X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agreed!
    kB was by far the most impactful player for lasalle all season...her performance dwarfed the reigning player of the year, who contrary to expectation, did not even garner much extra attention from opponents

Comment

LS had a great year which will translate into 4-5 players on 1st and 2nd team All State in coaches voting. SK will be 3-4. Smithfield, MH, NK might get 5-6 spots split between them. The middle of the pack will get at most 1 player on one of the teams. Coaches nominate their own players and wins count. Many coaches don’t really pay attention to the other team when they’re playing so coaches need to sell their players in the voting meeting. It’s hard for coaches to remember defenders so they’ll look at goals against. It will not surprise me if 2 LS defenders make all state. No comment on who the GK will be!

Comment

LS had a great year which will translate into 4-5 players on 1st and 2nd team All State in coaches voting. SK will be 3-4. Smithfield, MH, NK might get 5-6 spots split between them. The middle of the pack will get at most 1 player on one of the teams. Coaches nominate their own players and wins count. Many coaches don’t really pay attention to the other team when they’re playing so coaches need to sell their players in the voting meeting. It’s hard for coaches to remember defenders so they’ll look at goals against. It will not surprise me if 2 LS defenders make all state. No comment on who the GK will be!
        And right there is the farce of all state voting. The best players often get overlooked, because the laziness of top 2 teams stealing all the spots, even though there are more deserving players being overlooked. And coaches rewarding favorite seniors, instead of possibly nominating a better younger player. It’s all a joke.

Comment

And right there is the farce of all state voting. The best players often get overlooked, because the laziness of top 2 teams stealing all the spots, even though there are more deserving players being overlooked. And coaches rewarding favorite seniors, instead of possibly nominating a better younger player. It’s all a joke.
          Well, looks like all you have spoken too soon. The RIGSCA has given up selecting an All State team. The Projo will be the only All State team for the girls as the boys do the same.
          Instead of all the coaches weighing in the Projo will call a select few for their opinion resulting in some players having zero chance of getting on All State. Watch out what you wish for.

Comment

Well, looks like all you have spoken too soon. The RIGSCA has given up selecting an All State team. The Projo will be the only All State team for the girls as the boys do the same.
            Instead of all the coaches weighing in the Projo will call a select few for their opinion resulting in some players having zero chance of getting on All State. Watch out what you wish for.
            So what is the point of taxpayer money going to the RIGSCA then? So the coaches can get together on taxpayer money and slap themselves on the back over a chicken dinner?

At a minimum, the PROJO should take nominations from each coach with the caveat the coach can't nominate their own players. i like the suggestion of some after the season match like it seems VT and NH (?) do; I mean if PROJO is going to do it based on the occasional match or just the semis/finals, why not try something like that - it's not as if RI is so much bigger (and smaller geographically).

Hopefully the PROJO would be transparent in listing who gets ask..but that's doubtful.

Maybe they should survey the players..

Comment

Here's a novel idea - try to standardize the rules between high school and college. I agree that PK's are part of the game, but could we at least do 20 minutes of OT?
              No you can't. Really, you can't win in 90 minutes but you certainly will in 100.

Comment

So we go from one farce to another. So who are the Projo selection crew and do they see every team play?? Kinda insane that they would rely on the opinions of a “few” coaches to fill in the blanks (lemme guess, LaSalle coach gets first call). I’ll withhold final judgement until I see the list, but pretty sure it will be as biased as the past ways.

They should do a blind ballot from all coaches, and no coach can vote for their own players. Then you might get some unbiased/impartial results.

Comment

So what is the point of taxpayer money going to the RIGSCA then? So the coaches can get together on taxpayer money and slap themselves on the back over a chicken dinner?

At a minimum, the PROJO should take nominations from each coach with the caveat the coach can't nominate their own players. i like the suggestion of some after the season match like it seems VT and NH (?) do; I mean if PROJO is going to do it based on the occasional match or just the semis/finals, why not try something like that - it's not as if RI is so much bigger (and smaller geographically).

Hopefully the PROJO would be transparent in listing who gets ask..but that's doubtful.

Maybe they should survey the players..
                  How is RIGSCA taxpayer money? That is a coaches association, and I believe individual coaches are responsible for the dues.

Comment

How is RIGSCA taxpayer money? That is a coaches association, and I believe individual coaches are responsible for the dues.
                    Ha..ever ask to see your team's activity account or district's check register? Kudos if your coach pays (of course, who pays the coach's salary except the private schools) - but I'm guessing most of the publics pay in some form either directly or from the kids' fundraising.

And who pays the schools dues to RIIL? Or the Principals' PCOA membership (which by the way is a requirement to be in RIIL - huh, pretty nice that the members force taxpayers to subsidize their own membership that gives them some personal perks (again the privates).

Comment

No you can't. Really, you can't win in 90 minutes but you certainly will in 100.
                      so by your logic why even have OT? The point is whether 10, 20, or 30 minutes is right (or any OT) is debatable, but can why at least have the same standard?

