Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referee Abuse

LO Nike Cup coach approaches teenage referee after the game argues about a call and tells him he is a terrible ref.

At my club, you'd get fired for that.

How about yours?

This stuff has to stop!

No ref, no game.

What team? My DD’s former club talks big about respecting officials but I have seen coaches in the club behave deplorably, with no consequences.

Comment

I’m all for straight suspension or termination for that kind of behavior.

But I have also witnessed so awful refereeing that decidedly changed the outcome of important games.

Being a referee is a very hard job and the parent/coach abuse makes it worse. Really cuts the supply of referees and indirectly the quality.

This would help:

1. Strictly enforced rules about parent and coach behavior. Make examples out of people by ejecting them.

2. More referee training so they get better.

Comment

There is no recreational youth soccer match that is “important” enough that a ref needs to be approached, especially a young teenager.

This coach should be banned for one full year at a minimum. PERIOD.

Please let us know what team it was

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

But I have also witnessed so awful refereeing that decidedly changed the outcome of important games.

Being a referee is a very hard job and the parent/coach abuse makes it worse. Really cuts the supply of referees and indirectly the quality.

This would help:

1. Strictly enforced rules about parent and coach behavior. Make examples out of people by ejecting them.

Totally agree. There us bad reffing out there but kmtrens refs quit in droves because of bad parents and coaches. It's fair for a coach to offer constructive criticism after a game, but there's no need to berate a ref. A coach that does it is setting a poor example for his players and is contributing to the growing ref shortage. Not having enough quality refs impacts everyone.

Same for parents btw....poor example for your kids.

Comment

LO Nike Cup coach approaches teenage referee after the game argues about a call and tells him he is a terrible ref.

At my club, you'd get fired for that.

How about yours?

This stuff has to stop!

No ref, no game.
            What did you do to stop it? Stand up for the kid? Get the field marshall? Report what you witnessed to the tournament organizers?

Hopefully posting on TS was the very last thing you did ...

Comment

What did you do to stop it? Stand up for the kid? Get the field marshall? Report what you witnessed to the tournament organizers?

Hopefully posting on TS was the very last thing you did ...
              Posting on TS to anonymously shame and get like minded anonymous coaches, parents, refs to start talking about this. As posted prior, "we" talk a big game and then do the same stuff we say we don't do.

I heard after the fact 2nd hand.

Comment

It takes a lot of looks to get this game down. Sorry, but if you're at anyone of these Oregon summer tournaments, your teenage referee just may be getting their experience and training in your game. Sorry, you're not in MLS. When your player makes a mistake...unless you are an awful coach you let them "learn" from the mistake. When their is a lull, or maybe at half time or after the game, or even better at the next practice, you discuss with them the area they can improve.

That's the same for these referees, many of them are club players so they have plenty of experience with not only mental coaches who don't know the game, but of what it really looks like on the field. They have mentors or are evaluating them and/or older more experienced referees are their AR's.

They don't make "bad calls" on purpose to ruin your chance at winning the u12 bronze bracket. They make judgement calls that maybe you don't like because it didn't go your way. And even at the highest level you can ask a referee how a incident should be handled and you will get a variety of options.

Most really good coaches understand this and these good coaches tend to not bark at referees.

I knew of a club that required all head coaches to get their Grade 8 referee badge. Not a bad idea. I know when I did I realized how much of an ass I had been and I'm glad to say I changed my behavior immediately.

Comment

I had one "c'mon how's that a foul" that I'm a little ashamed of...but that's it. Never to a teenage referee. My goal is to go every game without engaging the referees about anything and about 99% of the time I'm successful.

Comment

This would help:

What is considered an “important game”?

I look at college level Hanes and higher as games that are “important”

Rec games at Lake Oswego are not “important” and do not warrant harassing a referee.

Comment

Rec games at Lake Oswego are not “important” and do not warrant harassing a referee.
                      If you paid money for your kid to be on the team. If you bought the uniform, your game is not "important." No referee in Oregon is being paid to be confronted by a coach or parent in Oregon on any team with players who bought their own uniform. If you are a coach and your players paid to be there; If you think your TTL match, Lake Oswego Tournament is "important" you are a delusional snob. If you are a coach, associated with a club and in any way condone this type of behavior you are a %100 fraud phony clown.

A lot of clubs we be a lot better off with the slogan, "Much better than rec" and be more honest about the whole thing.

Priorities:

Fun
                      Healthy
                      Life lessons
                      Spend time kids
                      Occupies time in a positive manner.

Comment

My DS is a referee. For him it is a pretty good part time job. I got my badge when he did and have done a few games. The view from the pitch is different. It's you and the players. They tune out their parents and coaches and usually don't get too worked up about calls one way or the other.

I support very strong policies on holding parents and coaches accountable at the club level for referee abuse.

Comment

State playoffs are important. National championships are important. Even then you have to take the cards you're dealt and hope the authorities are hiring the best they can. League games and tournaments are not important. Player safety is the number one priority.

Comment

Ref positions should be for those that played the game at a high level. People that never played the game understand the rules, but not the game.

Comment

Ref positions should be for those that played the game at a high level. People that never played the game understand the rules, but not the game.
                              Not enough money in it to ensure that. Something like 90% of new teenage referees quit after the first year because of referee abuse. I had a center in LO cup who had once played for coach (LOSC) and the coach kept calling him by his first name and was very passive aggressive. Hey Jimmy, can you explain to my how that was hand ball? Answer, actually dumb ass there is no such thing as handball... Hey Jimmy. Are you sure she was off-sides? I didn't see it that way.

I got my Grade 8 with a couple of my players two years ago. I was the only adult in the class. All kids, all players. Most hoping for a good part time job and to spend time in a game they enjoy. These kids were players and could have turned into something.

My DS very first game an adult called him a "****ing moron." What kind of club culture exists for that grown-up to say that to a 14 year old AR? In group play in Mt. Hood Challenge two years ago. Team from Arizona, don't remember the club.

If you want better referees, treat them better. To an earlier post, yes "we" all talk a big game and then are the biggest violators. My prior club would suspend parents from the grounds, coaches, even without league intervention. They had a very progressive policy on sideline conduct.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X