Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How much did you pay for the whole year?
    Just wondering.
    Why is what I pay of any interest to you?
    Just wondering.

Comment

From the New England Soccer Journal:

CLUB
      Standout teams, players from 2017-18 New England club soccer scene
      By Jonathan SigalAugust 2, 2018

This GPS MA Elite team won the U-16 ENPL title. (courtesy photo)
      After shrugging off the high school cobwebs at Thanksgiving tournaments, the 2017-18 club soccer season has come to an end in New England. Eight months full of weekend tournaments and late-night practices are in the book.

The conclusion is marked by national playoffs for Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) and National Premier League (NPL) teams. Held around the country, these tournaments crowned national champions and brought about some personal awards.

To keep track of it all, New England Soccer Journal compiled a year-end wrap up of club soccer in New England, which included two national titles, both from Massachusetts-based clubs. Because the Development Academy, put on by U.S. Soccer, operates on a different schedule and scale than the ECNL and NPL, we’ve done separate recaps for their 2017-18 seasons.

Girls ECNL
      New England-based players nearly completed a clean sweep in player of the year awards for the ECNL’s Northeast Conference, taking home three of four honors.

The U-16 nod went to Peyton McNamara (Norwalk, Conn.), a center mid for Connecticut FC who has been called up to the U-16 national team and is committed to Ohio State. Then, at the U-17 level, the award went to FC Stars midfielder Allie Winstanley (Concord, Mass.), who committed early on to Dartmouth and stars in prep soccer at Noble and Greenough. Lastly, the U-18 award went to FC Boston striker Brittany Raphino (Randolph, Mass.), a Brown commit and Thayer Academy standout.

Only one team from New England — the U-14s from FC Stars — made the ECNL national finals. They ultimately fell 2-1 to Mountain View Los Altos Soccer Club (California).

Elite National Premier League
      In a partnership between U.S. Club Soccer and the ECNL, the ENPL finals made their debut. Various clubs from the NPL (locally the New England Premiership) and first-year boys ECNL qualified, with playoffs held in Lancaster, Mass., and nationals held in Aurora, Colo.

The U-13 and U-19 divisions operated on a different schedule, though presented a memorable summer for NEFC (Massachusetts). The U-19 team — coached by Boston College men’s coach Ed Kelly and sending six players onto Division 1 college soccer — made the national final, losing 3-1 to Ohio Premier Soccer Club. NEFC’s U-13 team, a division in which nationals aren’t held, won ENPL Eastern Playoffs 2-1 over SUSA FC, an academy program from Long Island, N.Y.

Other impressive summers came for a pair of NEP teams from Massachusetts. The U-16 GPA MA Elite Red team, coached by Andy Prosser, won nationals 2-1 over Penn Fusion Soccer Academy (Pennsylvania). They also showed well during 2017-18 at prestigious college showcase events, winning the Potomac Memorial Day and making the finals of the Jefferson Memorial Cup in March. Meanwhile, Valeo FC’s U-14s, coached by UMass Boston’s Jake Beverlin, made the national semifinals, losing out 3-1 to GPS Florida West.

One Boys ECNL note: In the league’s inaugural season, none of the local clubs — Connecticut FC, FSA FC, Boston Bolts and FC Stars — made the ENPL finals.
      So none of the local Boys ECNL teams even make the national playoffs vs the NPL teams while the GPS team from New England NPL defeats all of the National Boys ECNL teams that do make the playoffs? Does not sound like the Boys ECNL league is worth all that travel.

Comment

(Continuing on from the New England Soccer Journal)

Girls National Premier League
        The girls NPL finals, held in Aurora, Colo., featured seven teams from the New England Premiership. Quite remarkably, every squad reached at least the semifinals, reinforcing the growth of club soccer in the region. Further, four of the seven came from South Shore Select, a Hingham, Mass.-based club led by the likes of Liz Lima and Alison Foley, the head women’s coach at Boston College.

Of those seven squads, just one team — the South Shore Selects U-17s — took home the title, beating fellow Massachusetts team FC Stars, 2-1.

Three others made the finals — South Shore Select U-13s, Seacoast United U-14s and GPS Massachusetts U-16s — but lost. The former two fell to Southern Soccer Academy (Georgia) teams, while the latter lost to a Player Development Academy (New Jersey) team.

Local semifinalists included South Shore Select’s U-15 team and FC USA’s U-16 team.
        I think this right here answers the OP trolling post. G04 NEFC South’s win in the second division doesn’t even get a mention. Premier division is not really a NPL National Championship. Still a great accomplishment and very good team. Enjoy the memories. That’s what it’s all about!

