Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NESCAC Women's Soccer Coaches

My D is strong academically and is playing on a top club team and wants to continue with soccer in college. She is interested in NESCAC schools. Are there any thoughts/comments on players experiences with the coaches at these schools? Both positive and negative perspectives would be helpful.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My D is strong academically and is playing on a top club team and wants to continue with soccer in college. She is interested in NESCAC schools. Are there any thoughts/comments on players experiences with the coaches at these schools? Both positive and negative perspectives would be helpful.
    Get your checkbook out. It’s 75k+per year

If your kid can get in and you have the means it’s a good experience. Alternatively, if you are middle class and make under 150k (household income) they have some generous financial aid. No athletic money in D3 and the schools in the NESCAC cannot give merit money regardless of what anyone posts here.

Some of the campus settings are amazing. Colby, Bates, Bowdoin etc.

Williams is excellent and recruits kids who would otherwise be D1 players

Have your kid start to call coaches. They’ll give you an idea of what they look for and what the requirements are academically. They can help with admissions but not as much as you think.

Comment

Call the coaches or set up visits and meet them. It’s very individual and what they look for is entirely subjective

Comment

Some may say Trinity players smoke crack before games. Rumors though. Unconfirmed heresay.

Comment

We would be very interested to hear insight as well. My dd is currently being recruited by a couple of NESCACS. She really loves the schools but I’m not sure we’ll be able to afford it since we won’t qualify for much aid but certainly can’t afford 50k plus a year out of pocket. Some loans might be worth it if the school seemed perfect and a good enough investment.

Comment

We would be very interested to hear insight as well. My dd is currently being recruited by a couple of NESCACS. She really loves the schools but I’m not sure we’ll be able to afford it since we won’t qualify for much aid but certainly can’t afford 50k plus a year out of pocket. Some loans might be worth it if the school seemed perfect and a good enough investment.
            In your scenario it’s categorically NOT worth it. All of these schools are in the 75k range and will eclipse 80k while your kid is a student.

If you can write the check for four years, I’d say go for it. Under no situation should you ever put your kid in debt over a History degree.

If both parents are teachers these schools are very generous with aid for lower household incomes. Everyone else should run!

One last PSA, these schools are 80% prep school kids. Most of those kids desire the IVY league and ultimately fall back on these schools. If you are admitted to Princeton or Dartmouth you don’t opt to go to Bates or Bowdoin. They aren’t even in the same conversation regardless of what parents tell you. Fabricated elitism in its purest form

Bottom line. Don’t go into debt for these schools

Comment

In your scenario it’s categorically NOT worth it. All of these schools are in the 75k range and will eclipse 80k while your kid is a student.

If you can write the check for four years, I’d say go for it. Under no situation should you ever put your kid in debt over a History degree.

If both parents are teachers these schools are very generous with aid for lower household incomes. Everyone else should run!

One last PSA, these schools are 80% prep school kids. Most of those kids desire the IVY league and ultimately fall back on these schools. If you are admitted to Princeton or Dartmouth you don’t opt to go to Bates or Bowdoin. They aren’t even in the same conversation regardless of what parents tell you. Fabricated elitism in its purest form

Bottom line. Don’t go into debt for these schools
              All of these clowns so far are clueless. They obviously don’t have kids that were accepted and attend these schools.

From a soccer perspective, the league is very competitive and send 4 or 5 teams to the NCAA tournament a year. NESCAC usually has at least one team in the final four a year. Not uncommon for players to get significant pt time as a freshman. Don’t let these clowns tell you the level of play is high school. My kids team has ECNL players and kids who were club players. Is it a d1 level, no, but for those interested in staying relatively close by and going to a strong academic school and playing competitive soccer, nescac is high on the list. Other schools in that category, mit, John Hopkins, uchicago, Carnegie Mellon. Guess what, all of those are in the same price range. Obviously, if you have great academics and want a d1 experience, the ivies are the holy grail.
              Very easy to watch your kid play. Most games are Saturday and Sunday in New England. Maine schools and middlebury are the furthest drives, but plenty in mass and ct. travel for players therefore is minimal. Not leaving on a weekday and missing classes to go to Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, etc. occasional weekday games out of conference are close by. The league has very strict academic focused rules regarding practices, travel, start of season, etc. stricter than ncaa.
              Maine schools have traditionally not been the the most successful on the pitch. The campuses are very nice and out of the three bowdoin is my personal fav. Mass schools have traditionally been very competitive. Williams, Amherst and Tufts in that order. Tufts is the least nescac like as far as feel, but a great school that offers some programs that the others don’t as a university and not a college.
              Ct schools are hit or miss from a soccer perspective. Probably Wesleyan, Trinity, conn college from a soccer perspective.
              The last two schools are in Vermont and N.Y. middlebury is the stronger of the two from a soccer perspective, hamilton has been middle of league table. Both great rural campuses.
              Educationally, these schools are top notch. Contrary to the guys on this thread saying they are history majors, nothing could be further from the truth. Mind you, nothing wrong with history major. Most of my daughters teammates are stem majors and most are double majors or have multiple minors. You won’t see that at the UConn, umass, uri, etc. cheaper cost of attendance, but sometimes you get what you pay for from an academic perspective. The year round practice, longer in season and heavier travel schedule are more difficult on the educational experience. D3 affords the opportunity to study abroad and is more conducive to the labs required for stem classes.
              I leave you with some parting thoughts. My kid hasn’t had any of her teammates transfer out like you see is so common in d1. Her teammates are super smart and supportive. They are competitive on the field, and best friends off it. A lot of them play more than one sport. Coaches aren’t partying and banging players. My kid loves everything about her school

