Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I want to know why/how kids make ODP without showing up to try-outs??
    Regional players don’t have to attend tryouts, they are automatically included in State Pools if they will be participating in regional events throughout the year. Everyone else has to try out.

Comment

I'm absolutely floored people spend so much money to pay a club to develop their child and to put them in a position where (as I've heard) colleges drool over them....and then have to turn around and pay someone else to do the same.

What's the benefits of these leagues if they cost so much and you still have to pay more to someone else?

It's like you bought a Ferrari to haul lumber, then went out and bought a pick-up because the lumber didn't fit in...
      Other people can weigh in here, but as I see it, clubs in this region of the country do a really poor job with individual development of players (even though many clubs tout this as a goal). In reality, they are overly focused on team play, with individual development taking the hit.

The players who, as you put it, colleges are drooling over are not relying on clubs alone for their development, but are training and playing with multiple groups and coaches outside of their clubs along the way to help them grow as players. This is simply a necessity with the current club system we have, if you want to be a top player. And, yes, unfortunately most of these supplemental training programs cost money, but obviously the families of the players involved feel the cost is worth it. ODP is just one of many programs out there that doesn't toss individual development aside. I don't have any personal experience with it, but can say that the programs we have been involved with that don't have the team component as front and center have been invaluable to our player's development.

Comment

Other people can weigh in here, but as I see it, clubs in this region of the country do a really poor job with individual development of players (even though many clubs tout this as a goal). In reality, they are overly focused on team play, with individual development taking the hit.

The players who, as you put it, colleges are drooling over are not relying on clubs alone for their development, but are training and playing with multiple groups and coaches outside of their clubs along the way to help them grow as players. This is simply a necessity with the current club system we have, if you want to be a top player. And, yes, unfortunately most of these supplemental training programs cost money, but obviously the families of the players involved feel the cost is worth it. ODP is just one of many programs out there that doesn't toss individual development aside. I don't have any personal experience with it, but can say that the programs we have been involved with that don't have the team component as front and center have been invaluable to our player's development.

If true, why would anyone consider dropping so much dime on ECNL if they need to go find another avenue? I'm not dissing ODP, I'm just wondering if you drank the ECNL's drink why some find the need to keep spending.

Sounds like you'd be better off going with a lower priced club/league and doing ODP then. No badge, I know, and maybe a few less FB likes mommy has to contend with.

Comment

I think people are over thinking this.

If your player can get a spot on a GAL / ECNL team then that is great. They are playing with and against some of the best players in the region and training 3+ days a week. ODP probably is not needed but to each their own.

If you are not in the above category and your player can get selected in to ODP and you can manage getting to the practices, then ODP might worth as another avenue to expand your player's development. it's not magic but is additional trainings with and against talented players and the opportunity to be selected into even more opportunities via the regional pool etc. The level of the state ODP is reasonably comparable to the ECNL/GAL rosters (esp since half the NEFC team will probably be there).

Some will debate if the ODP badge means anything anymore. I think the soccer / college landscape is in such flux right now that nobody knows what is going to happen.

What I do believe is that if you provide an environment that lets your player develop to their potential then you've done what you can do. And hopefully your player actually enjoys the ride. (literally and figuratively)

Comment

Sounds like you'd be better off going with a lower priced club/league and doing ODP then. No badge, I know, and maybe a few less FB likes mommy has to contend with.
            Maybe? I'd be leery of going with a club just for price purposes. If you have an ODP level player and are on a low tier club on a team without much talent then they are going to be bored and developing bad habits in the club environment. ODP won't fix that. It is only once every other week in the winter and once a week in the spring.

Comment

If true, why would anyone consider dropping so much dime on ECNL if they need to go find another avenue? I'm not dissing ODP, I'm just wondering if you drank the ECNL's drink why some find the need to keep spending.

It's simple: ECNL is a league with the sole goal of showcasing primarily girls to as many college coaches as possible. It really is that simple. Showcasing isn't development. From what I can tell, many/most ECNL clubs are focused on winning games and qualifying for nationals, at least at the high school ages. Development seems to take a back seat to that and I get it, nationals is a huge college coach draw.

So, want to be seen, play ECNL. Want to develop? Maybe some ECNL clubs do a good job. I agree with the other poster that you really have to take the "team" focus and winning out of the equation and ODP does exactly that. The focus in every session is on individual development. The focus at Region 1 camp is who are the best individual players, etc.

I'm not dissing ECNL, it's a great tool and honestly my D loves it. Having said that, what I've seen in terms of the best player development has been with ODP, Revs RDS when girls were allowed to play with boys and it wasn't split, Futsal, and private/individual instruction. Much of the "development" that my D has seen at the club level has been team focused. If it wasn't for these other avenues and playing opportunities, she wouldn't be the player she is today. That was reality for my player. YMMV.

