Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do what the rest of us do, sacrifice. Get another job, cut back on the eating out. Find another family to carpool to practice with or to games with. Don’t travel with the whole family, just one parent or a teammate’s parent if necessary.

The world doesn’t owe your kid anything. The US Constitution doesn’t guarantee your family can afford club soccer. Not happy with your lot in life? Go out and change it. Whining on an anonymous internet forum about how pay2play girls club soccer is unfair and only rich white kids can afford it isn’t going to get your kid on the team and traveling to showcases.
    I don’t think the poster was implying his kid was unable to play due to the pay to play system but rather that talented players are overlooked because their parents can’t afford club soccer. It’s not as easy as going out and getting a second job, or cutting back on eating out for some people.

Comment

I don’t think the poster was implying his kid was unable to play due to the pay to play system but rather that talented players are overlooked because their parents can’t afford club soccer. It’s not as easy as going out and getting a second job, or cutting back on eating out for some people.
      Sad but true. I also would like to ski more often and go out West to bigger peaks, but I just can't afford it. So, I'm stuck doing what I can where I can.

Comment

Sad but true. I also would like to ski more often and go out West to bigger peaks, but I just can't afford it. So, I'm stuck doing what I can where I can.
        You’re an ugly person.

Comment

This isn’t a pay to play thread, but here is a good article explaining. Most clubs have some sort of financial aid for those who may need it.
          https://www.soccertoday.com/american...t-realy-wrong/

Comment

You're also not part of a country that talks about building a skiing culture but then takes steps to ensure that only the wealthiest skiers are identified as "talented".

Look, it's ludicrous that around the globe soccer is played by just about everyone regardless of income level and right here we have children of immigrants who could probably kick our little white kids a$s but we take every caution we can to keep them out.

Posts like this one illustrate exactly that. This poster knows full well that if the playing field was equal his little star wouldn't be on top. (Probably isn't now either, probably at some 2nd rate club but hey, she has the patch). So instead he frames soccer at a "luxury" product and is comfortable keeping the less-thans out so that he can go on bragging about his "elite' kid. Super special to be the best of the rich kids!

Comment

This isn’t a pay to play thread, but here is a good article explaining. Most clubs have some sort of financial aid for those who may need it.
              https://www.soccertoday.com/american...t-realy-wrong/
              Not so much. To qualify for the rare scholarship you basically have to be dirt poor, even for USDA. We're talking like incomes of $35K. Many families are too embarrassed to even ask. To get to the higher levels of soccer you need to be paying at progressively higher levels. You're not going to get into ECNL or DA if you've been doing town rec until you're 14. For a player to get that assistance all along is unlikely.

Also, it isn't just about the fees but the travel and trying to get kids to practices when parents work 2+ jobs. Carpooling isn't always an option because of location. I know two BDA players who turned down MLS spots but family logistics were just impossible, no matter what they tried. They certainly couldn't afford a driver/baby sitter like plenty of middle to upper income soccer families can.

I agree pay to play isn't the only thing holding us back - there are many things - but it is a big component.

Comment

Not so much. To qualify for the rare scholarship you basically have to be dirt poor, even for USDA. We're talking like incomes of $35K. Many families are too embarrassed to even ask. To get to the higher levels of soccer you need to be paying at progressively higher levels. You're not going to get into ECNL or DA if you've been doing town rec until you're 14. For a player to get that assistance all along is unlikely.

Also, it isn't just about the fees but the travel and trying to get kids to practices when parents work 2+ jobs. Carpooling isn't always an option because of location. I know two BDA players who turned down MLS spots but family logistics were just impossible, no matter what they tried. They certainly couldn't afford a driver/baby sitter like plenty of middle to upper income soccer families can.

I agree pay to play isn't the only thing holding us back - there are many things - but it is a big component.
                Amazing how the elites have taken what should be the least expensive sport and greedily converted it into one with the least access and most expensive.

That's fine, just don't go around "talking" about equality at the "country club" when you are one of the prime reasons for the problem. If your not living it, than don't pretend to be a proponent for equality.

Comment

Amazing how the elites have taken what should be the least expensive sport and greedily converted it into one with the least access and most expensive.

