Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    He is a college coach. There is no other measure. National championships are the gold standard. Are you saying that it would have been better if he should have been a losing coach under the guise of development (like FSA)?
    He is a successful coach. Im not a fan of how he plays, the environment he creates or recruiting 11 yr olds among other things. You are free to view him however you choose, but no need to put words in my mouth.

He was the only game in town. Now its a bit harder, his "methods" are less effective

Comment

He is a successful coach. Im not a fan of how he plays, the environment he creates or recruiting 11 yr olds among other things. You are free to view him however you choose, but no need to put words in my mouth.

He was the only game in town. Now its a bit harder, his "methods" are less effective
      I guess John Wooden, Joe McCarthy, Casey Stengel and Red Auerbach are garbage too then? There were plenty of other programs around in each of these guys' days that didnt get it done. What is your excuse for Geno?

Comment

I guess John Wooden, Joe McCarthy, Casey Stengel and Red Auerbach are garbage too then? There were plenty of other programs around in each of these guys' days that didnt get it done. What is your excuse for Geno?
        Stop fishing.

Comment

Right. 21 out of 31 D1 national championships isn't enough and he still has more in the last 10 years (3) than any other college program. You definitely know better than him. He forgot more about soccer this morning over coffee than any of us will ever know. I know, if your resume can't trump his, then tear him down and cast aspersions.

Comment

He is a college coach. There is no other measure. National championships are the gold standard. Are you saying that it would have been better if he should have been a losing coach under the guise of development (like FSA)?
            Why did you reply to my comment? I think he's a great coach
            The best in women's college.

Comment

Why did you reply to my comment? I think he's a great coach
              The best in women's college.
              i replied to the wrong post .... meant to respond to the one above yours.

Comment

Its one measure I guess. Bobby Knight, Paterno and a few others had those as well.
                They were all great coaches

Comment

AD is not even close to who he used to be in the women's college world. His methods are outdated, he hasn't continued his soccer education, and his lack of relevancy has been on display the past few years. He's trending downward rather quickly. He definitely used to be the best, not even close any more. Outside of the top 10 in women's soccer coaches nowadays. The guy still subs in 4 players at a time! That's an absolute embarrassment.

Comment

AD is not even close to who he used to be in the women's college world. His methods are outdated, he hasn't continued his soccer education, and his lack of relevancy has been on display the past few years. He's trending downward rather quickly. He definitely used to be the best, not even close any more. Outside of the top 10 in women's soccer coaches nowadays. The guy still subs in 4 players at a time! That's an absolute embarrassment.
                    This guy is clueless. ♤♤

Comment

UMASS Coach to be named today

UCONN you are up next

Comment

This guy is clueless. ♤♤
                        He really isnt. he is spot on. ADs groundbreaking coaching was built on 2 things, driving girls to compete in every practice against each other and using the rules to his advantage by recruiting athletes and rolling in subs en masse throughout the game. When you can corral a significant number of athletes and keep them fresh enough to press weaker teams all game, you create easy scoring opportunities.

As the technical level has gone up over time, his methods have become less effective. teams can hold the ball a bit better. Other teams can also repel his direct style a bit better than in the past. Many of the players coming out of UNC now are not well prepared for pro or international soccer becasue they are not used to controlling the pace of a game. They are not used to playing 90 mins. They know how to go hell for leather and then get a breather.

he has been a very successful coach over his career, but there is no doubt his methods are out dated. He still gets wins becasue he still gets players based on the incredible legacy he built - he deserves respect for that.

The lawsuit and recruiting 11 yr olds is stuff he does not deserve respect for. As a leader, he should be rising above this stuff and setting an example. I can fully understand why some people would no longer be fan of his.

There are several better Womens college soccer coaches out there now. Phil Jackson is a decent comparison.

Comment

it is an embarrassment, given the roster of player he has. They would be a better team if he stopped doing this and used his better players to actually play a better brand of soccer.

Comment

it is an embarrassment, given the roster of player he has. They would be a better team if he stopped doing this and used his better players to actually play a better brand of soccer.
                            In all of sports in college, and this is what sets it apart from coaching anwhere else (except STJ), the most important part of being a HOF coach, is being a great recruiter. The top college coaches are the best recruiters. Don't mock that ..... it is not easy to attract and sign the top talent year after year after year. It is the hardest demand of the job and the place that 99.9% of college coaches only do a fair or mediocre job at. The ones that do this best, get the best results (Pitino, Auriemma, Calhoun, Calipari ... to some degree Phil jackson).

Comment

In all of sports in college, and this is what sets it apart from coaching anwhere else (except STJ), the most important part of being a HOF coach, is being a great recruiter. The top college coaches are the best recruiters. Don't mock that ..... it is not easy to attract and sign the top talent year after year after year. It is the hardest demand of the job and the place that 99.9% of college coaches only do a fair or mediocre job at. The ones that do this best, get the best results (Pitino, Auriemma, Calhoun, Calipari ... to some degree Phil jackson).
                              Who mocked it? I would not revere Pitino or Calipari though in spite of their success. Trail of destruction left in there wake. However they won and got their guys paid.

Comment

It would make sense that we get a coach soon so the recruiting efforts can start. The longer the delay the worse off we will be. I have probably seen 100 games in the last 30 years, including being a student there. Seems to me that the 'national' recruits have dried up and UCONN is mostly depending on local kids (NJ - CT - MA - NY). I remember the days of kids from St Louis, Minnesota, Michigan, No. Carolina. We have to improve our pool of kids and we need a coach that has far reaching tentacles

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X