Lawsuit targets FIFA concussion rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World cup incident had nothing to do with heading the soccer ball so missing the point. Most kids don't head the ball at the young ages anyway. Absurd lawsuit for the smallest fractions of kids. More kids are hurt simply walking down the street than heading a soccer ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      The World cup incident had nothing to do with heading the soccer ball so missing the point. Most kids don't head the ball at the young ages anyway. Absurd lawsuit for the smallest fractions of kids. More kids are hurt simply walking down the street than heading a soccer ball.
      You did miss the point. Freaking basic reading comprehension. The world cup issue was in regard to substitutions and treatment/evaluation/assessment of players that may have sustained a concussion. The header issue is a different point and discussion. Do all the glue sniffers come out on Friday?

Comment

As I understand one aspect of this law suit is to allow temporary subsitutions in the pro game so head injuries can be assessed .
        With sadness in my heart I have to say that within days of this law ever being passed soccer coaches will be having players fake head injuries so they can temporarily bring on fresh legs .

Comment

BTW, my oldest son has not practiced hard headers in training for the last four years. My youngest has never practiced hard headers. All at my direction, not the coaches. They nail them once in a while at matches and that is fine.

Just a fun side note to add irony to the discussion while you are baking up your reply. I played soccer as a kid. I recall parents smoking away on the sidelines during matches and my dad driving me home, with a beer in his hand, with no seat belts in the truck.

Comment

Back to debate team bro!!

This is not about bubbles, drones, overseers, elite, the big machine, or NEO. It is not just about concussions, it is about cumulative damage to youth brains and how we can minimize that, with minor changes to the game. It is not about your kitchen or baking cookies. Yes people get hurt all the time. As a dynamic thoughtful society absorb new information. We make thoughtful changes after considering the facts, balancing out the risks versus the rewards.

If mankind had relied on your logic the past 10,000 years, you would not be in a kitchen baking today and your genes would probably not still be in the gene pool.

If you pick up a book on the history of soccer and take time to read a chapter or two, you will immediately notice that the sport has evolved over time. It has undergone some pretty radical changes as a matter of fact. Some of those changes were for sport. Many of them were for safety issues. Asking the youth soccer players to avoid headers in practice would seem rather inconsequential to the game if you were able to make it through the changes that have been made to the game over the past 200 years.

Enjoy the baking, try to enjoy the soccer, and please try to remember that this issue is not a proxy for all the things you hate about the world.
            question? for you. if you are so concerned about concussions have you run a baseline on your player. Does your club require each player have a baseline. Answer no then the issue is the hot dot of the day for you.

here is a great white paper on concussions in youth soccer. http://www.sportslegacy.org/wp-conte...per-072914.pdf

"At least 30% of concussions in soccer are caused by heading the ball or by
            attempting to head the ball and colliding with a player, object, or the ground.
            2 11% of children who suffer a concussion still have symptoms three months later"

The paper is stating that only 3% of the total youth soccer population are effected by concussions associated with heading or attempting to head the ball in player younger then 15.

3% of the population. A very small % of the total population. I guess this is another example of a small minority trying to have things changed for there own agenda.

Comment

question? for you. if you are so concerned about concussions have you run a baseline on your player. Does your club require each player have a baseline. Answer no then the issue is the hot dot of the day for you.

here is a great white paper on concussions in youth soccer. http://www.sportslegacy.org/wp-conte...per-072914.pdf

2 11% of children who suffer a concussion still have symptoms three months later"

The paper is stating that only 3% of the total youth soccer population are effected by concussions associated with heading or attempting to head the ball in player younger then 15.

3% of the population. A very small % of the total population. I guess this is another example of a small minority trying to have things changed for there own agenda.
              That paper makes some valid points consistent with current medical knowledge. Thanks for sharing that helping me make my point. I suggest everyone print that out, read it, and absorb what they are saying, especially you. Pay attention to the parts about damage not associated with an identified concussions, but still associated with headers. The trouble diagnosing a reported concussion and the age related comments.

Comment

That paper makes some valid points consistent with current medical knowledge. Thanks for sharing that helping me make my point. I suggest everyone print that out, read it, and absorb what they are saying, especially you. Pay attention to the parts about damage not associated with an identified concussions, but still associated with headers. The trouble diagnosing a reported concussion and the age related comments.
                i did not say you did not have a point. Have you had a baseline done on you player? This is an issue as parents we need to be involved. You are your best protection not the courts. The court are just another money grab.