Comment

I think the best way for the All State teams to be picked is for the parents to do it. Then it would finally be fair and unbiased. ha ha We know everything!
                        RIGSCA is a farce. I do know most of the coaches pay their own dues. I do know the RIGSCA hit the AD's for a yearly fee to cover the banquet and awards. I think it's around 100 dollars.
                        I do know between Projo and RIGSCA too many awards are given out.
                        We live in RI. We really don't have that many good players.
                        There should be an All-State First Team and an All State second team for the entire state. THAT'S IT! No more All Division. All Division First team is really third team all state, fourth team, etc... as you go down the list. Or does First team all division equal first team all state? If you are all state then surely you are first team all division? Or are you left off that list so more awards can be disbursed to more people creating more participation awards?
                        Why? so everyone is happy and everyone gets an award and most people are appeased.
                        Coaches did have a hand in All State up until this year. Players nominated and voted on. Perfect. No. At least several people had to vote on it. People that at least knew the players.
                        You are right. Some coaches will be the first to be called. Most likely you know who. lol
                        Oh well.

Comment

I think the best way for the All State teams to be picked is for the parents to do it. Then it would finally be fair and unbiased. ha ha We know everything!
                          RIGSCA is a farce. I do know most of the coaches pay their own dues. I do know the RIGSCA hit the AD's for a yearly fee to cover the banquet and awards. I think it's around 100 dollars.
                          There should be an All-State First Team and an All State second team for the entire state. THAT'S IT! No more All Division. All Division First team is really third team all state, fourth team, etc... as you go down the list. Or does First team all division equal first team all state? If you are all state then surely you are first team all division? Or are you left off that list so more awards can be disbursed to more people creating more participation awards?
                          Why? so everyone is happy and everyone gets an award and most people are appeased.
                          Coaches did have a hand in All State up until this year. Players nominated and voted on. Perfect. No. At least several people had to vote on it. People that at least knew the players.
                          You are right. Some coaches will be the first to be called. Most likely you know who. lol
                          Oh well.
                          Just my general beef - what is the point of RIGSCA? Do they actually advocate (I mean formally to ADs/Principals) for better rules/policies?

So if (mostly) public money is being used to fund awards and a dinner, why should the taxpayers pick that up? Taxpayers should pay for running the sport (publics), but awards and a banquet should be covered by parents who attend or other non-public sources. If you are going to take taxpayer money, then follow the rules for disclosure and actually do something (like run a halfway decent JV tournament, push for field standards, etc.)

Yes, it would seem too many awards - should just be one team per division and then from those 3 teams an all-state team is picked. At one point, didn't they also have "all division" team within the D1 when it has geo breakouts? Simple ballot as described earlier and then convene to debate the results.

Comment

Just my general beef - what is the point of RIGSCA? Do they actually advocate (I mean formally to ADs/Principals) for better rules/policies?

So if (mostly) public money is being used to fund awards and a dinner, why should the taxpayers pick that up? Taxpayers should pay for running the sport (publics), but awards and a banquet should be covered by parents who attend or other non-public sources. If you are going to take taxpayer money, then follow the rules for disclosure and actually do something (like run a halfway decent JV tournament, push for field standards, etc.)

Yes, it would seem too many awards - should just be one team per division and then from those 3 teams an all-state team is picked. At one point, didn't they also have "all division" team within the D1 when it has geo breakouts? Simple ballot as described earlier and then convene to debate the results.
                            RIGSCA has been a mess for years. It comes down to it's leadership, which there is none. The group on a whole is not respected and it does not have any say nor will it have any say when it comes to RIIL matters.
                            If you don't want taxpayers paying for awards that they pretty much pay for all sports then do away with half of these awards. How many individual awards do you need for a team sport?
                            These awards, and the invention of new ones, is for the parents. The players know it's the parents who have a hard time understanding.
                            Be a referee it's easier. Get your paycheck and go home. :)

Comment

Oh well.
                              The only power in RI is with RIIL. RIIL makes the state rules, runs the year end tournaments and makes the money. Beyond asking coaches for their All Division selections and holding a banquet, what really is the purpose behind RIGSCA? I don’t think RIIL listens to RIGSCA on anything important do they?

You are correct in that All Division is really a participation award. When coaches announce the All Division selections to their teams are they going to tell them that they alone picked them? If the players knew their own coach gave them the award and they weren’t selected by a statewide panel of coaches, it would diminish the significance and they would probably want to skip a night at the Crown Plaza pasta station. If RIGSCA holds a party and no one shows up will they keep holding it? Maybe you can get on the board and fix this.

Being All State in RI isn’t like saying you’re All State in someplace like FL, but we can’t change where we live, so should we not have All State selections? Coaches need to be involved in picking All State but they should not be able to nominate or promote their own players. That’s not how it’s done in big states and that’s what made the whole process biased when the RI coaches did it. When OTHER coaches notice players, that might be a better indication of a good player. Let’s see how the Projo does. I think you would agree that sometimes change is good and needed .

Comment

For all the people complaining about anyone losing in PK’s, here’s an idea..... beat the other team in the 90 minutes you play and you don’t need to go to PK’s. Novel huh?
                                You are a jerk...
                                Win or lose it makes sense to have it settled while playing the game, and often a rhythm isn’t found in just s five minute session....

And my kid won

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X