Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club Soccer 2004 Birth Year/Freshmen HS?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Soccer 2004 Birth Year/Freshmen HS?

What is the general policy among HS coaches regarding allowing their 2004 birth year freshman to participate in "u15" Fall season club soccer? If the players abide by MIAA rules, should the coaches ban weekend games with their clubs? Given the school year to birth year change this could create some real "numbers" issues for clubs.

So Whats the problem?
    she can play HS and make club games on Sun
    Don't ask don't tell

And don't complain when she gets injured at end of season

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What is the general policy among HS coaches regarding allowing their 2004 birth year freshman to participate in "u15" Fall season club soccer? If the players abide by MIAA rules, should the coaches ban weekend games with their clubs? Given the school year to birth year change this could create some real "numbers" issues for clubs.
      That's the club's problem, not your kid's. There's a reason there are restrictions - burn out is a valid issue. Even if your kid is a varsity benchwarmer she's still practicing multiple days a week. If she's JV she's playing and practicing 5-6 days a week. Her priority should be school work, HS team, adjusting to HS etc. Club soccer can wait until November.

Comment

That's the club's problem, not your kid's. There's a reason there are restrictions - burn out is a valid issue. Even if your kid is a varsity benchwarmer she's still practicing multiple days a week. If she's JV she's playing and practicing 5-6 days a week. Her priority should be school work, HS team, adjusting to HS etc. Club soccer can wait until November.
        Love how some fools always have to push their personal values onto others. What your priority should be is to mind your own business. Let the kid and their family decide what’s most important. Presumably you did with yours.

Comment

Love how some fools always have to push their personal values onto others. What your priority should be is to mind your own business. Let the kid and their family decide what’s most important. Presumably you did with yours.
          Agrred. Do one or the other but push it onto others

Comment

OP here. Asking for opinions, so feel free to “push” yours!

Comment

If you think it's 's great idea to exhaust your kid, increase the risk of injury and give her little time for academic work and a social life, that's your opinion

Comment

Seems like you are familiar with MIAA bona Fide player rule. Can't miss ANY team practice or game. HS coaches have zero leeway, so you can't expect coach to understand. As other poster said "Dont ask Don't tell".

You should take it up with Club coach who can be reasonable and should want to keep her healthy. Communicate with club coach regarding weekly activity level, and be prepared to overrule your D. She will likely insist she is fine to play on Sunday. Just one club game can result in 13 days without rest.

Comment

Seems like you are familiar with MIAA bona Fide player rule. Can't miss ANY team practice or game. HS coaches have zero leeway, so you can't expect coach to understand. As other poster said "Dont ask Don't tell".

You should take it up with Club coach who can be reasonable and should want to keep her healthy. Communicate with club coach regarding weekly activity level, and be prepared to overrule your D. She will likely insist she is fine to play on Sunday. Just one club game can result in 13 days without rest.
                  ^ exactly why it's a bad idea

Comment

So you are saying playing club soccer while playing high school soccer is an option in Massachusetts? I do not have a kid in high school so I do not know for sure but I was under the impression the rule in Connecticut was that any high school kids do not have the option to play. Strange that two adjoining states would play by two totally different set of rules but I guess anything is possible.

Comment

So you are saying playing club soccer while playing high school soccer is an option in Massachusetts? I do not have a kid in high school so I do not know for sure but I was under the impression the rule in Connecticut was that any high school kids do not have the option to play. Strange that two adjoining states would play by two totally different set of rules but I guess anything is possible.
                      I'm pretty sure on the boys side that the MIAA doesn't allow them to play club during the high school season. Can't imagine why it would be any different fir girls.

Comment

I'm pretty sure on the boys side that the MIAA doesn't allow them to play club during the high school season. Can't imagine why it would be any different fir girls.
                        MIAA doesn't forbid club soccer (either boys or girls) but you can't skip a high school event (practice or game) for a club event. You are allowed to apply for one waiver, but you need the support of your AD and from what I've heard not all are accommodating. If you don't have the waiver and are caught the punishment for the 1st offense is missing games equal to 25% of the season.

Comment

CT has an outright ban. Other states have differing forms of restrictions like MA does. For the most part clubs avoid play or limit it when HS is in season. It's too much.

Comment

CT has an outright ban. Other states have differing forms of restrictions like MA does. For the most part clubs avoid play or limit it when HS is in season. It's too much.
                            I can see cases where it could be too much, but also cases where it could work well for the kid. Obviously, abiding by the MIAA rules is a must. But what if a player does not get significant playing time on her HS team, say as a freshman or even an upperclassman? Those HS game days are not very taxing if you are not a starter. Getting that Sunday game in with the club could be great developmentally. Think about those HS coaches who (acurately) say playing time is at their sole discretion because they need results to keep their jobs? OK—what if that leaves my kid on the bench, falling farther behind the kids who get to play? I don’t think it’s is “one size fits all” answer.

Comment

I can see cases where it could be too much, but also cases where it could work well for the kid. Obviously, abiding by the MIAA rules is a must. But what if a player does not get significant playing time on her HS team, say as a freshman or even an upperclassman? Those HS game days are not very taxing if you are not a starter. Getting that Sunday game in with the club could be great developmentally. Think about those HS coaches who (acurately) say playing time is at their sole discretion because they need results to keep their jobs? OK—what if that leaves my kid on the bench, falling farther behind the kids who get to play? I don’t think it’s is “one size fits all” answer.
                              Rules are the rules and they work for most players. There will always be exceptions and you can't please everyone. Freshmen who make Varsity but never play should ask to play JV at least some of the time. If your kid isn't getting much PT as a upperclassman then getting in a club game is the least of your worries.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X