The other question you are so concerned with head injury I hope you wear a helmet and a hans device each time you get in a car. Traumatic brain injury, even at slow speeds, is the # 1 injury in car accident and highly preventable with the right equipment.

Remember a frog will jump out if put in a pot of boiling water but will just swim around and die if the water starts cool and slowly brought to a boil

Comment

Executive summary.

Concussion = bad trauma
                  Low to mid level trauma does not equal concussion.

Think of the level of trauma as a spectrum with concussions being at the severe end. You don't need to have a concussion to experience mild to medium level head trauma. You are killing brain cells, just not as many. Many concussions go undiagnosed.

Think of concussions and their treatment on the field as one issue and headers from a cumulative standpoint as another issue.

Comment

As to your question about the % of concussion injuries, a recent study published in Jan. 2014 studying the girls competitive youth soccer program in Pugent Sound, Washington, from March, 2008 to May, 2012 found it to be 13% per season.

Here is a link to an interview from one of the authors of the report:

http://www.herconcussion.com/2014/04...cussion-study/

54.3% of the concussions reported were caused by physical contact and only 29.8% were caused by contact with the ball. The risk is not just heading the ball but rather head-to-head or elbow-to-head. And if your child has had one concussion, the risk is much greater that he or she will have another concussion.

The lawsuit is an effort to reduce risks just like what the Florida legislature did in 2012 when it revised Section 943.0438 in an effort to reduce the risks for concussions. And yes, my child has had concussion baseline testing which only determines if you are concussed and can return to play - it does not do anything to prevent concussions.

Comment

As to your question about the % of concussion injuries, a recent study published in Jan. 2014 studying the girls competitive youth soccer program in Pugent Sound, Washington, from March, 2008 to May, 2012 found it to be 13% per season.

Here is a link to an interview from one of the authors of the report:

http://www.herconcussion.com/2014/04...cussion-study/

54.3% of the concussions reported were caused by physical contact and only 29.8% were caused by contact with the ball. The risk is not just heading the ball but rather head-to-head or elbow-to-head. And if your child has had one concussion, the risk is much greater that he or she will have another concussion.

The lawsuit is an effort to reduce risks just like what the Florida legislature did in 2012 when it revised Section 943.0438 in an effort to reduce the risks for concussions. And yes, my child has had concussion baseline testing which only determines if you are concussed and can return to play - it does not do anything to prevent concussions.
                      the baseline testing is done on healthy people to assess their normal status. hopefully you will never need the next test but they are done so you have a BASELINE from which to start when working to diagnose and treat concussion. been through it all twice; diff kids and 5 years apart. which translates to getting no real treatment for the first, then having difficulty getting the second released to play again. medicine has made great strides in the last 10 years, and esp in the last 5. Lawsuits like these are for attorneys who are out for the buck, and people who are lazy, and greedy and want to blame their failings on others.

Comment

That is a very persuasive argument.

I am convinced that limiting headers and assessing conclusions on the field are so in entwined that you cannot have one without another. I am also sure that no none is getting injured unless they somehow stumble into the E/R and a medical professional says that they suffered a concussion. I believe that even a slight change like limiting the numbers of headers with rest in catastrophic changes to the game with boys wearing skirts and soccer balls morphing into foam bubbles, black helicopters zooming around with crazy liberials taking over and forcing me get rid of my guns. I believe that making slight in the play is on par with wearing helmets inside my automobile and absolutly crazy. I think that any argument an attorney supports must be crazy and contrary to the public good.

Comment

That is a very persuasive argument.

I am convinced that limiting headers and assessing conclusions on the field are so in entwined that you cannot have one without another. I am also sure that no none is getting injured unless they somehow stumble into the E/R and a medical professional says that they suffered a concussion. I believe that even a slight change like limiting the numbers of headers with rest in catastrophic changes to the game with boys wearing skirts and soccer balls morphing into foam bubbles, black helicopters zooming around with crazy liberials taking over and forcing me get rid of my guns. I believe that making slight in the play is on par with wearing helmets inside my automobile and absolutly crazy. I think that any argument an attorney supports must be crazy and contrary to the public good.
                          lawyers will do anything if they think there is something in it for them (money, notoriety, booze, drugs, cheap thrills, etc.)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X