Japan u20 beat USA u20 in women’s world cup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see it in ODP, ECNL, DA, etc. Selection of players heavy in athleticism and lower soccer IQ and technical skill. It's what colleges want and it seems, what the NT want. I can tell you my D is not the fastest forward on the field, but she scores goals and creates chances because she had to learn to not just rely on size/speed/physicality. That is part of the game, but it is only one facet, and unfortunately, coaches would rather take the size/athleticism because "you can't teach it".

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Lmao...... The reason we are where we are is the influence of the English long ball. The possession game has only been embraced the last 10 years or so. Why do you think the English has such a poor showing at WC until this year.
      Totally agree, I think we need way more possession not less. Our backline (and to be fair I did not see this game) typically just kicks the ball as far as they can downfield with no patience. If a Midfielder gets the ball, they turn and kick it as far as they can and don't bother working the ball up the field. When we change this we'll be able to take advantage of our athletic advantages all over the field. But the English coaches are everywhere in the US and the longball style is favored.

Comment

I see it in ODP, ECNL, DA, etc. Selection of players heavy in athleticism and lower soccer IQ and technical skill. It's what colleges want and it seems, what the NT want. I can tell you my D is not the fastest forward on the field, but she scores goals and creates chances because she had to learn to not just rely on size/speed/physicality. That is part of the game, but it is only one facet, and unfortunately, coaches would rather take the size/athleticism because "you can't teach it".
        Agree, but we need to teach the technical aspect to our athletic types and that will give us an advantage on the field. You can have both but few coaches have the patience to teach it and DEMAND it from their players.

Comment

Leicester, Mass became a sister city due to England club success. More folks followed that year than in any other when the favorites win. Even fake evening news reported
          Care to share?
          Nobody other than City fans give a rats ass if they win...maybe Lebron, since he likes to buy his way to the top as well.

So a tiny town with the same name followed them. This is news? Yes, America loves the underdog. Where are all those fans after they sunk to reality, sold off their best players and canned their coach because their style stinks?

Care to share what?

Can't understand what your last statement even means.

Comment

Lmao...... The reason we are where we are is the influence of the English long ball. The possession game has only been embraced the last 10 years or so. Why do you think the English has such a poor showing at WC until this year.
            What, so it’ll take 100 years to be successful?
            This is not splitting the atom.

But, until you breed our dominant gene of hand/eye out and replace with eye/foot dominance, I can understand our slowness in grasping the concept.
            But until then, send the ball to Wambauch. Big forwards know what to do.

And England played best when the ball went wide and then swung into the box.

Comment

"Kick it kick it kick it!!!"

"Get it get it get it!!"

"Good boy! Who wants a treat?"

Comment

So a tiny town with the same name followed them. This is news? Yes, America loves the underdog. Where are all those fans after they sunk to reality, sold off their best players and canned their coach because their style stinks?

Care to share what?

Can't understand what your last statement even means.
                They’re all following City now, mate.
                Fair weather ahead; just like you Yanks
                But it did help the ratings and hopefully attract a few new supporters to the game

Comment

They’re all following City now, mate.
                  Fair weather ahead; just like you Yanks
                  But it did help the ratings and hopefully attract a few new supporters to the game
                  Right, the lads like to root for the underdog. I hear nobody else talking about Leicester, just a pimple in the game. But, keep on preaching a game of high-stakes 'fetch'.

Just let me know what club that is ahead of time so we can avoid it, Chap.

Comment

Totally agree, I think we need way more possession not less. Our backline (and to be fair I did not see this game) typically just kicks the ball as far as they can downfield with no patience. If a Midfielder gets the ball, they turn and kick it as far as they can and don't bother working the ball up the field. When we change this we'll be able to take advantage of our athletic advantages all over the field. But the English coaches are everywhere in the US and the longball style is favored.
                    I've got a kid on the team and know for a fact that the NT espouses possession and playing out of the back. That is not the actual problem. The problem is kids not being able to play at the same speed as kids from other countries and panicking with the ball. That is more a function of the club coaches than the YNT ones. It starts with guys like JD ingraining their direct style of play into the kids from the early ages and then it gets exacerbated by the extremely low level of play in what are supposed to be our top level youth leagues. If you want to be critical then point the finger where it belongs which is at the club level. You and your coaching peers are the ones that are actually failing, not the federation. They can only work with what they get from the clubs.

Comment

Hard to work on your skills when you've got launchers and chasers out there....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        I've got a kid on the team and know for a fact that the NT espouses possession and playing out of the back. That is not the actual problem. The problem is kids not being able to play at the same speed as kids from other countries and panicking with the ball. That is more a function of the club coaches than the YNT ones. It starts with guys like JD ingraining their direct style of play into the kids from the early ages and then it gets exacerbated by the extremely low level of play in what are supposed to be our top level youth leagues. If you want to be critical then point the finger where it belongs which is at the club level. You and your coaching peers are the ones that are actually failing, not the federation. They can only work with what they get from the clubs.
                        Is this a joke? JD doesn't teach direct. He trains technical players. Everyone who has been in club soccer for a long time knows that. My daughter's team kicked to the big forward every time. That is why they led the DA in goals and lost when it mattered. And you can accuse me of being a troll, but I am not, and I am speaking truth to garbage posts like this.

Comment

They only preach it because it is the “in” thing.
                          Few more losses or struggles and it’ll be back to direct play and wins.

Comment

Is this a joke? JD doesn't teach direct. He trains technical players. Everyone who has been in club soccer for a long time knows that. My daughter's team kicked to the big forward every time. That is why they led the DA in goals and lost when it mattered. And you can accuse me of being a troll, but I am not, and I am speaking truth to garbage posts like this.
                            I am not as angry as this poster, but I would have to agree with this. Same style of play on my daughter's DA team - direct to a fast forward. BBA teaches direct, at least as far as I have seen.

Comment

I am not as angry as this poster, but I would have to agree with this. Same style of play on my daughter's DA team - direct to a fast forward. BBA teaches direct, at least as far as I have seen.
                              You both are basically making the other poster's point. The problem lies at the club level with coaches like each of your daughter's. And as far as JD, he is no where near the technical coach the first poster claims. He is the poster child for the back line bashing it up top and bypassing the midfield which is exactly why he has always had trouble winning on big stages. It's way to simplistic and easy to defend. He's all hype and no substance.

Comment

You both are basically making the other poster's point. The problem lies at the club level with coaches like each of your daughter's. And as far as JD, he is no where near the technical coach the first poster claims. He is the poster child for the back line bashing it up top and bypassing the midfield which is exactly why he has always had trouble winning on big stages. It's way to simplistic and easy to defend. He's all hype and no substance.
                                I would have to agree to disagree. Granted, my daughter has only played against his teams, but the players that I have seen from that club are very technical, and they didn't bypass the midfield when she played them. If you looked at the 00/99 and 01/02 BBA DA teams, you will know what I am talking about. There are definitely technical players on both those teams, but they both played very direct.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X