Comment

I think this right here answers the OP trolling post. G04 NEFC South’s win in the second division doesn’t even get a mention. Premier division is not really a NPL National Championship. Still a great accomplishment and very good team. Enjoy the memories. That’s what it’s all about!
          The post you quoted was for the NPL Finals, not the Cup Finals. I got the impression the NPL Finals were more competitive. NEFC was not at the NPL Finals representing New England NPL.

Comment

The post you quoted was for the NPL Finals, not the Cup Finals. I got the impression the NPL Finals were more competitive. NEFC was not at the NPL Finals representing New England NPL.
            So in the Cup Finals, winning teams from the State Cup tournaments are competing, right (where I believe some states combine for a regional tournament)? Are the NPL finals comprised of the teams topping their NPL league at the end of the season, or do they have their own separate tournament/playoffs? My kid is still U12, so just wondering how this works for next year.

Comment

So in the Cup Finals, winning teams from the State Cup tournaments are competing, right (where I believe some states combine for a regional tournament)? Are the NPL finals comprised of the teams topping their NPL league at the end of the season, or do they have their own separate tournament/playoffs? My kid is still U12, so just wondering how this works for next year.
              Some Regions/States sent teams to a Regional tournament before going to the National tournament. I believe all the States in Region 1 were eligible to send their State Cup winners right to the National tournament.

The NPL participants were decided by taking the top teams from each of the NPL leagues. They competed internally, and the winners went to the National tournament. So, for example, the top 2 teams in the New England NPL 'A' competed against the top 2 teams in New England NPL 'B'. The winner advanced to the Nationals. In Northeast NPL, it was similar but I'm a little sketchy on how many teams competed in the Northeast tournament before advancing to the National tournament.

I will say, good for you on looking to clarify this now. Some teams won and had no idea they were going to Colorado. That surprise didn't go over well, and so many had plans/declined for other reasons teams didn't go.

I believe whenever a team won both, they chose the NPL tournament because back-to-back trips to Colorado are unhealthy, expensive, and logistically challenging.

Comment

Some Regions/States sent teams to a Regional tournament before going to the National tournament. I believe all the States in Region 1 were eligible to send their State Cup winners right to the National tournament.

The NPL participants were decided by taking the top teams from each of the NPL leagues. They competed internally, and the winners went to the National tournament. So, for example, the top 2 teams in the New England NPL 'A' competed against the top 2 teams in New England NPL 'B'. The winner advanced to the Nationals. In Northeast NPL, it was similar but I'm a little sketchy on how many teams competed in the Northeast tournament before advancing to the National tournament.

I will say, good for you on looking to clarify this now. Some teams won and had no idea they were going to Colorado. That surprise didn't go over well, and so many had plans/declined for other reasons teams didn't go.

I believe whenever a team won both, they chose the NPL tournament because back-to-back trips to Colorado are unhealthy, expensive, and logistically challenging.
                Colorado-unhealthy?
                Maybe if a little too much pot is smoked.

Comment

Colorado-unhealthy?
                  Maybe if a little too much pot is smoked.
                  Spending 5 days there, coming back for 2, then spending 5 more there would be unhealthy, yes.

Comment

Each NPL league has its own rules about who gets to advance to the NPL Finals. Some are based solely on league placement after the regular season, some have league playoffs in May/June to decide a league champion. I will add that some leagues have taken different approaches year to year (some years holding playoffs, some years not), but it is decided before the league starts.

On the boys side (at least this year) the top two teams from each of the top NPL leagues in the US qualified for playoffs with the top two teams from each of the Boys ECNL leagues for one consolidated national playoff (called the "ENPL Playoffs) which led to a single national champion.

Comment

Spending 5 days there, coming back for 2, then spending 5 more there would be unhealthy, yes.
                      You’re right, by jove.
                      Altitude sickness, perhaps.
                      It is high there...
                      Just stay the 2 days and try the edibles.
                      You can let us know how legal pot is working out. Kinda like a congressional junket.

Comment

Sounds like a job.

Comment

You’re right, by jove.
                          Altitude sickness, perhaps.
                          It is high there...
                          Just stay the 2 days and try the edibles.
                          You can let us know how legal pot is working out. Kinda like a congressional junket.
                          It's not what I pictured when I heard "Colorado" that's for sure. It's flat, but the elevation is there. Hard to say how much if factored in, if at all, for players. But, it's also friggin' HOT. Mid-upper 90's every day and big sun. No humidity, so from an uncomfortable perspective than this summer it probably washed out. We were wiped out after 5 days of soccer, couldn't imagine going back a few days later.

Dispensaries are everywhere. Edi's were a savior to be sure....

Comment

Was like zombie land with all the beggers and homeless .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X