Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    When sick leave is benefit and not a right this is what you get.
    oh please give us a break. Me paying for your health care is not a right. Put a fkn diaper on if you want to act like a baby and have someone else take care of you.

Comment

COVID-19: Approximately 2,770 deaths reported worldwide; 0 deaths in the U.S., as of Feb. 26, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Tell me again how the flu is less dangerous?
      Wow some people don't understand statistics do they. COVID 19 current death rate is 2.5% of those who tested positive. It's probably lower because more are infected but aren't ever tested. Flu death rate is usually .4-.6%, still under 1% in a bad year. The 1918 flu pandemic was closer to COVID's numbers worldwide, but it hit other countries much worse than here. 1918 hit young adults the worse; seasonal flu hits the very young and very old the young; Covid seems to be more elderly/already ill with not many reported issues with children.

Put it this way - if 8% of the US got it that means 25.6M cases (I pulled that entirely out of my butt; it could lower or much higher). Based on China's numbers that means 1.3M hospitalizations (about 5% need it) and 512,000 deaths (if 2% death rate). Is that panic worthy? I guess it depends on what makes you edgy. If I was older or had medical issues I'd be more on edge, but still living my life normally until it changes, if ever.

Comment

If you do get some coronavirus its always goes down better with lyme disease.

Comment

oh please give us a break. Me paying for your health care is not a right. Put a fkn diaper on if you want to act like a baby and have someone else take care of you.
          This isn't about medicare for all but the fact that the US has abysmal sick leave policies compared to the rest of the world. We also have a cultural affinity for
          it

"No one's allowed to be sick. Sickness is weakness," says LeaAnne DeRigne, associate professor of social work at Florida Atlantic University.

"The attitude is 'I'm irreplaceable - if I don't show up, my job won't get done.' Some of it is also concern about how you are going to be viewed as an employee - whether you can be counted on or not. Whether by having too many sick days, too many absences, you are not seen as reliable."

She adds: "At the very core of being American is the idea of being a hard worker."

Not that most Americans have a choice in the matter.

America is one of the few developed industrial nations that does not guarantee paid sick leave by law.

Eligible workers are allowed to take up to 12 weeks off for illnesses or a new baby without fear of losing their job - under the Family and Medical Leave Act, signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1993 - and many companies will allow their staff a few days' sick leave as part of their employee benefits package.

But for millions of low-paid workers, the rule is simple - if you don't show up for work you lose a day's pay."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37353742

Comment

Wow some people don't understand statistics do they. COVID 19 current death rate is 2.5% of those who tested positive. It's probably lower because more are infected but aren't ever tested. Flu death rate is usually .4-.6%, still under 1% in a bad year. The 1918 flu pandemic was closer to COVID's numbers worldwide, but it hit other countries much worse than here. 1918 hit young adults the worse; seasonal flu hits the very young and very old the young; Covid seems to be more elderly/already ill with not many reported issues with children.

Put it this way - if 8% of the US got it that means 25.6M cases (I pulled that entirely out of my butt; it could lower or much higher). Based on China's numbers that means 1.3M hospitalizations (about 5% need it) and 512,000 deaths (if 2% death rate). Is that panic worthy? I guess it depends on what makes you edgy. If I was older or had medical issues I'd be more on edge, but still living my life normally until it changes, if ever.
            I think you don't understand statics and the errors with extrapolation vs interpolation.

Do us a favor and stay in your bunker until this is all over.

Comment

This isn't about medicare for all but the fact that the US has abysmal sick leave policies compared to the rest of the world. We also have a cultural affinity for
              it

"No one's allowed to be sick. Sickness is weakness," says LeaAnne DeRigne, associate professor of social work at Florida Atlantic University.

"The attitude is 'I'm irreplaceable - if I don't show up, my job won't get done.' Some of it is also concern about how you are going to be viewed as an employee - whether you can be counted on or not. Whether by having too many sick days, too many absences, you are not seen as reliable."

She adds: "At the very core of being American is the idea of being a hard worker."

Not that most Americans have a choice in the matter.

America is one of the few developed industrial nations that does not guarantee paid sick leave by law.

Eligible workers are allowed to take up to 12 weeks off for illnesses or a new baby without fear of losing their job - under the Family and Medical Leave Act, signed into law by Bill Clinton in 1993 - and many companies will allow their staff a few days' sick leave as part of their employee benefits package.

But for millions of low-paid workers, the rule is simple - if you don't show up for work you lose a day's pay."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37353742
              And, when they get sick in England and Canada they have to come to the US for decent health care.

You are in America. The rights of the individual are not outweighed by the rights of the masses. Go to Cuba if you want what is best for everyone and see how that works out for you.

Comment

It isn't here, but then again, don't tell anyone how to use their sick leave. Having health care is for the public benefit.

How is the stock market doing right now?

Comment

Thanks for contributing poor public health. My boss at my first out of college job had young kids and was always bringing his crud to work. My sister is a school nurse and so many parents give their kids some Advil and send them to school contagious.

Pushing yourself when you're truly ill, not just a cold, only makes the recovery longer. Better to take a pay hit for a few days then 1) give it to others 2) possibly get yourself really sick
                  Up yours. Seriously. I need the paycheck to pay for my HOME. I can't afford doctors' BILLS anyway. I will push through.

Comment

And, when they get sick in England and Canada they have to come to the US for decent health care.

You are in America. The rights of the individual are not outweighed by the rights of the masses. Go to Cuba if you want what is best for everyone and see how that works out for you.
                    No, Canadians and Europeans do not come here for health care.

Comment

Americans actually go to other countries, including India and Mexico, for health care, because we can't afford it here.

Comment

Americans actually go to other countries, including India and Mexico, for health care, because we can't afford it here.
                        Smart. Enjoy the tacos for breakfast from the guy on the corner in TJ. They’re the best. But don’t drink the water. Beer only. But not Corona, because, well, that should be obvious.

Comment

any of them with $$$$$ certainly do come here for health care
                          don't be so stupid

Comment

what else did you pull out of your butt??
                            bet timmy was mad

Comment

don't be so stupid
                              If they do, which they don't, how does that make our health care system better?

Comment

don't be so stupid
                                I am sure you can find something more recent, but 750,000 Americans, from one country, going to other countries and only 85,000 from all other countries total coming here.

"A report of McKinsey and Co. from 2008 found that between 60,000 and 85,000 medical tourists were traveling to the United States for the purpose of receiving in-patient medical care.[75] The same McKinsey study estimated that 750,000 American medical tourists traveled from the United States to other countries in 2007 (up from 500,000 in 2006)...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica...#United_States

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X