Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Makes complete sense. No ball in a soccer practice. What a joke the CIAC (and the NCAA for that matter) is.
    But by rule, it's not a soccer practice, right? Wouldn't the coach be in violation if balls were used?

Isn't this conditioning?

And don't the current rules allow for a coach to work with up to 6 girls from his or her program without violation?

Comment

Rookie to Connecticut...

Wait there's more fun to be had in The NUTmeg state.

- Just wait until preseason camp. Where you pay the non mandatory fee to the boys coach and the boys pay the fee to girls coach.
      - Pay to play fees
      - two ref system with old men who don't move
      - .400 winning percentage teams make the playoffs
      - No club soccer until your kids high school season is over
      - Parents physically attacking coaches
      - Racism in the stands
      If it's non-mandatory, why are you bitching about it? Is there a violation when the girls coach works with the boys team in the summer?

Have you asked why your school has to use Pay to Play? What alternative do you suggest to avoid this outcome?

Do you want you athletic department and the state to force the 3-Man system into place? At all levels (V, JV and FR)? Who has to bear the brunt of the extra cost for officials? Do we put that on the already strained high school budgets? Or do we cope with it by adopting Pay to Play? Have you researched the general availability of officials at 3:45 on a weekday afternoon? Are there enough available to cover the demand? What is your proposed solution to the referee issues at the high school level?

Have you ever read the rationale used by the CIAC to adopt the 40% qualification threshhold? Do you disagree with this philosophy? Why? Or have you just taken up issue with it being at 40% and never tried to understand why?

Can you tell me exactly what make soccer better in Connecticut by letting athletes play both club and school soccer at the same time? How does it improve the game and the situation for the players themselves?

Exactly how many documented instances do we have in Connecticut of soccer parents physically attacking coaches? What percentage of games does this occur in? In the cases where this has happened, has there been sufficient response from the CIAC and the justice system? Are you attempting to use anecdotal information as some kind of factual proof of a larger issue? What is that issue?

Exactly how many documented instances do we have in Connecticut of racism in the stands that is directed at the players on the field? What percentage of games does this occur in? Are you attempting to use anecdotal information as some kind of factual proof of a larger issue? What is that issue?

Comment

I hate Capt’s practices. Nothing good comes from them and heaven forbid someone gets injured without proper supervision. Who cares if a HS coach coaches the kids out of season. The rule is in place to protect lazy coaches who don’t want to actually do anything.
        Don't you think those interested in fair competition during the season care about who coaches players out of season?

Do you know what the average coaching stipend for a high school coach is for a year? Do you realize the absurd amount of hours required to be put in by a high school coach, just in the off season alone?

Aren't the soccer boosters in your town competent enough to provide the activities and events needed in the summer to ensure that there is no need for captains practices in the first place?

Comment

The CIAC has rules that make little to no sense. It's an organization run by non, or never were, athletes, operating under the assumption that the public doesn't know how messed up they are. They are managing sports and people as if it's 1940. How many true professionals, in terms of mental health, sports science, and coaching, work for the CIAC?

Comment

I hate Capt’s practices. Nothing good comes from them and heaven forbid someone gets injured without proper supervision. Who cares if a HS coach coaches the kids out of season. The rule is in place to protect lazy coaches who don’t want to actually do anything.
            Kids get hurt at practices run by the coach.

Captain practices are fine. Informal and run by the kids. One of the few times kids get to play in a non structured environment

The rule is in place to protect against coaches overworking players out of season. It only seems strange in soccer because it’s the summer. If it was a spring sport you would think twice.

Comment

If it's non-mandatory, why are you bitching about it? Is there a violation when the girls coach works with the boys team in the summer?

Have you asked why your school has to use Pay to Play? What alternative do you suggest to avoid this outcome?

Do you want you athletic department and the state to force the 3-Man system into place? At all levels (V, JV and FR)? Who has to bear the brunt of the extra cost for officials? Do we put that on the already strained high school budgets? Or do we cope with it by adopting Pay to Play? Have you researched the general availability of officials at 3:45 on a weekday afternoon? Are there enough available to cover the demand? What is your proposed solution to the referee issues at the high school level?

Have you ever read the rationale used by the CIAC to adopt the 40% qualification threshhold? Do you disagree with this philosophy? Why? Or have you just taken up issue with it being at 40% and never tried to understand why?

Can you tell me exactly what make soccer better in Connecticut by letting athletes play both club and school soccer at the same time? How does it improve the game and the situation for the players themselves?

Exactly how many documented instances do we have in Connecticut of soccer parents physically attacking coaches? What percentage of games does this occur in? In the cases where this has happened, has there been sufficient response from the CIAC and the justice system? Are you attempting to use anecdotal information as some kind of factual proof of a larger issue? What is that issue?

