Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing ball out of back

Anybody watching Arsenal putting themselves under tremendous pressure by constantly trying to have keeper and defenders play out of the back? Even the Arsenal supporters cheered a proper clearance.
    This tactic is a flash in the pan by Guardiola attempting to make a name for himself as he has the best players to do it
    And now we have all the u10s lining up like a German wolfpack at mid field to steal any wayward pass they can.
    Give me 3 hard working forwards and 1 mid and I’ll never let you get the ball out of the back.
    What a stupid tactic...especially for American soccer

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Anybody watching Arsenal putting themselves under tremendous pressure by constantly trying to have keeper and defenders play out of the back? Even the Arsenal supporters cheered a proper clearance.
    This tactic is a flash in the pan by Guardiola attempting to make a name for himself as he has the best players to do it
    And now we have all the u10s lining up like a German wolfpack at mid field to steal any wayward pass they can.
    Give me 3 hard working forwards and 1 mid and I’ll never let you get the ball out of the back.
    Typical American soccer dad perspective. We're doomed.

Comment

Long ball over the top & skip the midfield. Works like a charm every time.

Comment

Long ball over the top & skip the midfield. Works like a charm every time.
        Boot it! !!!

Comment

Boot it! !!!
          Shoot! Shoot!!!

Comment

Your knowledge the game is obviously lacking. It isn't a "flash in the pan" tactic. It's how the game has been played for as long as its been played.

Comment

The problem is that 99% of the American soccer teams don't the skills, spacing, patience, confidence on the ball or understanding of the game to make this work.

I agree the safer play is to get the ball out of your own end at any cost, because of stupid decision making in the midfield. They play it back but don't really understand when or why to do it.

Also in amateur soccer in the US the gap in athleticism can be huge from player to player. Speed and size is not homogenous. In the pros it is much closer. Individual players cannot dominate physically nearly as much at the higher levels. At U10 little Billy can get dominated 1/1 by a more gifted, stronger, faster and tougher player.

Comment

what if older kids $H*Tshow smoking watches blow$KITune carTUNE$hipLOWS TUNIChears?!

what if BARITONE BASS shover SHOVELumps of COALinks READINGhost FISHowlENDrums?!

what if smoking tuba blow$HIPark FLUTE$hip CLARINET$hop banged$HIPlum RIPLEY$hock?!

TUBAred$HIP BLUE$hop smoking FOGhat CAT$niplOWhen house CATShip HAWG$tomp ashe.

Comment

Makes sense. Compare a goalie pushing 40 years old who's never been known for his footskills as an example of why you shouldn't play out of the back.

It's like watching Tim Tebow throw and saying quarterbacks should only hand off.....

Comment

I've always found the MLS goal keeper statistics on this topic rather interesting. If you click on any particular game from the MLS homepage, then chose Boxscore and scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see a field. You can choose the keeper from either team and show their distribution, successful v. unsuccessful, passes. In the majority of games, you'll see many more red arrows (unsuccessful passes) going from the goalie past midfield than green arrows. The last Houston game is a great example, out of 11 passes beyond midfield, 9 were unsuccessful. Sure, a good keeper clearance can relieve pressure for a moment, but the majority of the time, it's not helping his team attack, rather just giving his team a little time before it comes back at them again. Not a great strategy IMO. Look at Tim Howard's last game, played the ball out of the back every time except for two balls (one successful, one not). That's how a quality keeper plays.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      I've always found the MLS goal keeper statistics on this topic rather interesting. If you click on any particular game from the MLS homepage, then chose Boxscore and scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see a field. You can choose the keeper from either team and show their distribution, successful v. unsuccessful, passes. In the majority of games, you'll see many more red arrows (unsuccessful passes) going from the goalie past midfield than green arrows. The last Houston game is a great example, out of 11 passes beyond midfield, 9 were unsuccessful. Sure, a good keeper clearance can relieve pressure for a moment, but the majority of the time, it's not helping his team attack, rather just giving his team a little time before it comes back at them again. Not a great strategy IMO. Look at Tim Howard's last game, played the ball out of the back every time except for two balls (one successful, one not). That's how a quality keeper plays.
                      Thank you for this post. The advocates for the boot drive me nuts.

Comment

Your knowledge the game is obviously lacking. It isn't a "flash in the pan" tactic. It's how the game has been played for as long as its been played.
                        By whom?
                        They weren’t winners.
                        Did you watch match?

Comment

Typical American soccer dad perspective. We're doomed.
                          Did you watch match?

Comment

By whom?
                            They weren’t winners.
                            Did you watch match?
                            I watched City, a team designed to play out of the back and the personnel to match run Arsenal ragged.

I watched Arsenal, a team changing tactics and not fully staffed to play out of the back have a series of problems.

What game did you watch?

Comment

Troll alert. Or moron alert at the very least. Don't feed either.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X