X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakers fire Head Coach and one Assistant

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/News/743809.html

(Aug. 2, 2013) - The Boston Breakers and coach Lisa Cole have parted ways, the club announced Friday afternoon. Defender and Olympic gold medalist Cat Whitehill will take over coaching duties for Boston as a player/coach on an interim basis while the team searches for a new permanent manager.

“Lisa was a critical participant in the launch of the National Women’s Soccer League and making sure there was a professional women’s league in the U.S.,” Boson Breakers managing partner Michael Stoller said. “I cannot thank her enough for her years of service to the Breakers and women's professional soccer.”

Assistant coach Maren Rojas also left the club ahead of their home game Saturday against the Western New York Flash.

“I have great respect for both Lisa and for Maren,” Stoller said. “Lisa is highly regarded in the women’s game and her dedication to the sport throughout the years is unmatched, from club, college, amateur, and up to the professional level.”

The Breakers currently sit fifth in the National Women’s Soccer League standings, having taken 23 points from 18 games with a 6-7-5 record. They trail the Flash by seven points for the fourth and final NWSL playoff spot with four games to play in the regular season.

“At this point, as the team makes a push to the playoffs, this was a change that needed to be made,” Breakers General Manager Lee Billiard said. “Lisa has done so much for our organization and the women’s professional game in general. It is with great regret this change had to be made.”

Cole took over as head coach for the Breakers in 2012 after arriving at the club in 2009 and spending three years as an assistant under Tony DiCicco. She posted a 17-10-5 record during her two years in charge of the Breakers in both the NWSL and Women’s Premier Soccer League.

“Lisa is a highly respected coach and had many great seasons in Boston,” Billiard said. “Maren came to the team with a great coaching resume, and we have respect for both coaches.”

Rojas joined Boston ahead of the 2013 NWSL season. She previously served as an assistant coach at Boston College for the women’s soccer team.

I heard FM is getting his resume ready. But sources are saying that Lee B himself is the front runner for the job. It will be fun to see him interviewing himself. My vote goes to FM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I heard FM is getting his resume ready. But sources are saying that Lee B himself is the front runner for the job. It will be fun to see him interviewing himself. My vote goes to FM.
      I assume that the FM part is a joke. LB is unqualifed at this level. His lack of success at the younger levels (HS and club) and absence of US Soccer coaching resume hardly make him a front runner.

His ability to manage on the business side does not make him an apropraite coach.

Comment

I can see firing the head coach if the team is under performing but why fire the asst. coach? Seems like there is another reason why both were fired.

Comment

FM would actually be a great coach. He has won at every level and coached world-class level players. Well deserved.

Comment

I can see firing the head coach if the team is under performing but why fire the asst. coach? Seems like there is another reason why both were fired.
            Lisa was fired because of team performance. Not sure why the assistant was fired.

Comment

FM would actually be a great coach. He has won at every level and coached world-class level players. Well deserved.
              But he does not have US Soccer NT coaching experience either. I did not mean to put him down when I said this must be a joke - I just assumed that it was a troll post.

Comment

Pro sports are a bitch. There is usually nothing fair about these sorts of firings. Inevitably it will be tied back to a difference of opinion between the coach and ownership about player usage or playing style. The assistant probably just sided with the head coach. This is probably your classic example of the golden rule.. the one with the gold rules..

Comment

Being a pro coach is more than just coaching players. Can anyone imagine FM doing a press conference?

Comment

Oh god. Please tell me you are joking

Comment

I assume that the FM part is a joke. LB is unqualifed at this level. His lack of success at the younger levels (HS and club) and absence of US Soccer coaching resume hardly make him a front runner.

His ability to manage on the business side does not make him an apropraite coach.

LB has had a lack of success with HS and club? You could have fooled me. Fair point about his qualifications and experience at pro level but you can't knock his achievements at youth level.

Comment

LB has had a lack of success with HS and club? You could have fooled me. Fair point about his qualifications and experience at pro level but you can't knock his achievements at youth level.
                        ABwas at the tip of the heap. They're not even mentioned now. His MPS teams have mostly been also rans and the pkayers have for the most part not made a splash in college. Maybe I am missing something?

Comment

top of the heap

Comment

Really wouldn't be surprised to see DG from Holy Cross get the Head Coach role

Comment

ABwas at the tip of the heap. They're not even mentioned now. His MPS teams have mostly been also rans and the pkayers have for the most part not made a splash in college. Maybe I am missing something?
                              Did LB ever coach the Managing Partner's daughter at MPS? Sounds like there is more to this story than wins and losses.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X