Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS coaches coaching out of season...

When will the stupid rule about not being able to work with kids outside of high school season come to an end? Connecticut is one of a handful of states that this happens...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When will the stupid rule about not being able to work with kids outside of high school season come to an end? Connecticut is one of a handful of states that this happens...
    On August 23rd

Comment

great, thanks. but when will the rule go away completely?

Comment

As the parent of three HS soccer athletes now moved on to college...I like the rule. And I like the No Club In Season Rule that is also routinely bashed here.

Both serve the same altruistic purposes: removing pressure from the athletes that might be placed there by ADULTS who derive their living from coaching soccer. It's not to hard to predict that some of the HS coaches would DEMAND their players participate in off season workouts to the detriment of other sports/activities. Similarly, it's real easy to predict club coaches demanding weekend/weekday practices during the HS season in order for a player to keep their spot/standing on a team.

Since many HS coaches are ALSO club coaches, the opportunity to maliciously leverage a teenager into excessive sessions is quite apparent.

I hope CT never gets rid of either rule.

Comment

On August 23rd
          Presumably your kid played club soccer until mid June. Coaches are allowed to work with the kids during the summer but there cannot be a ball involved (ie fitness)

Have he/she play some pick up games and kick the ball around in the yard. Having a few weeks off in the summer that doesn't involve organized soccer is a welcome break for most.

Comment

Probabl Sorry but I think it's a good rule. Some HS coaches hold too much power over their players. The more separation the better. I know many of them are out there watching "captain's practices" but they're still not coaching. It takes some of the pressure of kids and also lets new/old players get to know each other better without a coach yelling at them all the time like ours does :)

Comment

we have the world's worst high school coach. I'm happy he doesn't get more time with our kids. We also have a terrible AD and principal who make some very bad decisions in all our sports. Thankful we don't have to see his pompous, no nothing arse more often

Comment

As the parent of three HS soccer athletes now moved on to college...I like the rule. And I like the No Club In Season Rule that is also routinely bashed here.

Both serve the same altruistic purposes: removing pressure from the athletes that might be placed there by ADULTS who derive their living from coaching soccer. It's not to hard to predict that some of the HS coaches would DEMAND their players participate in off season workouts to the detriment of other sports/activities. Similarly, it's real easy to predict club coaches demanding weekend/weekday practices during the HS season in order for a player to keep their spot/standing on a team.

Since many HS coaches are ALSO club coaches, the opportunity to maliciously leverage a teenager into excessive sessions is quite apparent.

I hope CT never gets rid of either rule.
                I totally agree but I think the OP was talking about the rule that HS coaches can't have practices under their watch until just before school starts (8/23 this year). That's where the ruse of "captain's practices" come in, or they pay some flunkie coach to run it. That also is a good thing, in addition to the club restrictions. These guys do enough power tripping as it is. The less say they have over HS players the better.

Comment

Presumably your kid played club soccer until mid June. Coaches are allowed to work with the kids during the summer but there cannot be a ball involved (ie fitness)

Have he/she play some pick up games and kick the ball around in the yard. Having a few weeks off in the summer that doesn't involve organized soccer is a welcome break for most.
                  Makes complete sense. No ball in a soccer practice. What a joke the CIAC (and the NCAA for that matter) is.

Comment

...............the opportunity to maliciously leverage a teenager into excessive sessions is quite apparent.
                    Some high school coaches run 2+ hour after school sessions. If that isn't a red flag for both physical and mental health I don't know what is.

Comment

I totally agree but I think the OP was talking about the rule that HS coaches can't have practices under their watch until just before school starts (8/23 this year). That's where the ruse of "captain's practices" come in, or they pay some flunkie coach to run it. That also is a good thing, in addition to the club restrictions. These guys do enough power tripping as it is. The less say they have over HS players the better.
                      Yea, I was referring to that. The kids get together and are lucky to have some structure from some returning college players for the summer, but the coach is afraid to be anywhere near the field when balls are out. It's not that they don't like him or anything like that. I just found it odd that he just bolted and was later informed by some other parents that they can't have anything to do with the kids. I certainly don't want him to dictate what she does over the summer, but felt it was a bit much to keep them away completely.

Comment

Some high school coaches run 2+ hour after school sessions. If that isn't a red flag for both physical and mental health I don't know what is.
                        sounds like a crap coach and un-attentive AD

Comment

Yea, I was referring to that. The kids get together and are lucky to have some structure from some returning college players for the summer, but the coach is afraid to be anywhere near the field when balls are out. It's not that they don't like him or anything like that. I just found it odd that he just bolted and was later informed by some other parents that they can't have anything to do with the kids. I certainly don't want him to dictate what she does over the summer, but felt it was a bit much to keep them away completely.
                          It has been a long standing CIAC rule. Coaches have found ways around it and generally do try to avoid getting "caught". I forget what the punishment is but I recall it being substantial. I think it's around good rule.

Comment

sounds like a crap coach and un-attentive AD
                            Which describes every high school program in the state

Comment

Rookie. It's been on the books forever. I actually think it's a great thing for the kids to be practicing amongst themselves. Unstructured play is a positive thing

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X