Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Actually if there were less clubs and they leveled things better it would be a none issue. Back in the old MAPLE days the rosters on the top 3/4 teams in D1 were much more consistent talent wise than they are today. Kids might not have been better soccer players because I do believe the training has gotten better but the talent was more evenly distributed than it is today. What is going on today is the soccer equivalent to "mainstreaming" in education except in soccer you also effectively throw the gifted and talented students in the same environment. The only ones that benefit are the kids being mainstreamed, but that comes at the expense of the rest of the class.
    It was a lot simpler back in the day when Julie Foudy could go straight from High School/Club - ODP - Stanford - Olympics - World Cup - ESPN.

We need more of that.

Comment

Actually if there were less clubs and they leveled things better it would be a none issue. Back in the old MAPLE days the rosters on the top 3/4 teams in D1 were much more consistent talent wise than they are today. Kids might not have been better soccer players because I do believe the training has gotten better but the talent was more evenly distributed than it is today. What is going on today is the soccer equivalent to "mainstreaming" in education except in soccer you also effectively throw the gifted and talented students in the same environment. The only ones that benefit are the kids being mainstreamed, but that comes at the expense of the rest of the class.
      Wow, BTNT. So distorted and in such a self-serving way. You wouldn't have liked your stud on one of the top 3-4 teams in the MAPLE days any more than you did a few years ago. I can show you lists where a portion of those teams ALWAYS went D3. Then there is the hypocrisy of your constant rant of club and level of play not mattering in the least....that it's all about talent, and you very specifically crowed on and on about how many great reasons you had for not putting your kid on a very top team. Of course you've got so many very important narratives going I'm sure it's hard to keep them straight, lol.

Comment

Wow, BTNT. So distorted and in such a self-serving way. You wouldn't have liked your stud on one of the top 3-4 teams in the MAPLE days any more than you did a few years ago. I can show you lists where a portion of those teams ALWAYS went D3. Then there is the hypocrisy of your constant rant of club and level of play not mattering in the least....that it's all about talent, and you very specifically crowed on and on about how many great reasons you had for not putting your kid on a very top team. Of course you've got so many very important narratives going I'm sure it's hard to keep them straight, lol.
        Silly, kids like his got their training elsewhere and were only on teams to draw nuts like you in who thought the college coaches would eventually stop paying attention to her and start paying to your kid. Must really suck to have to live off table scraps.

Comment

Isn't the point that you really can't call it a "top team" if a good chunk of the roster is really headed for D3 and D2. The cold reality is kids that are destined for D2 or D3 are not capable of playing at the same speed as those that are headed to D1 (and there are even striations between the levels of D1). How could they? Never mind the drop off in athleticism, most of those kids simply don't put in the same amount of work and they clearly have other priorities (like education) so this concept of a "top team" that gets floated around here is really a misnomer. The whole concept has be discussed and debunked for years here. Suffice to say that everything is watered down these days.
          Nonsense. Pace of play ? Maybe relevant at 20 programs.

Comment

Agree with this. Everyone’s choice is their own and is a great choice if the kid is happy but it is funny and hypocritical what some families do, say & back track. Teammate of dd’s parents were hell bent on Ivy or very top academic D3 being the only path for their “superstar” dd. Outwardly denigrated any non Ivy school as being beneath them. Spent 9th & 10th grade attending every Ivy camp over and over. No real interest from Ivy soccer programs. Meanwhile, the kid’s grades and test scores came back less than stellar. Junior year, she ended up getting one offer from a low level P5 big state school w/average academics. Normally it would be quite impressive to go even lower P5 but it is funny to see the backtracking now of how she never wanted Ivy or academic D3, big football program in middle of nowhere was always what she wanted, etc. Not only serious back tracking but now seriously scoffing and turning noses up at other teammates going Ivy or academic d3.

This is the reverse but same thing as the parents who were hell bent on Power 5 D1, but ended up academic D3 because they weren’t recruited to the D1 schools. No one cares which way your kid went and hopes all girls do well and are happy but, back peddling parents are worth laughing at when they scoff at others for making the same choices they wanted to but didn’t end up having that option. Both sides of those type of parents need to get off their high horses or be fair game for ridicule. The sane parents who admit compromises and don’t judge others are a breath of fresh air and deserve respect. Extra good luck to their kids!
            My dd’s team had parents just like this. Kid ended up happy at a mid pack big d1 state school but after the many years of parental bragging that only ivy is good enough, they are now trying to mend fences they tore down with the d1 crowd. Also trying to pretend kid didn’t want Ivy anyway instead of admitting they didn’t get in. In the end their dd will be happier and will fit in better academically at the state school so it should all work out for the best.

