Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complaints about Travel on the Higher Leagues

I'm seeing some grumbling about travel on the higher leagues - "...can't we just play some quality competition nearby?" That travel is built in "by design."

When ECNL was originally started it has several goals. One of them was to replicate (as much as possible) what a college soccer experience would look like (including the travel that goes with it).

There were at least 2 reasons for that: 1) to prepare the girls for what they would encounter in the college schedule (playing on the road) and 2) to help college coaches scouting the ECNL events to see what girls could handle travelling as a team and playing well on the road.

We've gotten feedback from college coaches that go to Showcase events that they take into account that some teams/players travel better than others and play better and have more success and they pay attention to that. That is one part of their evaluation of players who might be able to transition to the college game.

I think it makes sense......

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm seeing some grumbling about travel on the higher leagues - "...can't we just play some quality competition nearby?" That travel is built in "by design."

When ECNL was originally started it has several goals. One of them was to replicate (as much as possible) what a college soccer experience would look like (including the travel that goes with it).

There were at least 2 reasons for that: 1) to prepare the girls for what they would encounter in the college schedule (playing on the road) and 2) to help college coaches scouting the ECNL events to see what girls could handle travelling as a team and playing well on the road.

We've gotten feedback from college coaches that go to Showcase events that they take into account that some teams/players travel better than others and play better and have more success and they pay attention to that. That is one part of their evaluation of players who might be able to transition to the college game.

You’re ‘seeing some grumbling’ because you’re reading your own posts. It’s very easy to determine when it’s a repeat poster trying to push an agenda. Not sure what the agenda is with you yet, but I have an idea. None of the travel is a surprise to anyone, and you don’t get into ECNL or DA without a previous knowledge of the league, so the surprise factor is thrown out.

Comment

You’re ‘seeing some grumbling’ because you’re reading your own posts. It’s very easy to determine when it’s a repeat poster trying to push an agenda. Not sure what the agenda is with you yet, but I have an idea. None of the travel is a surprise to anyone, and you don’t get into ECNL or DA without a previous knowledge of the league, so the surprise factor is thrown out.
      Huh????

Comment

Of course there's no surprise. It doesn't mean the travel doesn't still suck. Even worse is when you pay to travel long distances for garbage games. Both GDA and ECNL have that issue. Then with GDA your kid may travel and not even play.

Comment

Huh????
          You are being accused of setting up threads/post to come back reply to your original post as another party to agree with yourself. You are basically being called out as Troll with agenda.

Comment

I agree, some players can't handle the travel and play crappy on the road.

Comment

At U13 to u15...not really. Honestly it’s the league play that is crazy...I get the showcases, but to travel 3 times in the fall that requires a plane ride for league play...that doesn’t make sense.

Comment

At U13 to u15...not really. Honestly it’s the league play that is crazy...I get the showcases, but to travel 3 times in the fall that requires a plane ride for league play...that doesn’t make sense.
                Doesn't your club rent buses for those trips to Atlanta? Ours does.... It makes a ton of sense cost-wise.

Then parents can decide if they want to travel to those games.

Comment

Doesn't your club rent buses for those trips to Atlanta? Ours does.... It makes a ton of sense cost-wise.

Then parents can decide if they want to travel to those games.
                  Many clubs in the US do not do that, so travel is totally on the parent dime at a higher cost. Some families might share duties with another family or two (one family one trip, another the next time). But that can't be relied on regularly for many.

I also agree with above that extensive travel for U13-u15 is asinine. Now with what will hopefully later recruiting (new rules with more to come) those younger teams should do only one event per year that requires a plane ride, maximum.

Comment

You do know ECNL is not about girls anymore. Boys are expanding at a fast pace. Besides that you are correct.

Comment

You do know ECNL is not about girls anymore. Boys are expanding at a fast pace. Besides that you are correct.
                      Poster said "When ECNL was originally started it has several goals." When ECNL was originally started it was girls only.

Comment

Poster said "When ECNL was originally started it has several goals." When ECNL was originally started it was girls only.
                        And ECNl was started as a response to USSF ignoring girls and never starting GDA shortly after BDA began. ECNL saw an opportunity and took it.

Comment

what if girls only smoke plastic heart clubstrip strapling?!

what if SHAKEN old quakers quack STIRump BONDage?!

Comment

Many clubs in the US do not do that, so travel is totally on the parent dime at a higher cost. Some families might share duties with another family or two (one family one trip, another the next time). But that can't be relied on regularly for many.

I also agree with above that extensive travel for U13-u15 is asinine. Now with what will hopefully later recruiting (new rules with more to come) those younger teams should do only one event per year that requires a plane ride, maximum.
                            Well, even when the club rents the buses it's on the "parent dime." It is just more cost effective for the team, managers, coaches, etc. to all ride on the bus - it keeps costs down. I thought all clubs had that figured out?

Comment

Well, even when the club rents the buses it's on the "parent dime." It is just more cost effective for the team, managers, coaches, etc. to all ride on the bus - it keeps costs down. I thought all clubs had that figured out?
                              Chiming in from another state with no chat board. No ECNL clubs in our area organize any of that. BDA clubs do but unless you're MLS you're still paying. BDA clubs also discourage parent travel (but that doesn't stop some parents from driving to games on their own). My D didn't want to do GDA but has some friends who are doing it. Talking with parents the only GDA club in our area has been inconsistent with organizing travel. Two of her friends are returning to ECNL because they miss their old team and HS and didn't think the trade offs were worth it. Two others are staying.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X