Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Things are not how I thought, and that's not good.
    how so?

brand new program, so expect a few kinks

Comment

I have worked camps with them - they look for those capable of moving up - i know of 2 who were invited
      My player (younger age group) was selected for the Escola at the tryout in May. We accepted and he starts next week.

In the meantime, my player and some friends did the FCB camp held at the same facility in Lauderhill in July. Shortly after the camp ended, my player was invited to join based on camp performance. I only watched parts of one day of the camp but it was as well-organized and well-run as the try out. Very professionally done (despite lots of bad weather challenges).

I contacted the Escola after the second invite and explained that my player was already selected at the try out and had accepted. They cross checked their systems and everyhting lined up. The person I spoke with noted that the camp and try-out systems are seperated (I took her to mean that they were intentionally seperated, not that it was system weakness). I thought it was encouraging that (1) the evaluations were consistent (at least for my player) and (2) they did not mine their systems to see if try-out kids were in the camp, too. Of the group of friends that attended camp with my player, none were invited to the Escola based on their camp performance. And there are some strong little players in that bunch.

Comment

Of the group of friends that attended camp with my player, none were invited to the Escola based on their camp performance. And there are some strong little players in that bunch.
        I think this is the biggest concern...glad to see they are being selective in the academy program

Comment

My player (younger age group) was selected for the Escola at the tryout in May. We accepted and he starts next week.

In the meantime, my player and some friends did the FCB camp held at the same facility in Lauderhill in July. Shortly after the camp ended, my player was invited to join based on camp performance. I only watched parts of one day of the camp but it was as well-organized and well-run as the try out. Very professionally done (despite lots of bad weather challenges).

I contacted the Escola after the second invite and explained that my player was already selected at the try out and had accepted. They cross checked their systems and everyhting lined up. The person I spoke with noted that the camp and try-out systems are seperated (I took her to mean that they were intentionally seperated, not that it was system weakness). I thought it was encouraging that (1) the evaluations were consistent (at least for my player) and (2) they did not mine their systems to see if try-out kids were in the camp, too. Of the group of friends that attended camp with my player, none were invited to the Escola based on their camp performance. And there are some strong little players in that bunch.
          We get it! they are accepting and inviting only the best of the best! Can't wait to play them at a year end tournament somewhere. And by the way, they can see you coming for sure. They are now so elite they have separate and secret databases. Yeah right, it was lack of organization like you assumed. Ask for a copy of your eval, I didn't think so.

Comment

We get it! they are accepting and inviting only the best of the best! Can't wait to play them at a year end tournament somewhere. And by the way, they can see you coming for sure. They are now so elite they have separate and secret databases. Yeah right, it was lack of organization like you assumed. Ask for a copy of your eval, I didn't think so.
            ...and they don't have schools all over the world (and in Brazil either) right - I have been involved with them at two locations and have seen the director had out the evaluation - filled out by the individual coaches.

Comment

Someone sure seems to have a chip on his/her shoulder. Not "separate and secret databases", just different. I assumed they would automatically identify my kid as an "escola" kid when he was at camp and offer him at the camp based on that alone. But they had no idea he was accepted already. Quickly checked their systems when I called and saw that he was, and thanked me for contacting them and not assuming that they knew. Whether this is due to disorganization or intentional separation of functions (as they suggested) wasn't my point. My point was that the evaluation (at least for one kid) was consistent from try out to camp and appears to have been "blind" (as it should be). And as to your other (incorrect) assumption they did share the evaluation with me. Good luck with your year-end tournaments--they sure seem very important to you.

Comment

Someone sure seems to have a chip on his/her shoulder. Not "separate and secret databases", just different. I assumed they would automatically identify my kid as an "escola" kid when he was at camp and offer him at the camp based on that alone. But they had no idea he was accepted already. Quickly checked their systems when I called and saw that he was, and thanked me for contacting them and not assuming that they knew. Whether this is due to disorganization or intentional separation of functions (as they suggested) wasn't my point. My point was that the evaluation (at least for one kid) was consistent from try out to camp and appears to have been "blind" (as it should be). And as to your other (incorrect) assumption they did share the evaluation with me. Good luck with your year-end tournaments--they sure seem very important to you.
                They are as important to me as the practice evals are to you, great to see that my son was accepted twice to the escoala, that probably means he's twice as good add the others. The nerve off some people.