Well worth the cost of attendance in my book....I will sit back and wait for all the guys whose kids can’t get in tell you all the reasons why you should look elsewhere.

Comment

All of these clowns so far are clueless. They obviously don’t have kids that were accepted and attend these schools.

From a soccer perspective, the league is very competitive and send 4 or 5 teams to the NCAA tournament a year. NESCAC usually has at least one team in the final four a year. Not uncommon for players to get significant pt time as a freshman. Don’t let these clowns tell you the level of play is high school. My kids team has ECNL players and kids who were club players. Is it a d1 level, no, but for those interested in staying relatively close by and going to a strong academic school and playing competitive soccer, nescac is high on the list. Other schools in that category, mit, John Hopkins, uchicago, Carnegie Mellon. Guess what, all of those are in the same price range. Obviously, if you have great academics and want a d1 experience, the ivies are the holy grail.
                Very easy to watch your kid play. Most games are Saturday and Sunday in New England. Maine schools and middlebury are the furthest drives, but plenty in mass and ct. travel for players therefore is minimal. Not leaving on a weekday and missing classes to go to Oklahoma, Florida, Texas, etc. occasional weekday games out of conference are close by. The league has very strict academic focused rules regarding practices, travel, start of season, etc. stricter than ncaa.
                Maine schools have traditionally not been the the most successful on the pitch. The campuses are very nice and out of the three bowdoin is my personal fav. Mass schools have traditionally been very competitive. Williams, Amherst and Tufts in that order. Tufts is the least nescac like as far as feel, but a great school that offers some programs that the others don’t as a university and not a college.
                Ct schools are hit or miss from a soccer perspective. Probably Wesleyan, Trinity, conn college from a soccer perspective.
                The last two schools are in Vermont and N.Y. middlebury is the stronger of the two from a soccer perspective, hamilton has been middle of league table. Both great rural campuses.
                Educationally, these schools are top notch. Contrary to the guys on this thread saying they are history majors, nothing could be further from the truth. Mind you, nothing wrong with history major. Most of my daughters teammates are stem majors and most are double majors or have multiple minors. You won’t see that at the UConn, umass, uri, etc. cheaper cost of attendance, but sometimes you get what you pay for from an academic perspective. The year round practice, longer in season and heavier travel schedule are more difficult on the educational experience. D3 affords the opportunity to study abroad and is more conducive to the labs required for stem classes.
                I leave you with some parting thoughts. My kid hasn’t had any of her teammates transfer out like you see is so common in d1. Her teammates are super smart and supportive. They are competitive on the field, and best friends off it. A lot of them play more than one sport. Coaches aren’t partying and banging players. My kid loves everything about her school

Well worth the cost of attendance in my book....I will sit back and wait for all the guys whose kids can’t get in tell you all the reasons why you should look elsewhere.
                Not the OP, but your kid must be smarter than you are. They OP didn’t say they weren’t good schools. Just said that they weren’t worth going into debt for a liberal arts degree. And they are correct. Like prep schools, wonderful if you can afford it, but not worth it if you can’t. That’s what I took from the post. Your post also confirms something that is widely believed about those schools—that they are for elitist, pompous drones.

Comment

Not the OP, but your kid must be smarter than you are. They OP didn’t say they weren’t good schools. Just said that they weren’t worth going into debt for a liberal arts degree. And they are correct. Like prep schools, wonderful if you can afford it, but not worth it if you can’t. That’s what I took from the post. Your post also confirms something that is widely believed about those schools—that they are for elitist, pompous drones.
                  Exactly what I took from his post!

Beautiful schools in great settings with strong academics. No one debates that.

