X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The Line - State Championships edition

The algorithm initially refused to even place a spread on this game. On paper these two FCIAC favorites couldn’t be more evenly matched.

Two amazing defenses - Staples has allowed just 8 goals on the season; Ridgefield has the thumb to spare on one-handed counts. Two effective offenses - Staples has scored 53 goals, RHS, with the edge again, has netted 74. Their one meeting this year was scoreless.

And the two coaches spent most of last season’s off pitch time arguing over who’s dirty dishes were in the sink.

These teams are identical.

Except in two areas...trophies and big game experience. Staples will be appearing in their third finals game in 2 years (FCIAC and state). A laudable achievement for sure. But, they are 0 for 2 so far and didn’t make it to the semis in this year’s FCIAC dance.

Ridgefield’s story is a bit different. Consider this, the senior class on the team has never known a season without a trophy and this will be their 7th finals appearance in 4 years. They are 4 for 6 in those games, their only 2 losses coming in States to Glastonbury. They have 3 FCIAC titles and a state title.

Staples had the more difficult path to the finals, having to slog their way back thru the FCIAC middle table and then face the stalwart Glastonbury in an exhausting 1-0 match. By comparison Ridgefield got to cruise on their path, facing only Darien in a 1-0 monsoon quarters game decided by another goalie mistake/own goal (just like Staples’ win last night). In the semis, Ridgefield played their entire bench vs overmatched Simsbury and didn’t allow a single SOG by the Trojans.

The algorithm initially spit out a 0.5 advantage for Ridgefield based on their track record in championship games. But when I reminded the computer that CIAC rules allow for draws in title games, the algorithm retreated back to calling for a fence-straddling draw.

In the end, with the defenses of both teams being their best feature, whoever scores first will win the game.

Staples vs Ridgefield (even)

Over/under total goals = 1

Odds on a game decision after 80 minutes regulation = 3-1 against.
    I’ll pass on the coin flip outcome of this one, but I’ll take the under and the OT odds.

Comment

The Line - State Championships edition

The algorithm initially refused to even place a spread on this game. On paper these two FCIAC favorites couldn’t be more evenly matched.

Two amazing defenses - Staples has allowed just 8 goals on the season; Ridgefield has the thumb to spare on one-handed counts. Two effective offenses - Staples has scored 53 goals, RHS, with the edge again, has netted 74. Their one meeting this year was scoreless.

And the two coaches spent most of last season’s off pitch time arguing over who’s dirty dishes were in the sink.

These teams are identical.

Except in two areas...trophies and big game experience. Staples will be appearing in their third finals game in 2 years (FCIAC and state). A laudable achievement for sure. But, they are 0 for 2 so far and didn’t make it to the semis in this year’s FCIAC dance.

Ridgefield’s story is a bit different. Consider this, the senior class on the team has never known a season without a trophy and this will be their 7th finals appearance in 4 years. They are 4 for 6 in those games, their only 2 losses coming in States to Glastonbury. They have 3 FCIAC titles and a state title.

Staples had the more difficult path to the finals, having to slog their way back thru the FCIAC middle table and then face the stalwart Glastonbury in an exhausting 1-0 match. By comparison Ridgefield got to cruise on their path, facing only Darien in a 1-0 monsoon quarters game decided by another goalie mistake/own goal (just like Staples’ win last night). In the semis, Ridgefield played their entire bench vs overmatched Simsbury and didn’t allow a single SOG by the Trojans.

The algorithm initially spit out a 0.5 advantage for Ridgefield based on their track record in championship games. But when I reminded the computer that CIAC rules allow for draws in title games, the algorithm retreated back to calling for a fence-straddling draw.

In the end, with the defenses of both teams being their best feature, whoever scores first will win the game.

Staples vs Ridgefield (even)

Over/under total goals = 1

Odds on a game decision after 80 minutes regulation = 3-1 against.
      I will take Staples by a goal. The core of their starters are Juniors so they have now experienced some big games last year, broke through and finally beat StJ's this season and also defeated Glastonbury who beat them like a drum their Freshman year. Also, have to aggressively defend the set pieces.

Comment

I will take Staples by a goal. The core of their starters are Juniors so they have now experienced some big games last year, broke through and finally beat StJ's this season and also defeated Glastonbury who beat them like a drum their Freshman year. Also, have to aggressively defend the set pieces.
        looking to next year.

I think St Joes will be the team to beat. I have heard that their potential freshman class is looking real good. They were already a young team, so I see them being a force next year.

