVERY town *saved* money by having remote learning -- substitute cost (a huge line item), transportation, utilities, cleaning, athletics (spring), co-curriculars, school supplies. I've been watching my town's presentation - same boat where the town is "level funding" the FY 21 budget, but the town and school each have commented that they have over $1M *each* (and likely more - they hide some of that) in budget surplus.

Ask your town and school for their 3rd quarter financial report (it's a required item sent to the state division of municipal finance) and see the project surplus. Ask for a copy of the FY 19 audit (hmm, not posted on Coventry finance page). I note there is 0 use of prior year surplus in Coventry's FY 21 - ask how much surplus both the town and school project to have this year. I bet it's significant.

Yes your school officials will give you all kinds of "doom and gloom" about the FY 21 budget - the reality is you can't make schools risk free and you're going to have kids all over the place this summer. But it's crap if your local officials are saying sports (which is peanuts in your $70M school budget) can't happen, especially a reduced schedule (eliminate non-league games).

FYI - Most districts pre-paid RIIL for the spring and RIIL did NOT refund the money - just a credit toward FY 21 - ask on that money too!
                        This is all excellent information, thanks very much. I love it when a bureaucrat tries to mislead me and I can smack them down with knowledge.

Comment

This is all excellent information, thanks very much. I love it when a bureaucrat tries to mislead me and I can smack them down with knowledge.
                          Town Manager - Ask for a copy of the FY 19 audit. Look to see the town's "fund balance" amounts.

Hint here iit is - http://www.municipalfinance.ri.gov/documents/data/audits/2019/Coventry-2019-Audit.pdf

ask the TM why it isn't on the Coventry finance page.

page 17 - Coventry town sitting on $23M - As of the close of the fiscal year, the Town's governmental funds reported combined ending fund balances of $23,377,827. Over 38% of this amount, $9,070,921 is unassigned and available for use within the Town's specific
                          designations and fiscal policies.

That was LAST year - your town saved money guaranteed (and don't buy the "oh coronavirus") -- all state education aid was funded, towns are getting COVID money and expenses are down! Probably $11-12M of money and your town can't spring for $400K to pay for HS sports -- don't buy it!!

School Supt and Town Manager - ask for a copy of the "3rd quarter FY 20 Municipal Finance quarterly report" -- look to see the projected net savings. Ask your Coventry School Committee how much the district's FY 20 projected operating surplus is.

School board/town council - ask them what's the point of a huge surplus if you're not going to use it when crap hits the fan??

Comment

She keeps saying today during the Q and A part, "its' a risk, probably not" she says football and soccer are close contact sports. But she won't make final announcement until mid August which is awful.
                            I really don't think it's happening.

Comment

She keeps saying today during the Q and A part, "its' a risk, probably not" she says football and soccer are close contact sports. But she won't make final announcement until mid August which is awful.
                              I really don't think it's happening.
                              When there are photos of hundreds or a thousand people on the beach, she's going to be hard pressed to say why kids who can be tested and monitored (temp checks) in controlled settings with tested adults and limited outsiders can't play a game.

FYI - the colleges are preparing to play -- hard to say why 19-21 year olds can play but 16-18 year olds can't? Maybe eliminate MS soccer - always a bit of crapshow anyway with the lazy RIPCOA folks who can't organize divisions by talent and default to geography knowing 25-40% of the games will be lopsided.

that's an easy one to get rid of for this fall..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X