Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class of 2021 - Predictions for June 15?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D1 and D3 schools with large endowments will be your safest bet. Although some endowments are earmarked for specific purposes. Another reason to focus on academics.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I thought the new deadline prohibited in-person recruiting. My understanding is that you could email, phone, and zoom. Is this not the case??
      You can email, text, phone, zoom - but no in-person anything, which includes scouting games.

Comment

You can email, text, phone, zoom - but no in-person anything, which includes scouting games.
        So nothing has changed since CV started. If you’re not reaching out just know tons of others are.

Comment

Correct

Comment

The NCAA recruiting dead period has been extended to June 30th.
            And will get extended further

Comment

For uncommitted 2021 players, are you guys just waiting for pre-reads from D3 now? With so many schools waiving they SATs, do you think it will make it easier for a coach to tip a student in, esp since so many schools inflated grades last semester?

Comment

Waiting on pre-reads for my dd. Shouldn’t be a problem for her top choice.

Comment

For uncommitted 2021 players, are you guys just waiting for pre-reads from D3 now? With so many schools waiving they SATs, do you think it will make it easier for a coach to tip a student in, esp since so many schools inflated grades last semester?
                  If the school has any experience with the high school (which many local colleges will) then that's less of an issue. They know which ones have more challenging curriculums and which don't. If grades are inflated (I don't see it with our HS) then it was only for one quarter. If shouldn't have changed a students grades that much, especially for year long classes

Comment

Are you asking for boys or girls? My guess is that uncommitted girls would definitely looking at D3.

On the boys side I think a bunch of the high D1 schools have moved quickly. If you haven't been seen by D1 schools yet then it is going to be very difficult. D3 is waiting for the fallout from D1. My son is in the middle of the recruiting process and we were really waiting for the spring club season, Jeff Cup and all the summer ID camps to make a push. It's virtually impossible now to get real feedback because coaches haven't seen kids play (although a lot of the D1 coaches went to the florida DA Winter Cup and that is where most of the offers from D1 are coming from since the coaches can say that they saw kids play). We were ok with not doing DA so that my son could play with his HS team and club. Our plan was to be seen in club games, tournaments and ID camps. Those are mostly gone (maybe some ID camps in early August). The club still took my money...getting a $500 refund while we missed 8 season games and 6 tournament games...but that's a different issue. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any ideas?

Comment

At the highly selective D3 schools (e.g. NESCAC) my guess is that # of tips a D3 coach has will likely stay the same, but the AI threshold will fall. This should give advantage to the better soccer players. Wouldn't every coach lead with the best player they can get?

Comment

Are you asking for boys or girls? My guess is that uncommitted girls would definitely looking at D3.

On the boys side I think a bunch of the high D1 schools have moved quickly. If you haven't been seen by D1 schools yet then it is going to be very difficult. D3 is waiting for the fallout from D1. My son is in the middle of the recruiting process and we were really waiting for the spring club season, Jeff Cup and all the summer ID camps to make a push. It's virtually impossible now to get real feedback because coaches haven't seen kids play (although a lot of the D1 coaches went to the florida DA Winter Cup and that is where most of the offers from D1 are coming from since the coaches can say that they saw kids play). We were ok with not doing DA so that my son could play with his HS team and club. Our plan was to be seen in club games, tournaments and ID camps. Those are mostly gone (maybe some ID camps in early August). The club still took my money...getting a $500 refund while we missed 8 season games and 6 tournament games...but that's a different issue. Anyone else experiencing the same problem? Any ideas?
                        Some schools are still very behind. Broaden the search if possible and appropriate (don't start lowering academic standards just to get recruited). Send emails and a brief video. Ask them when they might have an ID event (some will have them August-Oct). Make sure to have plenty of video to offer up if they ask. Normally they don't spend any time with video but obviously this year is different.