Some of the people that attend make sacrifices like giving up their second golf membership. These are not middle class schools

Hard to justify a return on taking out mounds of debt to attend.

Comment

Get your checkbook out. It’s 75k+per year

If your kid can get in and you have the means it’s a good experience. Alternatively, if you are middle class and make under 150k (household income) they have some generous financial aid. No athletic money in D3 and the schools in the NESCAC cannot give merit money regardless of what anyone posts here.

Some of the campus settings are amazing. Colby, Bates, Bowdoin etc.

Williams is excellent and recruits kids who would otherwise be D1 players

Have your kid start to call coaches. They’ll give you an idea of what they look for and what the requirements are academically. They can help with admissions but not as much as you think.
                    Generous financial aid at around 150k household? HA! You will get the $5500 FAFSA LOAN and your salary and credit history have afforded you the luxury to fill the other $70,000 gap with additional loans! It's NESCAC so you will get no merit money ...... have a good time ..... you would be better off sending your daughter to play on the local HVAC union's team and buy her a $150k starter home while she apprentices and earns equity in that.

Comment

Some may say Trinity players smoke crack before games. Rumors though. Unconfirmed heresay.
                      Just threaten a lawsuit and you can keep your spot.

Comment

Exactly what I took from his post!

Beautiful schools in great settings with strong academics. No one debates that.

Some of the people that attend make sacrifices like giving up their second golf membership. These are not middle class schools

Hard to justify a return on taking out mounds of debt to attend.
                        This. Plus many kids don't want small schools in small locations. The poster needs to take his kid to a variety of different types before his player starts narrowing down their choices. If you're staying in the usual 1/2 days drive from home there's countless good options from ME down to DC and into PA.

Comment

Generous financial aid at around 150k household? HA! You will get the $5500 FAFSA LOAN and your salary and credit history have afforded you the luxury to fill the other $70,000 gap with additional loans! It's NESCAC so you will get no merit money ...... have a good time ..... you would be better off sending your daughter to play on the local HVAC union's team and buy her a $150k starter home while she apprentices and earns equity in that.
                          lol true dat, and same with Ivies. No merit, no athletic. In order to get some good merit $ you typically have to take a step down the ladder, to schools that give merit $ and really, really want you. When you're applying to the very top academic schools there is zero to minimal academic $, and even when there is you're competing against the nation's top students. Otherwise you're looking at paying full boat. Depending on their intended major it may not be worth it.

Comment

So my daughter attended one of these schools. First, regarding financial aid, my daughter received 100% aid for the difference between the cost and our "expected family contribution". It was a big help but still had to to take out sizable loans each year.

Most of the kids at these schools come from money so the campus culture has a really different vibe.

Regarding the soccer program. She had offers from 3 different D3 schools and she decided on her NESCAC school. She had met with the head coach several times and he came out and watched her at various tournaments. He suggested going early decision, which she did. After she was accepted we met him again. Unfortunately, things took a turn for the worst. At this meeting he informed us that the original incoming class of 7 girls had increased to 15, making the roster size almost 40. He said he had to take several legacy students.

Having a roster of 38 made it extremely challenging to get any significant playing time. She ended up playing sparingly in several games at a position she really never played in HS or in club. At the end of year exit interview, the coach told her that the next years incoming class would again have 10+ kids pushing the roster over 40. He went on to tell her that she didn't make the impact he expected and he thought there would be even less play time for her in the future. After hearing this, my daughter decided to leave the program. She did stay at the school and has enjoyed her time there but is still bitter about the perceived "bait and switch". Regardless she did get a great education at a baby ivy.

As with everything, your experience will be different and of course buyer beware.

Comment

Huh? The op didn’t say anything about cost. Asked about experiences with the programs. Go back and read the first question in the thread.

Are they worth 75k? If a school like Umass is worth 50k, then hell yeah. For the extra 25k, I will take an Econ degree from bowdoin over Umass, or any other state university in the north east.So will Goldman and just about every other big investment bank in the country. Econ liberal arts vs what....finance major at Umass. What did the Umass degree give you that the liberal arts degree in Econ didn’t give you? There is a reason it costs more. Look at placements and alumni network. A school like uri for example is a joke when it comes to I banks.

There is no comparison. Like staying at Motel 6 vs the Plaza hotel. For both, you pay for a room with a bed and a bathroom. That’s were the comparison ends. If you can afford it, you can afford it. If not fine. You ha e no idea of the value you get little man. Did you go to a new nescac school? Does your kid? Where does your opinion come from. Are you in admissions at a top law school or med school? A top mba program? Maybe you hire for a company that starts associates in the six figure range. Somehow, I see you more as a plumber. Stick to what you know best.....sheet!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X