Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Within 3-4 hours? Are you crazy! Let's see - kid gets up at 6 to go to school, gets out of school between 3-4. Jump in a car and drive for three hours to a 7 p.m. practice, which lasts until 8:30 (I'm guessing an hour and a half for practice). then the kid gets back in the car and drives another three hours to home. Gets home at 11:30. That's insane. Does not include time for meals or school work. DA won't work to improve the quality of our players because it was never intended to create better players - it was a US soccer money grab. Look at the distribution of clubs - you can find them only in places where you can find tons of money.
    Home school or IMG residency.

Comment

It costs tons of money to play in the da and gda for the most part. Why would they put them in areas where the players cannot afford to join ?
      It isn't just about distance - which is important - but also ability to get there. Many lower and middle income families have two working parents (or even single parents) that can't drive a player 4-5 times/week to practices. Car pooling isn't always possible because players are spread out all over a metro area. Public transportation in most pats of the country is nonexistent (even when it's there can involve multiple changes and a lot of time). Hiring someone to drive your kid is a luxury. So is having an extra car once a player has their license.

Solutions? I read about one club (Seattle? Dallas? I can't remember) that had buses pick up at a few meeting points throughout the city, and then they have a room for players to do homework if they have time to kill. Some MLS clubs are starting residency programs, either with an actual school or they house players with host families. That's how to broaden your player base without adding more clubs. More clubs isn't the solution, especially when it means adding poorer quality ones or adding clubs with smaller player pools to find talent

Comment

Real solutions won’t present themselves until there is more money in the system.

When it pays to develop and sell players, the assets will be developed. Clubs will invest in the players when they trulybsee a return on investment.

No one is going to do it for altruistic reasons or to help improve the talent for USNT. They’ll do for $.

Comment

In defense of our US GU15 Concacaf Championship team who struggled in regulation and had to go to OT to beat Mexico, they were actually GU14 players. So they were playing up a year and still won the tournament against mainly older girls. Almost all of the GU15 team are GDA players so I assume the same holds true with the GU14s.

Comment

Real solutions won’t present themselves until there is more money in the system.

When it pays to develop and sell players, the assets will be developed. Clubs will invest in the players when they trulybsee a return on investment.

No one is going to do it for altruistic reasons or to help improve the talent for USNT. They’ll do for $.
            We dont buy and sell players for profit so we can not have that system here. Our system is is not designed to win world cups.

Comment

In defense of our US GU15 Concacaf Championship team who struggled in regulation and had to go to OT to beat Mexico, they were actually GU14 players. So they were playing up a year and still won the tournament against mainly older girls. Almost all of the GU15 team are GDA players so I assume the same holds true with the GU14s.
              True.

2 years ago at CONCACAF in Orlando the on age u15 girls beat Mexico 1-0. I watched the game and teams were evenly matched. So, I think that US is actually thinking about development and pushing their younger players to play up against harder completition, results / trophies or not. Good philosophy.

Comment

We dont buy and sell players for profit so we can not have that system here. Our system is is not designed to win world cups.
                I agree. Perhaps, we can evolve into something that will mirror Europe more.

NFL losing steam and football head injuries are taking huge numbers of young football players out of the sport.

European leagues on TV more and more, creating real futball fans. One can only hope.

Comment

It costs tons of money to play in the da and gda for the most part. Why would they put them in areas where the players cannot afford to join ?
                  Ummm, because the goal is to develop players, not to make money?

Comment

The distances to the vast majority of the nation is irrelevant. What's important is what percentage of the population is within 3-4 hours of a program. Almost half of the US is uninhabited. Geographic spacing is a ridiculous argument. Check a map and you can see how much of the US has zero population.
                    States without girls DA- Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. Alabama, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia, Minnesota, Montana- and there are some others including Hawaii and Alaska. I guess if you live in any of those states you don’t matter to DA or US Soccer.

A top talent in Mississippi would have to drive a minimum of 6-8 hours for training. Explain how that is feasible?

Comment

States without girls DA- Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi. Alabama, Missouri, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia, Minnesota, Montana- and there are some others including Hawaii and Alaska. I guess if you live in any of those states you don’t matter to DA or US Soccer.

A top talent in Mississippi would have to drive a minimum of 6-8 hours for training. Explain how that is feasible?
                      Being near a gda goes not mean you matter to us soccer. You should see the one near my kid. No thanks.

Comment

Being near a gda goes not mean you matter to us soccer. You should see the one near my kid. No thanks.
                        I am sure- my point being that “if” the DA is used to identify and develop talent they are missing about 50% of the states. The old ODP system at least have players an opportunity for a look regardless of where they were from or how much money their parents had.

Comment

I am sure- my point being that “if” the DA is used to identify and develop talent they are missing about 50% of the states. The old ODP system at least have players an opportunity for a look regardless of where they were from or how much money their parents had.
                          Apologies to the 6 kids per state that play on the NT but the rest of the population will do what their kids need, not what those 6 kids need.

Comment

Apologies to the 6 kids per state that play on the NT but the rest of the population will do what their kids need, not what those 6 kids need.
                            Your post doesn’t even make sense. The point was that US Soccer isn’t trying to dig deep and find the best talent to develop it. Yes- we all get it that very few ever make it that far- but the goal should be to find talent and develop it. Not write off at least 50% because they don’t even have access to a program where identification can begin. It goes back to a grass roots effort of identifying and developing talent. That is good for everyone

Comment

Your post doesn’t even make sense. The point was that US Soccer isn’t trying to dig deep and find the best talent to develop it. Yes- we all get it that very few ever make it that far- but the goal should be to find talent and develop it. Not write off at least 50% because they don’t even have access to a program where identification can begin. It goes back to a grass roots effort of identifying and developing talent. That is good for everyone
                              I dont think your post makes sense. A super exclusionary GDA league that excludes players without all that money and travel time available will allow us to find and develop our female talent? Hogwash. Best player could be sitting next to the best GGA club and in the country and not be able to access it.

Comment

I dont think your post makes sense. A super exclusionary GDA league that excludes players without all that money and travel time available will allow us to find and develop our female talent? Hogwash. Best player could be sitting next to the best GGA club and in the country and not be able to access it.
                                sitting next to the best gda club and not being able to access it? HOGWASH, I would guess its probably due to lack of talent and not financial cause if your kid can play and is flat out broke they will find a way through scholarships

however if only YOU think your kid is awesome and everyone else thinks she is ok, then we have a problem which leads to the DA bashing

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X