Exactly how many documented instances do we have in Connecticut of racism in the stands that is directed at the players on the field? What percentage of games does this occur in? Are you attempting to use anecdotal information as some kind of factual proof of a larger issue? What is that issue?
              Lighten up Francis. No need for point counterpoint

I was merely educating our new arrival of the intricacies of CIAC soccer. I am well aware of the rules and reasons behind them. However they will be a shock to our Illinois friend.

As it relates to the documented case of fans physically attacking ir verbally coaches and racism look no farther than last year in the FCIAC and Wilton and STJs

Comment

Don't you think those interested in fair competition during the season care about who coaches players out of season?

Do you know what the average coaching stipend for a high school coach is for a year? Do you realize the absurd amount of hours required to be put in by a high school coach, just in the off season alone?

Aren't the soccer boosters in your town competent enough to provide the activities and events needed in the summer to ensure that there is no need for captains practices in the first place?
                Our booster clubs organize summer practices that are run by outside of school coaches. Of course the HS coach has input on who is hired, but the fees go to pay for those coaches and the little bit left over goes to the booster club bills. It isn't mandatory, but of course you're pretty much expected to be there at least some of the time. The pre-season training camp the 4-5 days before tryouts really is "mandatory." It sucks that everyone has to pay, but coaches do cost money and I'd rather have an adult running it than some HS kids.

Comment

Our booster clubs organize summer practices that are run by outside of school coaches. Of course the HS coach has input on who is hired, but the fees go to pay for those coaches and the little bit left over goes to the booster club bills. It isn't mandatory, but of course you're pretty much expected to be there at least some of the time. The pre-season training camp the 4-5 days before tryouts really is "mandatory." It sucks that everyone has to pay, but coaches do cost money and I'd rather have an adult running it than some HS kids.
                  most high schools I know of have some really crappy summer league coaches. Worse than the regular coach, at least in our conference. These coaches aren't very good. We don't see the value of playing in the summer with a coach that doesn't understand the simplicity of the game. I saw a kid get yelled at for running a short corner. Another kid taken out of game for a pass to keeper. Oy vey these people suck

Comment

most high schools I know of have some really crappy summer league coaches. Worse than the regular coach, at least in our conference. These coaches aren't very good. We don't see the value of playing in the summer with a coach that doesn't understand the simplicity of the game. I saw a kid get yelled at for running a short corner. Another kid taken out of game for a pass to keeper. Oy vey these people suck
                    Let the kids run it. To your point it's no good when thes conflicting opinion had to play. That's one of the issue with soccer everything needs a coach. Play pick up soccer. Try new things without coaches yelling or yanking kids off the field. Have some fun

Comment

Our HS coaches do nothing in the off season and do the bare minimum in season , teachers looking to make a couple extra grand.

Comment

OP here - the ones ours has are fine. Not great but not awful. It's mostly just scrimmaging anyway. The actual head coaches watch and give the summer coaches feedback on what they want. It's kind of comical really but they're just using a loophole in the regs. When the teams try to have actual "captain's practices" at other times usually 5 players show up.

Comment

OP here - the ones ours has are fine. Not great but not awful. It's mostly just scrimmaging anyway. The actual head coaches watch and give the summer coaches feedback on what they want. It's kind of comical really but they're just using a loophole in the regs. When the teams try to have actual "captain's practices" at other times usually 5 players show up.
                          That's US soccer culture for you ...

- Players need to have someone coaching.
                          - Arcane rules or bureaucracy
                          - Coach doesn't do anything but scrimmage.
                          - Players aren't self motivated to practice amongst themselves

Comment

I'm all for captains practices in the summer as well but wouldn't complain if our HS coach wanted to be more involved. They are only making a couple grand for a few months of work which comes out to about $10-$15 an hour. I'd rather have this level over being over anxiousness versus the club coach which you never hear from or see as soon as the last check clears. Yeah, our high school coach isn't God's gift to soccer but he's a good guy who the boys love playing for and actually cares about them more than just players. I'll take that all day every day.

Comment

I'm all for captains practices in the summer as well but wouldn't complain if our HS coach wanted to be more involved. They are only making a couple grand for a few months of work which comes out to about $10-$15 an hour. I'd rather have this level over being over anxiousness versus the club coach which you never hear from or see as soon as the last check clears. Yeah, our high school coach isn't God's gift to soccer but he's a good guy who the boys love playing for and actually cares about them more than just players. I'll take that all day every day.
                              ours is a jerk - the less time spent with him the better

Comment

It's not a matter of wanting to be involved. He can't be involved as the regulations stand now

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X