Comment

My dd’s team had parents just like this. Kid ended up happy at a mid pack big d1 state school but after the many years of parental bragging that only ivy is good enough, they are now trying to mend fences they tore down with the d1 crowd. Also trying to pretend kid didn’t want Ivy anyway instead of admitting they didn’t get in. In the end their dd will be happier and will fit in better academically at the state school so it should all work out for the best.
              Who cares?! And please, stop acting like this has anything to do with soccer. Parents like you describe exist in every corner of the planet and with respect to an endless number of activities and issues.

Comment

Silly, kids like his got their training elsewhere and were only on teams to draw nuts like you in who thought the college coaches would eventually stop paying attention to her and start paying to your kid. Must really suck to have to live off table scraps.
                Ridiculous, BTNT, but even still that does nothing to rehabilitate the enormous errors and distortions in your posts. All the way from every top team would NEVER have any D3 slugs to your past posts bragging about how team, level and club doesn't matter in the least while COMPLAINING that your own team had at least several kids who went D3. The very thing you insist never existed you used to constantly complain about as an almost tragic reality.

Comment

Ridiculous, BTNT, but even still that does nothing to rehabilitate the enormous errors and distortions in your posts. All the way from every top team would NEVER have any D3 slugs to your past posts bragging about how team, level and club doesn't matter in the least while COMPLAINING that your own team had at least several kids who went D3. The very thing you insist never existed you used to constantly complain about as an almost tragic reality.
                  Please STFU. So tired of your I See BTNT posts
                  Respond to the content. You are insufferable.

Comment

Thanks, BTNT.

Comment

amen. beyond boring

Comment

Could this post be any more condescending and distorted? So, you're saying my kid joined a team because your kid was on it, thinking oh your kid will be all set but will draw a ton coaches who will see my kid, but not really and at best will "have to live off table scraps." How about your kid wouldn't have had a team to play on if your thesis you're spouting now was correct that "less than" players never end up on "top teams." You have completely sidestepped the point that for your demands to be met (and you complained bitterly all the friggin time) there could only be one team with all the true D1 studs in the state and they'd have no one to play against. And then, instead of wishing that your team had a few more studs you blame the situation on the kids you disdain who had the nerve to try out for a team. And btw, this IS responding directly to content, the very content harped on in the past as well as the content offered in this current thread.

Comment

Could this post be any more condescending and distorted? So, you're saying my kid joined a team because your kid was on it, thinking oh your kid will be all set but will draw a ton coaches who will see my kid, but not really and at best will "have to live off table scraps." How about your kid wouldn't have had a team to play on if your thesis you're spouting now was correct that "less than" players never end up on "top teams." You have completely sidestepped the point that for your demands to be met (and you complained bitterly all the friggin time) there could only be one team with all the true D1 studs in the state and they'd have no one to play against. And then, instead of wishing that your team had a few more studs you blame the situation on the kids you disdain who had the nerve to try out for a team. And btw, this IS responding directly to content, the very content harped on in the past as well as the content offered in this current thread.
                          Have to admit, the clubs sell their nt call ups just as much as they do their college commitments. Everyone knows who the nt call ups are within 5 minutes of them showing up at a field. If parents didn't buy all they hype we wouldn't be constantly barraged by it.

Comment

Have to admit, the clubs sell their nt call ups just as much as they do their college commitments. Everyone knows who the nt call ups are within 5 minutes of them showing up at a field. If parents didn't buy all they hype we wouldn't be constantly barraged by it.
                            What's your point? If a kid on your team has had NT exposure then your kid (or my kid) should not be on the team and shouldn't even try out as a courtesy to the NT kid? Really?

Comment

Nonsense. Pace of play ? Maybe relevant at 20 programs.
                              Pace of play is very relevant. You need to be able to play quickly at the top programs or any very good program. I disagree that no D2 or D3 kids can do this. I see some D1 kids and wonder how they got through the filters required.

Comment

What's your point? If a kid on your team has had NT exposure then your kid (or my kid) should not be on the team and shouldn't even try out as a courtesy to the NT kid? Really?
                                Doesn't this many times up the level of play? My kid loved to play with, train with and against any kid or kids that received that additional high level training.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X