Comment

Do you ever give it a rest??

looking to next year.

I think St Joes will be the team to beat. I have heard that their potential freshman class is looking real good. They were already a young team, so I see them being a force next year.

Comment

Do you ever give it a rest??
            I can rest it on your chin if you’d like

Comment

looking to next year.

who the f cares about next year- its still this year
              good luck SHS and RHS should be a great game

Comment

looking to next year.

Who cares at this point? Do you actually freshmen will help SJ get over the top next year. It needs to come up from the upperclassmen; you can plug a couple freshmen here and there. Knowing JN, he will make key changes to the team next year. Tell your daughter that very few spots are safe.

-SJ Parent

Comment

Who cares at this point? Do you actually freshmen will help SJ get over the top next year. It needs to come up from the upperclassmen; you can plug a couple freshmen here and there. Knowing JN, he will make key changes to the team next year. Tell your daughter that very few spots are safe.

-SJ Parent
                  I agree. The secret to Glastonbury and Ridgefield’s success in the past 5 years has been a steady stream of upperclassmen leading the way and passing along the tenets of each program’s traditions and regimens. It’s never some highly vaunted sophomore or freshman that makes the difference at these schools. Each year, key seniors graduate and are replaced by juniors and sophs that are well prepared and got significant playing alongside these experienced winners.

You’ll never hear either of them touting the “incoming freshman class” ....ever.

Comment

I agree. The secret to Glastonbury and Ridgefield’s success in the past 5 years has been a steady stream of upperclassmen leading the way and passing along the tenets of each program’s traditions and regimens. It’s never some highly vaunted sophomore or freshman that makes the difference at these schools. Each year, key seniors graduate and are replaced by juniors and sophs that are well prepared and got significant playing alongside these experienced winners.

You’ll never hear either of them touting the “incoming freshman class” ....ever.
                    thats the difference between Big schools and small schools of choice (like St joes) Stjs has never been deep-they cant ,not enough bodies in the school (graduate 1 impact player this year)
                    they won last year with 5 freshmen starters
                    they started 4 freshmen this year (thats 9 starters below jr)
                    if they do get another decent freshmen class they may have the same upperclassmen leadership that you speak of but we shall see

Comment

The last championship runs St Joe's went on were due primarily to strong upperclassman leadership and strong contributions by freshmen. The only reason to tout next year's incoming freshman class is to put the current players on notice. Hype does not win games and championships.

-SJ Parent

Comment

thats the difference between Big schools and small schools of choice (like St joes) Stjs has never been deep-they cant ,not enough bodies in the school (graduate 1 impact player this year)
                        they won last year with 5 freshmen starters
                        they started 4 freshmen this year (thats 9 starters below jr)
                        if they do get another decent freshmen class they may have the same upperclassmen leadership that you speak of but we shall see
                        Possibly. St Joe's started 3 freshmen last year, not 5 as you indicated. My daughter was on the team. They started 7 freshmen her freshman year. Though they got great experience, they did not win any championships that year. The following 3 years they won states, but it was a good combination of upperclassmen and underclassmen, with individual roles and expectations well defined.

Comment

You dad's are pretty pathetic. I mean who else but chest beating dads would boast.

As a coach who played both. Ridgefield by 3 goals

Comment

Possibly. St Joe's started 3 freshmen last year, not 5 as you indicated. My daughter was on the team. They started 7 freshmen her freshman year. Though they got great experience, they did not win any championships that year. The following 3 years they won states, but it was a good combination of upperclassmen and underclassmen, with individual roles and expectations well defined.
                            forward, outside back,outside mid, holding mid 2017
                            outside mid, 2 outside backs,goalie (soph but 1st year on V), holding mid 2018

thats 9

Comment

forward, outside back,outside mid, holding mid 2017
                              outside mid, 2 outside backs,goalie (soph but 1st year on V), holding mid 2018

thats 9
                              Wrong. 3 freshmen started last year for the most part. Check 2017 roster. Anyhow good luck next year. Hopefully, the freshman class will St Joe's over the top. Though, I think that is way too early at this point.

Comment

Wrong. 3 freshmen started last year for the most part. Check 2017 roster. Anyhow good luck next year. Hopefully, the freshman class will St Joe's over the top. Though, I think that is way too early at this point.
                                for the most part? did they start more than 5 games or not
                                did they start in the FCIAC finals? state finals?
                                the point was depth and upperclassmen not star power

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X