Comment

They are as important to me as the practice evals are to you, great to see that my son was accepted twice to the escoala, that probably means he's twice as good add the others. The nerve off some people.
                  I think you need to re read my post (and, perhaps, also explore the root cause of your anonymous message board aggression--for your own sake and the sake of your child). I said none of the things you have read into my post. (And your logic does not even work, my friend. The only reasonable inference from my anecdote was that it appears that any given kid selected at either the camp or tryout would likely have also been selected at the other. Not that my kids was twice as good because he was selected at both.). Moreover, my post responded to someone inquiring about how the invites were made at FCB camps (as compared to the tryout) and in the context of a larger discussion about how selective the Escola actually was. My purpose was to share information, not brag on my kid (who I took pains not to identify in any way). Indeed, anonymously bragging on my anonymous kid would be just as pointless as your anonymous message board flaming is. I share concerns about the selectivity issue and thought my info. might be of help to someone weighing this decision out. In this first year of the program, all of the Escola parents and kids are taking a step out into the great unknown. (By the way: If you are not here for information about the Escola and are not interested in the program, why are you reading this thread?)

Again, I wish you the best of luck at your tournaments. It is the part of club soccer that I will miss most of all. Parents like you, on the other hand, are the thing that I will miss least of all.

Comment

The escola may look for the best players but
                    They selected a kid from my son team that played on the bench
                    All year long and scored probably 5 goals the entire year. The best players for FC Barcelona from Florida are not the real deal. Most the real talented kids stayed at their club the bench earners went to Barcelona

Comment

The escola may look for the best players but
                      They selected a kid from my son team that played on the bench
                      All year long and scored probably 5 goals the entire year. The best players for FC Barcelona from Florida are not the real deal. Most the real talented kids stayed at their club the bench earners went to Barcelona
                      LOL--because in one alleged instance where a "bench player" from a single team was selected, then all kids selected were bench players. Hmm, by that logical fallacy, because one TS poster engages in logical fallacies (and doesn't seem to realize it), then all TS posters must engage in logical fallacies. Wait, all TS posters do, but your post still is a laughable point that most elementary school kids could easily refute.

Comment

The best part of this thread is its al hypothetical. The escola will never play in a tournament so they will have no idea if development is happening. What is the benchmark or comparison? Other escola kids?

Comment

The best part of this thread is its al hypothetical. The escola will never play in a tournament so they will have no idea if development is happening. What is the benchmark or comparison? Other escola kids?
                          With a due respect, if you are using tournaments as a measuring stick for youth development in soccer (especially at u-13 and under, which is where the escola stops) you honestly have no idea what you are talking about. And there is nothing that can be said to make you see your mistake. Tournaments are the least relevant thing your kid does all year in terms of development measurement. Ask any coach that is not interested in building his/her own resume (and thus pay check) and they will tell you straight up.

Comment

With a due respect, if you are using tournaments as a measuring stick for youth development in soccer (especially at u-13 and under, which is where the escola stops) you honestly have no idea what you are talking about. And there is nothing that can be said to make you see your mistake. Tournaments are the least relevant thing your kid does all year in terms of development measurement. Ask any coach that is not interested in building his/her own resume (and thus pay check) and they will tell you straight up.
                            I agree that WINNING tournaments is all about the egos of coaches, DOCS and club directors, but competing at a high level is very important for development. There is an intensity level to a good, competitive game that cannot be reproduced in practice. No amount of "technification" or dribbling around cones will prepare you for performing the same skill move when you are being marked hard by a top kid. So while I think that winning or losing the games is something I personally do not care about, being in the games (especially hard competitive games) really helps with development. You need to know how your kid responds to the amplified intensity created in a game situation.

Comment

I think tournaments only evaluate the srength of the team, as it is possible to have a strong group of kids that win all the pre and post season tournaments based on size, spead and strength. Though the will win a lot, it does not mean that they are developing of the technical skill very well.

What is the best way to evaluate player development???? The escola will have three written evaluations, but is that enough?

Comment

I agree that WINNING tournaments is all about the egos of coaches, DOCS and club directors, but competing at a high level is very important for development. There is an intensity level to a good, competitive game that cannot be reproduced in practice. No amount of "technification" or dribbling around cones will prepare you for performing the same skill move when you are being marked hard by a top kid. So while I think that winning or losing the games is something I personally do not care about, being in the games (especially hard competitive games) really helps with development. You need to know how your kid responds to the amplified intensity created in a game situation.
                                I agree, and a few of us parents are going to stay with our club and do both. We always pay for private trainning on the off days, so cost average wise, it is about the same as each Barca practice. We are taking a chance, but going from how organized the tryouts and camps were, I think we will be happy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X