Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to ODP

As an admin in a club which is USYS affiliated, I know that the quality of ODP has declined over the years, participation is down, location is too far for many players, and the cost is prohibitive.

As an alternative, I'm planning to reach out to other clubs to see if there is interest in pulling together a 'select' team, using volunteer coaches, that would play in a top regional Memorial Day tournament instead.

I figured if I post on here I will be told everything that is wrong with the idea so I can adapt before proposing!

The timeline would be along the lines of:

Early March - Tryout (Indoor)
    March/April/May - one practice evening per month (1 x Indoor, 2 x Outdoor)
    Memorial Day Weekend Tournament in MA

Expected costs would be $120-$170 per player, including a uniform, but excluding travel and accommodation (if required).

That price would be without any additional sponsorship.

Comment

Good luck! I think there are a few gems out there on "smaller" clubs and anything that can get them exposure beyond going all-in with some of the other offerings can only be a good thing.

I can't vouch for your logistics or how to make it work as we are not your target market, but will be watching to see how it comes about.

Comment

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Good luck! I think there are a few gems out there on "smaller" clubs and anything that can get them exposure beyond going all-in with some of the other offerings can only be a good thing.

I can't vouch for your logistics or how to make it work as we are not your target market, but will be watching to see how it comes about.
          Thank you!

Comment

Someone started something similar to this in our area, calling it a "tournament team". They would practice maybe twice a month and then enter the team in holiday tournaments (Labor Day, Columbus Day, & Memorial Day). Since most of the club players have tournaments those weekends, the team was primarily made up of the better town travel players in the area who wanted a little bit extra (some club players tried to do both, but inevitably ended up choosing club when conflicts arose). The guy is still running it now probably four years in, and has added a few more teams for a total of three or four. There is most likely a market for it as long as you keep it at town travel level. I wouldn't go as far as saying you'd be able to create an alternative for ODP, since that's definitely more club level players, since it wouldn't be worth it for club players if the tournaments conflict.

Comment

Someone started something similar to this in our area, calling it a "tournament team". They would practice maybe twice a month and then enter the team in holiday tournaments (Labor Day, Columbus Day, & Memorial Day). Since most of the club players have tournaments those weekends, the team was primarily made up of the better town travel players in the area who wanted a little bit extra (some club players tried to do both, but inevitably ended up choosing club when conflicts arose). The guy is still running it now probably four years in, and has added a few more teams for a total of three or four. There is most likely a market for it as long as you keep it at town travel level. I wouldn't go as far as saying you'd be able to create an alternative for ODP, since that's definitely more club level players, since it wouldn't be worth it for club players if the tournaments conflict.
              That's great to hear. I agree that players on a team who are already attending high level tournaments would not be the target.

Can you share details of who is hosting this tournament team and the areas they pull from?

Comment

As an admin in a club which is USYS affiliated, I know that the quality of ODP has declined over the years, participation is down, location is too far for many players, and the cost is prohibitive.

As an alternative, I'm planning to reach out to other clubs to see if there is interest in pulling together a 'select' team, using volunteer coaches, that would play in a top regional Memorial Day tournament instead.

I figured if I post on here I will be told everything that is wrong with the idea so I can adapt before proposing!

Expected costs would be $120-$170 per player, including a uniform, but excluding travel and accommodation (if required).
                Do most town travel teams not compete in Memorial Day tournaments? Ours did, but not sure if that was an exception or the norm. Could definitely be a good alternative for kids who want a tournament but don't have a team entering.

Comment

Do most town travel teams not compete in Memorial Day tournaments? Ours did, but not sure if that was an exception or the norm. Could definitely be a good alternative for kids who want a tournament but don't have a team entering.
                  Ok I'm not buying this conversation. I may be cynical but this is the OP talking to himself.

Comment

Ok I'm not buying this conversation. I may be cynical but this is the OP talking to himself.
                    Ha, nope.

Our travel team has not attended tournaments in the past, but it's something I'm advocating more and more.

From what I've seen of other teams it is hit and miss for attendance.

The tournament doesn't necessarily have to be Memorial Day Weekend, it could be an early summer tournament after Spring season has ended.

Comment

What’s the end game of this idea? College exposure for a bottom tier team would be zero. Your not going to get in to any top tier event.

Comment

What’s the end game of this idea? College exposure for a bottom tier team would be zero. Your not going to get in to any top tier event.
                        Fun? Isn't that the end game for all players?

Comment

The overall premise of your idea has merit - have something more selective for some top players in the area to give them extra training and opportunities - but has some hurdles. First, some clubs may resist because they won't want their top talent discovered or for them to discover other clubs and coaches. There would have to be some reassurances about poaching. There could be registration and insurance issues. Memorial DA is a no-go as almost all clubs play in tournaments and players would be obliged to play for their clubs then. As a kind of non-team with no record you wouldn't get into the better tournaments whenever they are.

Comment

The benefits would be:

Fun
                            Higher Level training/competition for those who would like it (and for whatever reason - cost, geography, philosophy - ODP, or clubs like Seacoast/GPS are not an option)
                            And yes, hopefully college exposure if it's an idea that gains traction and we can eventually work with a tournament to get them into an appropriate bracket

Comment

The overall premise of your idea has merit - have something more selective for some top players in the area to give them extra training and opportunities - but has some hurdles. First, some clubs may resist because they won't want their top talent discovered or for them to discover other clubs and coaches. There would have to be some reassurances about poaching. There could be registration and insurance issues. Memorial DA is a no-go as almost all clubs play in tournaments and players would be obliged to play for their clubs then. As a kind of non-team with no record you wouldn't get into the better tournaments whenever they are.
                              Yeh I get that there are some hurdles, and we do need teams to be bought in to the idea.

I see the idea as being less of a commitment and more local for our players than ODP, but more of a commitment and playing in a tournament rather than an exhibition game that is offered by Granite State Games.

Insurance and Registration would have to be worked through with New Hampshire Soccer Association, but I would hope that they would be supportive! (I think as long as they are registered with a USYS team, they can be 'secondary' on another team even if it's not the same club).

Tournament brackets would be an issue, but the hope would be that working directly with a single tournament and building the relationship over several years would help with that.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X