Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality Check

Parents-there is but one goal ( we all know it ) assuming you shell out the big bucks to have your kid play at the elite club level (ECNL or DA) .. it is to provide the platform for the next level which in most cases for players is playing in college. At some point, it becomes clear (around age 14) where a player is going to land ( D1, 2 or 3) or whether they make it to the next level at all. Helpful hint- Clubs generally do not help place players, get them recruited or by way of team reputation give boost to a players resume so no need to pander to the coach or club owners or crow about records. Elite clubs do however provide playing platform and exposure ( and hopefully continued development) for players. Arguments abound on this site about who has the best platform for next level playing. A look at any year end placements will factually speak to whose platform provides most opportunities. At the end of the day however it is the player who is recruited not the club. If the player lacks attributes that schools recruit for, no measure of those qualities so many parents/players take false stock in ( my kid is a starter - they play whole game- they score all goals - they spend most time on ball) will dictate a direct result of recruitment. A player who is recruited will in fact be - developmentally sound, unselfish, mature, versatile, have exemplary sportsmanship with a team first mentality and most importantly be the right fit ( including for player ) for the program they are recruited for.

If you think this is correct you are not involved with the CFC United program. I’ve had a daughter on ecnl and another on NPL. Both were helped by almost all the coaches. DC, MN, TP and MM have all been very helpful in the recruiting process.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      If you think this is correct you are not involved with the CFC United program. I’ve had a daughter on ecnl and another on NPL. Both were helped by almost all the coaches. DC, MN, TP and MM have all been very helpful in the recruiting process.
      FSA were completely useless and provided zero help in getting recruited -- except for those few coaches who recruit a player for their own college team, of course.

Comment

FSA were completely useless and provided zero help in getting recruited -- except for those few coaches who recruit a player for their own college team, of course.
        agreed same at OW. they are useless in the recruiting process. MC shows no effort in any part of the process.

Comment

CFC United parent- you are missing point of thread entirely- clubs do not place players. It is up to parents to provide opportunities, and model behavior and character for their children and PLAYERS to put in the time and hard work to develop and mature accordingly.

Post NOT intended to demonize a club, coach or team but rather directed to PARENTS who have a false sense of reality as to what it takes to be next level.

Kudos to you and CFC for raising/developing great kids/players who got opportunities to play next level:)

Comment

I had a daughter on CFC ECNL (all 3 years) that plays college soccer and none of those coaches listed were helpful at all. No hard feelings but you are wrong.

Comment

I had a daughter on CFC ECNL (all 3 years) that plays college soccer and none of those coaches listed were helpful at all. No hard feelings but you are wrong.
              Mine plays college soccer and FSA and its coaches really did not help. If you haven't been through the college soccer recruiting process successfully before, with an older kid, the process really is quite opaque.

Comment

Maybe it was your kid

Comment

Parents-there is but one goal ( we all know it ) assuming you shell out the big bucks to have your kid play at the elite club level (ECNL or DA) .. it is to provide the platform for the next level which in most cases for players is playing in college. At some point, it becomes clear (around age 14) where a player is going to land ( D1, 2 or 3) or whether they make it to the next level at all. Helpful hint- Clubs generally do not help place players, get them recruited or by way of team reputation give boost to a players resume so no need to pander to the coach or club owners or crow about records. Elite clubs do however provide playing platform and exposure ( and hopefully continued development) for players. Arguments abound on this site about who has the best platform for next level playing. A look at any year end placements will factually speak to whose platform provides most opportunities. At the end of the day however it is the player who is recruited not the club. If the player lacks attributes that schools recruit for, no measure of those qualities so many parents/players take false stock in ( my kid is a starter - they play whole game- they score all goals - they spend most time on ball) will dictate a direct result of recruitment. A player who is recruited will in fact be - developmentally sound, unselfish, mature, versatile, have exemplary sportsmanship with a team first mentality and most importantly be the right fit ( including for player ) for the program they are recruited for.
                  Very interesting post. This sounds like a frustrated CFC or FSA ECNL club DOC or owner that is overwhelmed with calls and emails about why their little Mia didn't get an offer after the ECNL Showcase. I actually feel for these guys. I couldn't imagine dealing with so many misguided soccer parents in 1 day. It would be enough to go on TS and post to please stop!

Comment

Doesn't matter the club - players and families do most of the heavy lifting. What you want is to make sure your club or coach is

1) steering players to the right types of programs where they're more likely to find success. Landing on a roster is one thing, getting meaningful PT and having a good career once there is another.

2) once players narrow their options and have their top picks, the coach should be on the phone with college coaches making sure the program wants tou.

Comment

Very interesting post. This sounds like a frustrated CFC or FSA ECNL club DOC or owner that is overwhelmed with calls and emails about why their little Mia didn't get an offer after the ECNL Showcase. I actually feel for these guys. I couldn't imagine dealing with so many misguided soccer parents in 1 day. It would be enough to go on TS and post to please stop!
                      Families must do their homework and be realistic. Finding a good fit isn't just about the academic piece but the soccer for too. Take a look at who is on a program's roster and their most played players. If its filled with NT players and you're just an average ECNL player? Re set your targets

Comment

Doesn't matter the club - players and families do most of the heavy lifting. What you want is to make sure your club or coach is

1) steering players to the right types of programs where they're more likely to find success. Landing on a roster is one thing, getting meaningful PT and having a good career once there is another.

2) once players narrow their options and have their top picks, the coach should be on the phone with college coaches making sure the program wants tou.
                        At FSA neither 1 nor 2 happened. Those would have been helpful. Yes, my kid plays college, but FSA didn't do anything.

Comment

At FSA neither 1 nor 2 happened. Those would have been helpful. Yes, my kid plays college, but FSA didn't do anything.
                          The above mentioned importance of parent and player homework cannot be stressed enough. But at a minimum the club should give you an idea of targets.

Comment

Maybe it was your kid
                            Don't think so, playing soccer at a top school with a reduced price tag. You must be one of the people listed or a complete jock rider.

Comment

people who think D1 2 and 3 is a true measure of level are kinda lost. So many other factors to consider, money, location, PT etc. for me, its only obvious when you see the handful of players who could go and play anywhere at a high level. For the rest, there are a multitude of factors to consider

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X