Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Or when it gets to a corner kick and they don’t even know from which side of the corner flag to take the corner. Real basic stuff that it amazes me as a Ref that coaches do not teach their players.
    This amazes me as well. Pet peave.

Comment

Or when the team has no idea on how to execute a goal kick. Keepers keep kicking it directly into the opposition because the coach never addressed the issue.

Comment

My son (15) did it last year when they had off weeks. Knows the rules, wanted some extra cash, got about 3 games in before they hit their first really vile group of parents, had a dad follow him to the parking lot after the game for missing an offside call in a U10 game screaming the whole time.

I'm sure he could use some refining of his officiating skills, but a lot of these kids don't make it long enough to make their $ back for the online class before they bail out of fear for safety.

Refs are awful but parents are DEFINITELY worse

Comment

My son (15) did it last year when they had off weeks. Knows the rules, wanted some extra cash, got about 3 games in before they hit their first really vile group of parents, had a dad follow him to the parking lot after the game for missing an offside call in a U10 game screaming the whole time.

I'm sure he could use some refining of his officiating skills, but a lot of these kids don't make it long enough to make their $ back for the online class before they bail out of fear for safety.

Refs are awful but parents are DEFINITELY worse
          Other than the fact there is no offside in U10 all sounds pretty genuine to me .

Comment

Other than the fact there is no offside in U10 all sounds pretty genuine to me .
            Yea... thats why he didn't call it LOL

Comment

Why does the reffing get worse every year

There is offside in U10 games as per USA rules. There are many reasons why an obvious offside violation may not be called, as so with other LOTG violations. Spectators expect instant action on any slight infraction. What is perceived as indecision, "bad calls", or late calls is an incorrect understanding of a referee's discretion. A quick whistle is often the wrong call to make. Spectator's yelling "offside", "foul", or other commands to the referee just confuses the players. I've refereed many games where some players will stop due to the crowd complaints just let allow the other team to control the ball to attack the goal. Once I had all U12G players sit down just because a parent said "injury". One girl far away from play tripped over her own feet and fell down. I just stood there waiting for someone to kick the ball, which was still in play. It took a minute or two before they realized the game was still active.

Comment

There is offside in U10 games as per USA rules. There are many reasons why an obvious offside violation may not be called, as so with other LOTG violations. Spectators expect instant action on any slight infraction. What is perceived as indecision, "bad calls", or late calls is an incorrect understanding of a referee's discretion. A quick whistle is often the wrong call to make. Spectator's yelling "offside", "foul", or other commands to the referee just confuses the players. I've refereed many games where some players will stop due to the crowd complaints just let allow the other team to control the ball to attack the goal. Once I had all U12G players sit down just because a parent said "injury". One girl far away from play tripped over her own feet and fell down. I just stood there waiting for someone to kick the ball, which was still in play. It took a minute or two before they realized the game was still active.
                The really good referees will tell the kids not to take a knee as they can get cramped up the kids need to keep moving.

Comment

Why does the reffing get worse every year

A really good referee doesn't coach players.

Comment

Did this over labor Day weekend...Had enough of this FAT dad non step complaining about most of my calls when they went v his son's team.
                    About 10 minutes into the 2nd half, he gets up and yells again about a call...I walked over to him and asked him for his "home address"...he gave me that stupid " Huh" look and I repeated myself about getting his home address.
                    He asked me why? I told him I would like to come over to his home, sit and watch his parental skills and every time I disagree with his actions, I will yell at him...Gotta a nice round of applause and couple laughs from the other parents...

Comment

I completely sympathize with the refs as parents are often out of control for a youth soccer game.

On the flip side (in my opinion and in the rules for many leagues) The ref should not engage the parents directly. Simply stop the game and have the coaches go to the sideline and tell the parents to chill out or the game will be stopped and offending (or all ) parents will be removed before the game will continue.

This works almost all the time.

Comment

My teenage son is going on his third year refereeing. He says "it's the parents" that are the worse. He says many don't know the rules etc but think they do. He just ignores parents.

Comment

My teenage son is going on his third year refereeing. He says "it's the parents" that are the worse. He says many don't know the rules etc but think they do. He just ignores parents.
                          I am a referee and a parent. I can understand parents who are most of the time more emotional than plyers and I don't pay attention when they scream something unless it goes over the board. What I can't understand when coaches can't control themselves. And when they start questioning every calls or no call that they don't like it makes players and parents do the same. As a referee I have a tool that helps me to manage those kind of situation but it's an ugly side of soccer. And, sometimes I think how is it possible to allow those coaches to be around the kids.

Comment

referee

What's your tool? so I can pass to my son the referee? He has not dealt with an out of control coach(es) yet. He said he would give them a card.

He has been playing competitive soccer for a long time. You see all types. If the coach is questioning the referee(s) all the time, then I can see parents and players follow suit on the team (leadership). My son has been lucky that he has not had that kind of coach (including high school coaches).

Copy:
                            As a referee I have a tool that helps me to manage those kind of situation but it's an ugly side of soccer. And, sometimes I think how is it possible to allow those coaches to be around the kids.

I am a referee and a parent. I can understand parents who are most of the time more emotional than plyers and I don't pay attention when they scream something unless it goes over the board. What I can't understand when coaches can't control themselves. And when they start questioning every calls or no call that they don't like it makes players and parents do the same. As a referee I have a tool that helps me to manage those kind of situation but it's an ugly side of soccer. And, sometimes I think how is it possible to allow those coaches to be around the kids.

Comment

What's your tool? so I can pass to my son the referee? He has not dealt with an out of control coach(es) yet. He said he would give them a card.
                              That is correct, carding coach makes the difference. Before, you could verbally ask coach to behave and then, in theory, you could dismiss bad coach. But it didn't work very well. You always hesitate to dismiss the coach as it's a big thing and for youth referee it's almost never happen as they usually are intimidated by them, especially by those who are out of order.
                              Now, You can ask them once and the next time just show the card, no more talking. So, once you show the card they know the next time they get another yellow and it will be the end for them and if there is no other coach or a team manager with credentials the game stops.
                              In my experience, showing card to coach stops him/her from misbehaving, works 95%.
                              BTW, if there is a problem with a parent, you never should talk to a parent. You ask coach to deal with it and if it's not helping you show card to coach.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X