Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why Is (D3) Augustana Recruiting My Benchwarming Son to Play College Football?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook.../#51063a845847

This article speaks to how D3 schools are utilizing athletics and why they are recruiting athletes. Some here should let this article sink in a bit.
    This article really tells the tale of what The whole “Tip” game is actually about.

Comment

Ok, but since we have a friend that got into Yale, but not Amherst, sometimes grades aren't enough. These NESCAC schools have single digit acceptance rates, soccer gives them an edge. Perhaps your daughter also did not get into her top choice NESCAC and that is why you are so negative. Soccer gave my kid a boost up, and she is enjoying playing. We could not be happier. I don't get why you aren't more happy with your own daughter?
      This speaks about the lunacy involved in the college name dropping game that gets played on this site. Who in their right mind worries about getting into Amherst after they get the acceptance letter from Yale? The bottom line is if you target schools properly your kid shouldn’t have any problems getting into a school. It doesn’t matter if it is for athletics or academics, the problems pop up when kids reach.

Comment

Only someone with no experience of Yale or Amherst admissions would write the above.

Comment

Only someone with no experience of Yale or Amherst admissions would write the above.
          or no experience attending such a place. for every phenom at this or that there seems to be a regular old reach kid.

Comment

This speaks about the lunacy involved in the college name dropping game that gets played on this site. Who in their right mind worries about getting into Amherst after they get the acceptance letter from Yale? The bottom line is if you target schools properly your kid shouldn’t have any problems getting into a school. It doesn’t matter if it is for athletics or academics, the problems pop up when kids reach.
            Exactly. So why didn't you send your kid to Tennessee or Florida State?

Comment

And so the embellishments just keep rolling in. The support this poster is referring to is limited to what is known as a tip. The number of tips available is based upon a formula in the NESCAC and generally limited to 2-3 per year for a sport like soccer. Since by rule a sport coach cannot have any sway with their admissions department a tip is not a guarantee of admission. The applicant must be solidly within the school’s admission parameters so it’s not like a tip affords much in the way of an academic concession. Basically it helps a very qualified applicant who has decided to go to a specific school a very small degree of certainty. It is actually the weakest form of admissions help in this game.
              And BTNT again with the first post out of the gate this morning. Wakes up thinking about D3 and how he can minimize anything having to do with D3 as much as he possibly can. Pure hatred. Pure loser. And all because he wasn't man enough to eat crow and go ahead and let his kid go somewhere like William Smith or SLU.

Comment

Exactly. Tens & tens of thousands of qualified students don’t get into Ivies despite being qualified with elite academic stats. There are so few spots available. Then add in the only handful of spots available on the soccer teams and it’s like winning the lottery, even when you’re qualified in both academics and sports.

Comment

or no experience attending such a place. for every phenom at this or that there seems to be a regular old reach kid.
                  Or alumni family members. Athletics and legacy admits are big with Ivies and D3s

Comment

Don't you get it. Amherst is sooooo desirable that someone is going to turn down an acceptance to Yale to go there? Underlines the whole D3 or bust agenda here.

Comment

Don't you get it. Amherst is sooooo desirable that someone is going to turn down an acceptance to Yale to go there? Underlines the whole D3 or bust agenda here.
                      I think the point was that Amherst is almost as selective as Yale/Ivy League and that many students don't get accepted that have the GPA and SAT scores. I also get that playing sports can help with admissions.

The issue for our family is simply cost. Even if my kid was accepted to Yale or Amherst, I don't see how we could afford it given there is no athletic or academic money. Does she have the grades? Yes. Does she have the soccer? Yes. Does it matter if we can't get help with the cost? Nope.

Comment

I think the point was that Amherst is almost as selective as Yale/Ivy League and that many students don't get accepted that have the GPA and SAT scores. I also get that playing sports can help with admissions.

The issue for our family is simply cost. Even if my kid was accepted to Yale or Amherst, I don't see how we could afford it given there is no athletic or academic money. Does she have the grades? Yes. Does she have the soccer? Yes. Does it matter if we can't get help with the cost? Nope.

College in the US is ridiculous. Oh Canada....

Comment

College in the US is ridiculous. Oh Canada....
                          https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ins...ssions-2019-11

^^^Parents are so hung up on acceptance rates, but have no idea how rigged they are. Here’s an article about the College Board selling SAT data to colleges without the students’ knowledge so they can solicit them to apply KNOWING upfront that they will reject them. And why do they do this? So it looks like a lot apply and acceptance is low. D3 schools like Amherst are some of the worst at this. It just feeds into parent/student anxiety and gives the school an air of exclusivity; and nothing there than anxiety/exclusivity that makes upper middle class families open up their wallets.

Comment

And here we have BTNT responding to his own post. Obstinate fool. 12+ years. Echolalia x a trillion.

Comment

All the negatives about elitism and dressing up reputations and ranking and all the rest is true. That said, if your kid gets admitted to Yale or Amherst (and doesn't have a similar or equal choice for less money) SEND him or her. A no brainer. Didn't you know about the cost before you let your kid apply? A kid who can get in a place like Yale, especially totally on their own merits, should be going to Yale or a similar institution.

Comment

All the negatives about elitism and dressing up reputations and ranking and all the rest is true. That said, if your kid gets admitted to Yale or Amherst (and doesn't have a similar or equal choice for less money) SEND him or her. A no brainer. Didn't you know about the cost before you let your kid apply? A kid who can get in a place like Yale, especially totally on their own merits, should be going to Yale or a similar institution.
                                Agree if cost isn’t an issue. However, if you/your parents are hell bent on ONLY D1 soccer and you don’t get into Yale but you do get into Amherst and UMass or Fairfield, your only choice is D1 because the shame of D3 Amherst wouldn’t even be worth living anymore and no one would believe you that your kid “could’ve gone D1”. Life is 100% about soccer, especially for girls, so any D3 school is complete garbage, don’t you know.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X