Comment

I don’t get it when people on here say don’t lower academic standards... or my kid only wants high academic schools. Maybe it’s just me, but finding the best school you can afford without going into insane debt seems to be the best path for most students. This is without the athletic piece. Also, finding the best school you’ll have the most fun in a city you’ll love living in, with a student culture that suits you is more important than the most academic college. It’s true some careers pathways are easier to pursue if you attend certain schools but for most college students how you spend your time and pursue soft and hard skills will help you most post graduation.

With the way the economy is now, it’s even more important to make sure you don’t start your post college life drowning in loans. This is my 2nd and last child to go through this process. My older one played soccer 2 years at a T50 school she felt she had to go because of its academic reputation.. We took out loans for her to attend this school and play soccer as a psych major. After two years she decided to transfer to our local flagship school without playing soccer and is enjoying the school. Better fit for the above reasons. Best of all, we did not take out loans. With my 2021 son we told him our budget and said we wouldn’t take out loans. He’s a high academic kid with gpa and test scores that would allow him to attend a highly ranked school. Instead, he found a handful of schools to target based on what I’ve already mentioned above and has solid offers at two schools. He’ll graduate without debt and we’ll pay less than our flagship school. He wants to go to med school and the soccer schools he has offers with has no issue with the classes and labs he’ll need to take. As long as he can continue to successful in his college classes with high grades, his med school prospects will be better than having attended a more competitive school with lower grades. Excuse me for typos, I’m typing this on my iPhone 5.

Comment

Some believe prestige and selectivity indicate quality.
                            Ironically, the people who eschew logos on clothes and cars chase them for colleges
                            “High Academic” could still be a horrible fit for a specific individual.

Comment

I don’t get it when people on here say don’t lower academic standards... or my kid only wants high academic schools. Maybe it’s just me, but finding the best school you can afford without going into insane debt seems to be the best path for most students. This is without the athletic piece. Also, finding the best school you’ll have the most fun in a city you’ll love living in, with a student culture that suits you is more important than the most academic college. It’s true some careers pathways are easier to pursue if you attend certain schools but for most college students how you spend your time and pursue soft and hard skills will help you most post graduation.

With the way the economy is now, it’s even more important to make sure you don’t start your post college life drowning in loans. This is my 2nd and last child to go through this process. My older one played soccer 2 years at a T50 school she felt she had to go because of its academic reputation.. We took out loans for her to attend this school and play soccer as a psych major. After two years she decided to transfer to our local flagship school without playing soccer and is enjoying the school. Better fit for the above reasons. Best of all, we did not take out loans. With my 2021 son we told him our budget and said we wouldn’t take out loans. He’s a high academic kid with gpa and test scores that would allow him to attend a highly ranked school. Instead, he found a handful of schools to target based on what I’ve already mentioned above and has solid offers at two schools. He’ll graduate without debt and we’ll pay less than our flagship school. He wants to go to med school and the soccer schools he has offers with has no issue with the classes and labs he’ll need to take. As long as he can continue to successful in his college classes with high grades, his med school prospects will be better than having attended a more competitive school with lower grades. Excuse me for typos, I’m typing this on my iPhone 5.
                              Who ever says they want a low academic school? Or a so-so academic school? It’s all in the eye of the beholder. No college would exist if it didn’t have a positive outcome for the majority of its students and graduates. I’ve yet to hear a college say “the majority of our alumni don’t have a job!” People still manage to muddle by even if they didn’t all go to a top Ivy. Just be sure you and your student-athlete are honest about what you want out of the college experience both on the field and off, and more importantly after they graduate.

Comment

OP hetr of the "don't lower your academic standards" statement. By that I didn't mean only look at top schools. I meant its important to stick with good academic to good fits for your student. Some do take a step down academically, or the school overall isn't a top choice, just to be able to play. I've seen it happen many times, although more so with boys. If it isn't a place you see yourself at without soccer, keep looking. Many won't play all 4 years so you better love the school.

One way to find more options is to simply broaden your reach geographically. The NE has a tremendous concentration of schools of all kinds and in general most students will stick to a half day's drive from home radius. But there are many others just a short plane ride away also. One of mine ended up in the midwest after the coach reached out. Its ended up being a fantastic place for them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X