That's fine, just don't go around "talking" about equality at the "country club" when you are one of the prime reasons for the problem. If your not living it, than don't pretend to be a proponent for equality.
                  Man you seem like an angry elf. Please stop blaming anonymous "elites" and start looking at basic functions of human nature and free markets. Youth sports in the US is estimated at $17B (bigger than NFL). https://www.wintergreenresearch.com/youth-sports
                  At that size many segments other than elites are participating. Why any one family participates is a complex matrix of factors, but give your children an advantage is prevalent among them. That doesn't mean they are greedy, merely human.

Comment

So what? It is what is is. Those that can adapt to the realities in life, and make it work for them are going to be the most successful. Youth club soccer is a LUXURY, not a must have in life. Why should anyone have to foot someone else’s bill for their kid to play on an “elite “ club team. Ridiculous.I’m not rich, but I’ve chosen to work my ass off and sacrifice other things, so my kid can play club. I’m sure some day, I’ll wish I had the money that we spent on kids sports for something else, but we made the choice and we own that choice.

Comment

Man you seem like an angry elf. Please stop blaming anonymous "elites" and start looking at basic functions of human nature and free markets. Youth sports in the US is estimated at $17B (bigger than NFL). https://www.wintergreenresearch.com/youth-sports
                      At that size many segments other than elites are participating. Why any one family participates is a complex matrix of factors, but give your children an advantage is prevalent among them. That doesn't mean they are greedy, merely human.
                      Spot on. Youth sports is a BUSINESS.Many people are making a LIVING off of youth sports.
                      That is all.

Comment

You're also not part of a country that talks about building a skiing culture but then takes steps to ensure that only the wealthiest skiers are identified as "talented".

Look, it's ludicrous that around the globe soccer is played by just about everyone regardless of income level and right here we have children of immigrants who could probably kick our little white kids a$s but we take every caution we can to keep them out.

Posts like this one illustrate exactly that. This poster knows full well that if the playing field was equal his little star wouldn't be on top. (Probably isn't now either, probably at some 2nd rate club but hey, she has the patch). So instead he frames soccer at a "luxury" product and is comfortable keeping the less-thans out so that he can go on bragging about his "elite' kid. Super special to be the best of the rich kids!
                        Wahhhhh Waaaaah Wahhhhh. Nobody owes you or your kid anything. You are free to go to any
                        other country that welcomes all kids to play soccer. Go see how it really is. Or maybe you can teach your kid about work ethic and overcoming adversity to achieve things. There are plenty
                        of what you call “less thanks” in the highest levels of soccer. Stop making excuses.

Comment

Wahhhhh Waaaaah Wahhhhh. Nobody owes you or your kid anything. You are free to go to any
                          other country that welcomes all kids to play soccer. Go see how it really is. Or maybe you can teach your kid about work ethic and overcoming adversity to achieve things. There are plenty
                          of what you call “less thanks” in the highest levels of soccer. Stop making excuses.
                          Is this person a cross between Rapino and Trump. This response is weird.
                          Sounds like a short circuiting triggered millennial?

Get a grip....We are just F....ing with you Ted.

Comment

Pay to play is not an ideal system, but please educate yourself about how talent identification works in some of the countries where "everyone regardless of income level" plays... Many of these kids are chewed up and spit out by the system that is in place. It's not all sunshine and rainbows.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                              wahhhhh waaaaah wahhhhh. Nobody owes you or your kid anything. You are free to go to any
                              just play the f’in game to play the f’in game.
                              None of this matters in the long run

idiots, all of you

Comment

Pay to play is not an ideal system, but please educate yourself about how talent identification works in some of the countries where "everyone regardless of income level" plays... Many of these kids are chewed up and spit out by the system that is in place. It's not all sunshine and rainbows.
                                Not the poster and it is a brutal system. But it works and produces the beat talent in the world. It It works in part because playing professionally can be very lucrative and is seen as something worth sacrificing for. Here soccer is not. Even for our top sports athletes are expected to finish HS, some have to play college for a while and many want to play in college to help them go pro. Different mindset that isn't going to change soon, even less so for soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X