Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men's soccer: which is better Ivy or Patriot League?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    On the girls side, Patriot League could make a high money verbal offer before an interested Ivy could calculate a girls AI and have any idea of a likely letter or admit support. Patriot League can offer a sure thing. Pass it up, and maybe academics fall just short of Ivy and the player can’t get past admissions. Left out cold. A bird in the hand vs two in the bush problem?
    Interesting, but not relevant to the men's side really, right?

Comment

Virtually no men get 50% except internationals and the starting GK. If they've got good grades then merit money can be a difference maker. Ivies are much more generous with need based aid than other schools relying on FAFSA. If you're paying nearly full cost then pay for Ivy. However like another poster I find these scenario unlikely. An Ivy level student would normally be looking at more competitive privates than Patriot League schools (except as safeties). But an Ivy level student would likely get a ton of merit money.
      My MA son got 50% from a local Patriot league team as a field player. That is quite common. Do the math. A team can give a 50% athletic scholarship to 20 players on its roster. The other 10 get crumbs. For internationals, you can usually get them a full ride through need or academic $$.

Comment

Interesting, but not relevant to the men's side really, right?
        Do men never get verbal offers from Patriot league schools before they’d find out if they were accepted ED at an Ivy? Couldn’t this play into a hs boy’s decision also?

Comment

Do men never get verbal offers from Patriot league schools before they’d find out if they were accepted ED at an Ivy? Couldn’t this play into a hs boy’s decision also?
          But with the boys' slower timeline ot doesn't happen this way (a patriot league offer a year before the ivy decision). If a boy is *that* good that a patriot league school is recruiting him first he probably has his sights set on better soccer programs (Georgetown, UMich, UNC etc), I would guess.

Comment

My MA son got 50% from a local Patriot league team as a field player. That is quite common. Do the math. A team can give a 50% athletic scholarship to 20 players on its roster. The other 10 get crumbs. For internationals, you can usually get them a full ride through need or academic $$.
            Not discounting your personal experience, but using your math the bottom 10 would get nothing if the top 20 are getting 50% when D1 allows 9.9 men’s scholarships. That’s not likely which means that $ is being spread a lot thinner than you think. Remember that’s 9.9 scholarships PER TEAM so for an incoming class of say 7-8 freshman there are already 20+ upperclassmen who are already splitting some of those scholarships. So of those 7-8 coming in, let’s say 3 full scholarships are available. So how does the coach split 3 scholarships amongst 7 or 8? It’s likely goes like this...An international and 1 top domestic pick split one so 50% each. The other 5-6 players are splitting the remain 2 scholarships so best they can hope for is 33-40%, although possible 1-2 get nothing or next to nothing if the coach wants to give another player 50%.

Comment

Your experience is not typical and your son must have been highly desired by the coach. Almost no rosters are only 20 players - most are in the 25-28 range, even 30+ Put on a few international players and that wipes out a few full rides, leaving even less to split among the remaining. For the women's side 40-60% is much more the norm rather than the exception - more scholarships and far fewer international players

Comment

Not discounting your personal experience, but using your math the bottom 10 would get nothing if the top 20 are getting 50% when D1 allows 9.9 men’s scholarships. That’s not likely which means that $ is being spread a lot thinner than you think. Remember that’s 9.9 scholarships PER TEAM so for an incoming class of say 7-8 freshman there are already 20+ upperclassmen who are already splitting some of those scholarships. So of those 7-8 coming in, let’s say 3 full scholarships are available. So how does the coach split 3 scholarships amongst 7 or 8? It’s likely goes like this...An international and 1 top domestic pick split one so 50% each. The other 5-6 players are splitting the remain 2 scholarships so best they can hope for is 33-40%, although possible 1-2 get nothing or next to nothing if the coach wants to give another player 50%.
                Have either of you actually had a scholarship athlete on a Patriot League team? I did and the way I described it is what happened at that school. There were other offers from similar schools with the same $$. The depth players, #21-30, get very little. You sound like girl’s parents trumpeting how much better it is for them.

Comment

The Ivies will ask you to verbally commit well before the ED milestone, even though there isn’t a nickel on the table. They will be more patient than other schools, but will eventually want an answer. I believe they will provide a little assistance helping you see what level of need $$ you might be eligible for.

Comment

Have either of you actually had a scholarship athlete on a Patriot League team? I did and the way I described it is what happened at that school. There were other offers from similar schools with the same $$. The depth players, #21-30, get very little. You sound like girl’s parents trumpeting how much better it is for them.
                    We also sponsored an African International to that same Patriot League team. 100% need based scholarship so not an athletic dime committed.

Comment

How are you so certain what other players on your son’s team are getting? People are rarely honest about such things even when asked. Nobody wants to admit they get very little if anything. And how does it sit with your son’s 10+ teammates who are getting nothing when their teammates are getting 50%? Sounds like one happy team to be on!

Comment

How are you so certain what other players on your son’s team are getting? People are rarely honest about such things even when asked. Nobody wants to admit they get very little if anything. And how does it sit with your son’s 10+ teammates who are getting nothing when their teammates are getting 50%? Sounds like one happy team to be on!
                        Most of the last ten were just happy to say they made a D1 soccer team. Some played a little, especially when there were injuries. A few mentioned that they got help getting in to a better school than they expected. There was one or two that were in a situation where they started with no $$ but played their way into some $$. And there were a few that just bitched, mostly about PT.

Comment

Most of the last ten were just happy to say they made a D1 soccer team. Some played a little, especially when there were injuries. A few mentioned that they got help getting in to a better school than they expected. There was one or two that were in a situation where they started with no $$ but played their way into some $$. And there were a few that just bitched, mostly about PT.
                          I call bs. It’s fine if you tell us honestly what your son got, but don’t assume or make up what others got or didn’t get. Honestly, “a few that bitched, mostly about PT” sounds so made up - what did you do take off from work and drive to your son’s college everyday to listen to team banter on the practice field?

Comment

I call bs. It’s fine if you tell us honestly what your son got, but don’t assume or make up what others got or didn’t get. Honestly, “a few that bitched, mostly about PT” sounds so made up - what did you do take off from work and drive to your son’s college everyday to listen to team banter on the practice field?
                            No I sat in the stands with the parents for 60 or so games, and went to a large number of pre and post game tailgates. We are still friends with several of those parents years later, went to various PDL and USL games, etc.
                            Do you have any experience with this?

Comment

No I sat in the stands with the parents for 60 or so games, and went to a large number of pre and post game tailgates. We are still friends with several of those parents years later, went to various PDL and USL games, etc.
                              Do you have any experience with this?
                              The African kid still calls us Mom and Dad. We saw all his games and were on the field with him as a Senior getting his award. Unfortunately his parents never made any.

Comment

Financial packages are not typical tailgate party conversation. It makes people uncomfortable and can cause all kinds of headaches if someone thinks they're not getting their fair share, similar to talking about salaries with co workers. If someone is saying they got a good package most likely it's a combination of monies, especially for male players .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X