X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes to age groups

Hi TS-

I have heard from one of my son’s coaches that the calendar year age thing is going away later in 2020 and kids that have a late year birthday might be able to play with their grade again. Has anyone out there heard this?

I have a ulittle (u10) born in late November and it would be great if he could play with his friends again

let's hope. The entire thing was absolutely stupid. I just wish my kid hadn't been swept up in the mess, but maybe if they do the right thing, your kid will be spared.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      let's hope. The entire thing was absolutely stupid. I just wish my kid hadn't been swept up in the mess, but maybe if they do the right thing, your kid will be spared.
      The age change was idiotic but serves to show how misguided youth soccer organization and development are in this country.

Switching back to traditional U ages doesn't help, though. None of it does. The good players are already playing up.

Comment

The age change was idiotic but serves to show how misguided youth soccer organization and development are in this country.

Switching back to traditional U ages doesn't help, though. None of it does. The good players are already playing up.
        I'm not talking about the 1% ultra-talented. I'm talking about regular kids with regular skills who want to play with friends in their grade.

Comment

Will it go to birth year, school year, or grad class?

Comment

It’s already at birth year, so no, it won’t go to birth year.

Comment

It’s already at birth year, so no, it won’t go to birth year.
              So, school year or grad year?

How does that work...if school year what do you use as a cutoff date (they range from August to November depending on where you are)? Or grad year...what if you stay back?

Comment

So, school year or grad year?

How does that work...if school year what do you use as a cutoff date (they range from August to November depending on where you are)? Or grad year...what if you stay back?
                Most likely back to the old August-July dates.

Comment

I don’t know the talent yet of my ulittle guy. He just loves to play but plays with kids he does not know from the grade above him. My understanding is that this is going back to school year.

The whole thing is stupid. I have heard of kids that are 8th graders screwed out of playing in the fall because their team they play with was in high school. These people in charge don’t think things through at all.

Comment

Duh, not birth year. That's what it is now. It would go back to grade/school year like it was before, probably August 1st to July 31.

It is true the better players play up regardless of when they were born. US soccer has so many issues and birth year has almost nothing to do with it. But it is a turn off doe some kids amd every year thousands of players in 8th and 12rh grade born in the wrong months have to worry about where they can play. It's not worth that for the tiny fraction of players it might (? does it?) benefit

Comment

Most likely back to the old August-July dates.
                      Not every school system aligns to that cutoff

Comment

Meant to add "duh"

Comment

I don’t know the talent yet of my ulittle guy. He just loves to play but plays with kids he does not know from the grade above him. My understanding is that this is going back to school year.

The whole thing is stupid. I have heard of kids that are 8th graders screwed out of playing in the fall because their team they play with was in high school. These people in charge don’t think things through at all.
                          Yes that happens. Its kot as big a deal in CT because have a 12/31 cutodfnfor starting schoo. But the vast majority of states don't have that so a huge number of kids with Sept - Dec birthdays get hit with it.. Same with HS seniors when most of their team is already in college.

Comment

Curious to know why everyone thinks it was a bad idea? Didn’t it bring us in line with everyone else in the world that we want to emulate?

Comment

The vast majority of states do. Very few have a late cutoff like CT.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X