Comment

It's simple: ECNL is a league with the sole goal of showcasing primarily girls to as many college coaches as possible. It really is that simple. Showcasing isn't development. From what I can tell, many/most ECNL clubs are focused on winning games and qualifying for nationals, at least at the high school ages. Development seems to take a back seat to that and I get it, nationals is a huge college coach draw.

So, want to be seen, play ECNL. Want to develop? Maybe some ECNL clubs do a good job. I agree with the other poster that you really have to take the "team" focus and winning out of the equation and ODP does exactly that. The focus in every session is on individual development. The focus at Region 1 camp is who are the best individual players, etc.

I'm not dissing ECNL, it's a great tool and honestly my D loves it. Having said that, what I've seen in terms of the best player development has been with ODP, Revs RDS when girls were allowed to play with boys and it wasn't split, Futsal, and private/individual instruction. Much of the "development" that my D has seen at the club level has been team focused. If it wasn't for these other avenues and playing opportunities, she wouldn't be the player she is today. That was reality for my player. YMMV.
                So, ECNL doesn't develop, says they will showcase. ODP can develop, and they will showcase.

Again, why would anyone do both?

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                  so, ecnl doesn't develop, says they will showcase. Odp can develop, and they will showcase.

odp lol

Comment

So, ECNL doesn't develop, says they will showcase. ODP can develop, and they will showcase.

You're dense or a troll. Seriously. We've already said that ODP is focused on individual development. We've already said that ECNL is about showcasing. Do you have a kid playing in college, committed to one, or in the middle of recruiting for a spot? I'm guessing you don't because if you did, you would understand that just getting a spot on the team doesn't guarantee anything. Top players look for opportunities to develop their game and it happens in and out of club all the time. We chose ODP to continue to develop and ECNL for showcasing and playing against top competition.

That was our choice and we wouldn't change a thing. You obviously are concerned about money and return else you wouldn't be asking the same question over and over. If you can't afford both, choose one. We can afford both so that isn't an issue.

Life isn't fair. Get over other people's choices and figure out what works for you. Else STFU and stop trolling.

Comment

You're dense or a troll. Seriously. We've already said that ODP is focused on individual development. We've already said that ECNL is about showcasing. Do you have a kid playing in college, committed to one, or in the middle of recruiting for a spot? I'm guessing you don't because if you did, you would understand that just getting a spot on the team doesn't guarantee anything. Top players look for opportunities to develop their game and it happens in and out of club all the time. We chose ODP to continue to develop and ECNL for showcasing and playing against top competition.

That was our choice and we wouldn't change a thing. You obviously are concerned about money and return else you wouldn't be asking the same question over and over. If you can't afford both, choose one. We can afford both so that isn't an issue.

Life isn't fair. Get over other people's choices and figure out what works for you. Else STFU and stop trolling.
                      Earlier, ODP was mentioned as showcasing as well.

So, you pay all that money to be showcased, and you don't get any individual development out of it? My goodness.

No reason to get nasty because you piss your money away.

Comment

Earlier, ODP was mentioned as showcasing as well.

So, you pay all that money to be showcased, and you don't get any individual development out of it? My goodness.

No reason to get nasty because you piss your money away.
                        I'm not the poster, but why are you focused on money?
                        Do you think that families paying for elite club soccer and ODP are highly price sensitive?

My observation is that they are status sensitive, and most just find a way to pay.

Comment

I'm not the poster, but why are you focused on money?
                          Do you think that families paying for elite club soccer and ODP are highly price sensitive?

My observation is that they are status sensitive, and most just find a way to pay.
                          Isn't it curious that players in the best league in the land have to go elsewhere for develop? Doesn't that strike anyone as odd?

I hope my kid goes to Harvard Law and I'll plan on sending her to Suffolk at night so she can pass the bar...

Comment

Isn't it curious that players in the best league in the land have to go elsewhere for develop? Doesn't that strike anyone as odd?

I hope my kid goes to Harvard Law and I'll plan on sending her to Suffolk at night so she can pass the bar...
                            Of course, it's odd. Nobody wants to have to pay extra money on top of club for their player to develop, but that's the reality until clubs start providing a complete package, which they never will ( they get plenty of money doing the bare minimum).

Supplemental programs add a ton to individual development, but most don't deal with making teams and league play, etc. As someone mentioned, ODP is only once or twice a week, and I'm not sure how much official match play they do, but it's probably not enough. Good players will need to keep going with a club for gameday competition, additional training sessions and, yes, team focused training as well.

Comment

Ummm.... you do know thats exactly how law school and bar prep courses work, right?

Comment

Another thing Dodo
                                It’s already been stipulated that ODP is unnecessary if you are already on a super duper team in a super duper league by at least three different posters. Two had kids on NPLish teams, and at least one of those acknowledged their player went up to big name league and left ODP, and the third said their player was on super duper team but found ODP as a beneficial supplement anyway. if you have a point, or if you would like to share your experience please do, but please stop trying to question the decisions of people whose circumstances are different than yours

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X