Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    All of these clowns so far are clueless. They obviously don’t have kids that were accepted and attend these schools.

From a soccer perspective, the league is very competitive and send 4 or 5 teams to the NCAA tournament a year. NESCAC usually has at least one team in the final four a year. Not uncommon for players to get significant pt time as a freshman. Don’t let these clowns tell you the level of play is high school. My kids team has ECNL players and kids who were club players. Is it a d1 level, no, but for those interested in staying relatively close by and going to a strong academic school and playing competitive soccer, nescac is high on the list. Other schools in that category, mit, John Hopkins, uchicago, Carnegie Mellon. Guess what, all of those are in the same price range. Obviously, if you have great academics and want a d1 experience, the ivies are the holy grail.
    Very easy to watch your kid play. Most games are Saturday and Sunday in New England. Maine schools and middlebury are the furthest drives, but plenty in mass and ct. travel for players therefore is minimal. Not leaving on a weekday and missing classes to go to Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, etc. occasional weekday games out of conference are close by. The league has very strict academic focused rules regarding practices, travel, start of season, etc. stricter than ncaa.
    Maine schools have traditionally not been the the most successful on the pitch. The campuses are very nice and out of the three bowdoin is my personal fav. Mass schools have traditionally been very competitive. Williams, Amherst and Tufts in that order. Tufts is the least nescac like as far as feel, but a great school that offers some programs that the others don’t as a university and not a college.
    Ct schools are hit or miss from a soccer perspective. Probably Wesleyan, Trinity, conn college from a soccer perspective.
    The last two schools are in Vermont and N.Y. middlebury is the stronger of the two from a soccer perspective, hamilton has been middle of league table. Both great rural campuses.
    Educationally, these schools are top notch. Contrary to the guys on this thread saying they are history majors, nothing could be further from the truth. Mind you, nothing wrong with history major. Most of my daughters teammates are stem majors and most are double majors or have multiple minors. You won’t see that at the UConn, umass, uri, etc. cheaper cost of attendance, but sometimes you get what you pay for from an academic perspective. The year round practice, longer in season and heavier travel schedule are more difficult on the educational experience. D3 affords the opportunity to study abroad and is more conducive to the labs required for stem classes.
    I leave you with some parting thoughts. My kid hasn’t had any of her teammates transfer out like you see is so common in d1. Her teammates are super smart and supportive. They are competitive on the field, and best friends off it. A lot of them play more than one sport. Coaches aren’t partying and banging players. My kid loves everything about her school

Well worth the cost of attendance in my book....I will sit back and wait for all the guys whose kids can’t get in tell you all the reasons why you should look elsewhere.
    Thank you! Mine is looking at Amherst & Wesleyan thus far and wants to check out a few more. We are from out of the NESCAC states so are looking for as much insight as we can get. We need to take a trip out and visit a bunch of them to get a better idea. We would have to take out some loans but she would be getting a practical, hopefully employable degree! We are also looking at other options but when you’re in the donut hole of not wealthy but make too much for need based aid, the schools that give merit aid don’t make it all that much more affordable. 80-100k in loans over 4 years might be doable for the right school. Keeping options open.

Comment

Thank you! Mine is looking at Amherst & Wesleyan thus far and wants to check out a few more. We are from out of the NESCAC states so are looking for as much insight as we can get. We need to take a trip out and visit a bunch of them to get a better idea. We would have to take out some loans but she would be getting a practical, hopefully employable degree! We are also looking at other options but when you’re in the donut hole of not wealthy but make too much for need based aid, the schools that give merit aid don’t make it all that much more affordable. 80-100k in loans over 4 years might be doable for the right school. Keeping options open.
      $80-100k is what you will get at NESCAC schools about every 2 years at your salary with a sizable family donation in each of those 2 years and taking the $5,500 and $6,500 FAFSA loans in those 2 years .... keep contributing about 10-15k per year and taking the FAFSA loan and you can expect your daughter to only walk out with about $200k in loans. BTW, what does your daughter want to major in? Factor in the starting and mid-career salary as well as how difficult it is to break into that career and if additional schooling is required. Unfortunately for the middle class, higher education is becoming unaffordable, and, quite honestly, the break even period is getting far too long. State cups and firemen in our town all live in the same neighborhood as my family does (and its a nice neighborhood) .... so do the electricians, carpenters, and HVAC guys. Not sure it is worth it to put your life on hold and live at home for 10 years after college to pay down MOST of your college debt. I wish the middle class would send a message to colleges and university nationwide and boycott a few of them until they went bankrupt or became more affordable. As it is now, 4-10% increases for the past 2 decades and no stopping in sight will continue to make this problem worse. I hope my younger two kids do trades or go into the military for a few years and then go to school on Uncle Sam, much more mature and wiser.

Comment

Expensive private schools with lesser brands than Amherst, etc are feeling the crunch of fewer willing and/or able to pay 50-70k plus per year to attend college.

Comment

Expensive private schools with lesser brands than Amherst, etc are feeling the crunch of fewer willing and/or able to pay 50-70k plus per year to attend college.
          But those are the ones that are giving steep discounts to the right students. If paying for school is a big issue ( who isn't?) then you need to market yourself. Like with academics you should also have financial stretches and safeties

Comment

What are the best schools for good but not unicorn players that offer generous athletic and or merit aid for the donut hole female player?

Comment

What are the best schools for good but not unicorn players that offer generous athletic and or merit aid for the donut hole female player?
              There's a lot of websites that cover merit money - but like athletics, part of it is where you target. If you're desired by the school and the coach (that means you're well their above average applicant or player) your odds of getting substantive money increases. That may mean you may have to step down a notch of the athletics or academics or both.

