Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OPL smaller sides games

OPL is having age groups play smaller sides games then what is traditionally done at each age level. Ages 10U-12U will play a 7v7 format. Ages 13U-14U will play a 9v9 format. I do see benefits of smaller sides games, but at the u13-u14 level, is this appropriate for kids that will be preparing for high school soccer? Wondering what others feel pros and cons of this scenario are.

This is the best thing I’ve read aboutOPL

Comment

High school soccer is a disaster so who cares about preparing for it?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        High school soccer is a disaster so who cares about preparing for it?
        I’m in 7th grade so I do care about it. I very much want to play for the high school I will go to as well as playing club soccer. Why do you think high school soccer is disastrous?

Comment

I’m in 7th grade so I do care about it. I very much want to play for the high school I will go to as well as playing club soccer. Why do you think high school soccer is disastrous?
          A lot of unskilled players that will try to use physicality to make up gaps against players like you. Good luck if you play, watch out for your knees.

Comment

So there are only 2 reasons why they would move to smaller games. Reason 1 would be if they were allowed to have smaller numbers on the field, and this was necessary in order to meet those guidelines. however, from what I have heard they are allowed up to 50 per field, so meeting the 11v11 numbers should not be hard at all. So that jumps to reason 2, by doing this its basically taking 1 team and splitting them into 2 teams (for most) which will add more teams to their league. If i had to guess at the 2, i would guess that one.

Comment

So there are only 2 reasons why they would move to smaller games. Reason 1 would be if they were allowed to have smaller numbers on the field, and this was necessary in order to meet those guidelines. however, from what I have heard they are allowed up to 50 per field, so meeting the 11v11 numbers should not be hard at all. So that jumps to reason 2, by doing this its basically taking 1 team and splitting them into 2 teams (for most) which will add more teams to their league. If i had to guess at the 2, i would guess that one.
              And 3, many of the teams at the member clubs don’t have enough players to field an 11v11 game. Is the only field they have Portland Adventist?

Comment

And 3, many of the teams at the member clubs don’t have enough players to field an 11v11 game. Is the only field they have Portland Adventist?
                All good points. You are probably right that their decision was based on these factors and not from a development perspective.

Comment

A lot of unskilled players that will try to use physicality to make up gaps against players like you. Good luck if you play, watch out for your knees.
                  Okay. That makes sense. Thank you.

Comment

League will be ran out of Portland Adventist, 2-3 games going at a time on one field and it’s looking like co-Ed and mixed age groups. So a team of seven 12 year old boys playing a team of 7 ten year old girls. How exciting.

Comment

League will be ran out of Portland Adventist, 2-3 games going at a time on one field and it’s looking like co-Ed and mixed age groups. So a team of seven 12 year old boys playing a team of 7 ten year old girls. How exciting.

Phase 1 only allows 50 people at a venue. Good luck with that

Comment

opl

The opl was going to be joke no matter what.

Comment

Orange slices and plastic trophies for all

Comment

Is the OPL league actually starting some real games this weekend, or are the round robin 3v3's that SCA hosts every sunday all that is happening for OPL?

Comment

Is the OPL league actually starting some real games this weekend, or are the round robin 3v3's that SCA hosts every sunday all that is happening for OPL?
                              They just lost a bunch of teams, so looks like it’s a 3v3 panna fest this fall unless you are playing PSPL in Seattle. Lots of travel for horrible competition. Why??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X