Why not do away with ODP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THe English influence in coaching Youth soccer has peaked. The future for American soccer should embrace the large influx of Central and South Americans into the soccer culture. Previously, many have been left out due to socio-economic conditions , but the sport is changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      THe English influence in coaching Youth soccer has peaked. The future for American soccer should embrace the large influx of Central and South Americans into the soccer culture. Previously, many have been left out due to socio-economic conditions , but the sport is changing.
      Blah blah blah!!!! For years, if you were "Brazilian", could wear some soccer gear, and at a minimum knew the rules of soccer, then you were considered an expert here in the states. I will admit, the English accent is hitting it's peak now. The influx of coaches, "camps", and "clinicians" are starting to hit overload. People from the states are becoming more intelligent about the game and it's inner workings. The perception is "if someone comes from a country rich in soccer", then they must know more and undestand the game better than Americans. You don't see Aussie's or Canadians running premier clubs. I think the perception is we do know more about the game then those countries (no offense meant). The sad part is, most parents don't know better (and it's not a knock on them) to know if the individual themselves are a good coach. "Oh, he's from Brazil, he must be good". "Oh, he's from England, he must be an expert on the game". So, to say we should embrace the large influx of Central and South Americans into the soccer culture is a joke. What is happening here is that we are starting to get some good quality home grown coaching developing. Just be smart when looking for that coach. Where have they been, what have they done, what is their reputation? I think if you took a poll of parents, and had a choice Jose Doez from Argentina, "the land of Messi" and John Doe from Pennsylvania to coach your kid (without ever knowing their soccer background), a majority of parents would pick Jose Doez. It's not knowing better and a reluctance or lack of understanding that puts people in this position.

Comment

Blah blah blah!!!! For years, if you were "Brazilian", could wear some soccer gear, and at a minimum knew the rules of soccer, then you were considered an expert here in the states. I will admit, the English accent is hitting it's peak now. The influx of coaches, "camps", and "clinicians" are starting to hit overload. People from the states are becoming more intelligent about the game and it's inner workings. The perception is "if someone comes from a country rich in soccer", then they must know more and undestand the game better than Americans. You don't see Aussie's or Canadians running premier clubs. I think the perception is we do know more about the game then those countries (no offense meant). The sad part is, most parents don't know better (and it's not a knock on them) to know if the individual themselves are a good coach. "Oh, he's from Brazil, he must be good". "Oh, he's from England, he must be an expert on the game". So, to say we should embrace the large influx of Central and South Americans into the soccer culture is a joke. What is happening here is that we are starting to get some good quality home grown coaching developing. Just be smart when looking for that coach. Where have they been, what have they done, what is their reputation? I think if you took a poll of parents, and had a choice Jose Doez from Argentina, "the land of Messi" and John Doe from Pennsylvania to coach your kid (without ever knowing their soccer background), a majority of parents would pick Jose Doez. It's not knowing better and a reluctance or lack of understanding that puts people in this position.
        You don't know how good peope are unless they are included . Youth Soccer in America has evolved mostly as a pay to play model drawing on mostly white suburban parents with money to spend. Central and South American countries have a " soccer culture" , where many children of various socio-economic strata participate. No matter your coaching education, culture and experience can be valuable assets . One can dismiss many highly " educated" coaches from the mix just as easily when examining the rest of what they have to offer. But I give you credit for recognizing that English coaching has hit its peak.

Comment

You don't know how good peope are unless they are included . Youth Soccer in America has evolved mostly as a pay to play model drawing on mostly white suburban parents with money to spend. Central and South American countries have a " soccer culture" , where many children of various socio-economic strata participate. No matter your coaching education, culture and experience can be valuable assets . One can dismiss many highly " educated" coaches from the mix just as easily when examining the rest of what they have to offer. But I give you credit for recognizing that English coaching has hit its peak.
          There are good and bad coaches in all walks of life...some good English coaches some not so good and some bad. The same with S. Americans, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Polish the list can continue but I think you know where I am going.

Coaching education should not be dismissed and I have seen some good coaches with no coaching education and some really bad coaches with no coaching education. We should not tar everybody with the same brush because they are a certain Nationality! There is good and bad everywhere.........just do your homework on the coach before you entrust them with letting them coach your kid!

That's the beauty of our wonderful country.........there are so many diverse beliefs on how to play the game.

Comment

There are good and bad coaches in all walks of life...some good English coaches some not so good and some bad. The same with S. Americans, Portuguese, Spanish, German, Polish the list can continue but I think you know where I am going.

Coaching education should not be dismissed and I have seen some good coaches with no coaching education and some really bad coaches with no coaching education. We should not tar everybody with the same brush because they are a certain Nationality! There is good and bad everywhere.........just do your homework on the coach before you entrust them with letting them coach your kid!

That's the beauty of our wonderful country.........there are so many diverse beliefs on how to play the game.
            Okay, I can agree with you.

Comment

Okay, I can agree with you.
              Kumbaya.

Coaches and teachers. Great ones are born, not made. But you can make a good one out of almost anybody unless they have a character defect. And they can come from anywhere. I look for that spark of driving energy and ability to connect with the psych of a kid. Then I remain vigilant on character.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X