Comment

Just threaten a lawsuit and you can keep your spot.
                shameful and disgraceful. admin at Trinity is just as bad

Comment

Good example......not!

Fairfield costs 66K a year. You want to compare a degree from Williams in econ to a FU business degree. You are probably hiring temps for a Fortune 100 company

So you take Colby and Trinity vs say Williams and Amherst for your comparison?

Why are you pushing kids to grad school? Biggest waste for 75% of grad school graduates. My favorite is when I see an accounting major go get a masters in accounting from Bridgeport. He could have went to a Big 4 for two years, made some nice cash and learned more about accounting then he did at Bridgeport while having to pay for it
                  "could have went"....I think that says it all.

Listen, there are plenty of very good D3 schools with grad school placement stats and earnings similar to NESCACs that DO offer merit $. Our D was admitted to a couple of NESCACs, Wellesley, Lafayette and Lehigh with NO aid offers (we don't qualify for need). When comparing these to some others that offered $25-$28k in merit/yr, it was really no contest.

If you get past the name, really dig into the stats and apply them to your own situation, you'll find there is little difference among the top schools.

Comment

"could have went"....I think that says it all.

Listen, there are plenty of very good D3 schools with grad school placement stats and earnings similar to NESCACs that DO offer merit $. Our D was admitted to a couple of NESCACs, Wellesley, Lafayette and Lehigh with NO aid offers (we don't qualify for need). When comparing these to some others that offered $25-$28k in merit/yr, it was really no contest.

If you get past the name, really dig into the stats and apply them to your own situation, you'll find there is little difference among the top schools.
                    Several also have even higher awards that their top applicants compete for: they're invited for a weekend of competition, inteviews, spend more time in campus. I know 2 kids who won such grants of $40K and $45K a year, all 4 years. It also puts them into more prestigious honors programs and special "presidential " programs like one with a trip to D.C. to meet with members of Congress, or another that went to China for 2 weeks and the family only had to pay for airfare. Putting that on your resume vs graduating from "maybe " slightly more prestigious school but a ton of debt? Come on. There's no contest.

Comment

Several also have even higher awards that their top applicants compete for: they're invited for a weekend of competition, inteviews, spend more time in campus. I know 2 kids who won such grants of $40K and $45K a year, all 4 years. It also puts them into more prestigious honors programs and special "presidential " programs like one with a trip to D.C. to meet with members of Congress, or another that went to China for 2 weeks and the family only had to pay for airfare. Putting that on your resume vs graduating from "maybe " slightly more prestigious school but a ton of debt? Come on. There's no contest.
                      Patriot league schools have both d1 and strong academics. Those weren’t the type of schools mentioned before. If your kid got 50 percent scholarship and played at one of those schools, congrats. There is a huge diff between them and the types of schools mentioned previously, both academically and athletically.

Comment

Exactly what I took from his post!

Beautiful schools in great settings with strong academics. No one debates that.

Some of the people that attend make sacrifices like giving up their second golf membership. These are not middle class schools

Hard to justify a return on taking out mounds of debt to attend.
                        Sadly, this seems to be accurate. IF you look at the rosters for these schools they are packed with players form expensive privates high schools ( although a few may have been scholarship players) It seems the income levels on these rosters are very high.

Comment

Schools

You all really think Williams or Trinity are head and shoulders above a school like Fairfield U. Nationally those tiny liberal arts schools do not have a ton of pull. Yes they probably have lots of rich local alumni because that is their demographic. But outside of the northeast many people don’t know a heck of a lot about those schools. And certainly don’t respect them any more than fairfield u. And that isn’t even a knock on those schools. They are solid private schools. But not ivy level in quality or reputation.

Comment

You all really think Williams or Trinity are head and shoulders above a school like Fairfield U. Nationally those tiny liberal arts schools do not have a ton of pull. Yes they probably have lots of rich local alumni because that is their demographic. But outside of the northeast many people don’t know a heck of a lot about those schools. And certainly don’t respect them any more than fairfield u. And that isn’t even a knock on those schools. They are solid private schools. But not ivy level in quality or reputation.
                            You are saying nationally that FU had tons of pull? Hahaha ..... FU is the knockoff with a high price tag trying to mimic the brand names. Trinity is a better school, but Williams is a way better school with far more recognition all over the US. And most of the last 5 years or more they would beat FU in soccer 9 times out of 10. Glad your kid got into Fairfield but it is not much more than a mediocre regional school with a high sticker price because if it's location.

Comment

You are saying nationally that FU had tons of pull? Hahaha ..... FU is the knockoff with a high price tag trying to mimic the brand names. Trinity is a better school, but Williams is a way better school with far more recognition all over the US. And most of the last 5 years or more they would beat FU in soccer 9 times out of 10. Glad your kid got into Fairfield but it is not much more than a mediocre regional school with a high sticker price because if it's location.
                              Funny, when you take a look at the WSJ rankings, the FU alums make more than the Williams alums. Go figure. Also, more FU students find their school inspiring and worth the cost.

Comment

Funny, when you take a look at the WSJ rankings, the FU alums make more than the Williams alums. Go figure. Also, more FU students find their school inspiring and worth the cost.
                                I went to FU, it’s solid. Alumni network in metro NY also very strong.

The salary thing is BS. Lots of Williams go onto grad school while FU has business and nursing which puts kids into decent paying jobs right away. That inflates the salary figures.

Williams kid likely have better earning power 10 years out

Just being honest

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X