Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Or do we want to always watch the same teams at the end?
    Yes, if they are the best teams.

-signed a NE Patriots Fan

Comment

Looking at this season as an example, ACC and PAC-12 earned a huge numerical advantage by having 18 teams total out of 64 (28%). So 2 conferences out of 30+ already represent nearly 1 out of 3 teams in the tourney. Are you really concerned that some of those are eliminated early on? Are you worried that some wouldn’t make it through to the semis or final?

At least give the top teams from the bottom 16 conferences a chance to show what they can do against similarly ranked conferences/teams rather than playing a bunch of #1 and 2 seeds.

And we are talking about extremes here looking at Stanford and PV, but this benefits virtually every conference so you have the opportunity to see conferences in the middle like MAAC, Patriot, etc. in the final 8 as well. It gives all these conferences/teams more exposure so that maybe they can attract more talent and $ to improve their programs and level the playing field a little. Or do we want to always watch the same teams at the end?
      I want to see the best teams in the end. If they are the same teams each year, so be it. You are trying to artificially manufacture a result. Changing who weaker teams play first doesn't make them better, just delays the inevitable. There are other divisions, move down to a level you can compete in on the field and off. I want to see the best fully funded and supported teams battle it out and know that in the end the best team won.

Comment

I want to see the best teams in the end. If they are the same teams each year, so be it. You are trying to artificially manufacture a result. Changing who weaker teams play first doesn't make them better, just delays the inevitable. There are other divisions, move down to a level you can compete in on the field and off. I want to see the best fully funded and supported teams battle it out and know that in the end the best team won.
        ^^ OPs proposal is one of the dumbest suggestions I have seen in a while. You EARN your seeding via the regular season. His proposal makes the regular season almost worthless from an NCAA PoV.

The only way it would make sense is if the National Championship becomes an FA/Open Cup. A random drawn KO even with some seeding. That will never happen given the geographical constraints and other things.

Comment

^^ OPs proposal is one of the dumbest suggestions I have seen in a while. You EARN your seeding via the regular season. His proposal makes the regular season almost worthless from an NCAA PoV.

The only way it would make sense is if the National Championship becomes an FA/Open Cup. A random drawn KO even with some seeding. That will never happen given the geographical constraints and other things.
          I can only surmise that the OP's kid goes to a school that's competitive within a weaker conference, but hopelessly overmatched against any team from a P5 conference. Therefore, a revised tournament format would allow his school to survive an extra game or two once in awhile. I think it's nuts. There are few enough people that care about the NCAA women's soccer tournament; would ANYONE care about it if half the better teams were knocked out early and we're stuck with elite 8 matchups that are going to be 5-1 or 6-0 games?

Comment

I can only surmise that the OP's kid goes to a school that's competitive within a weaker conference, but hopelessly overmatched against any team from a P5 conference. Therefore, a revised tournament format would allow his school to survive an extra game or two once in awhile. I think it's nuts. There are few enough people that care about the NCAA women's soccer tournament; would ANYONE care about it if half the better teams were knocked out early and we're stuck with elite 8 matchups that are going to be 5-1 or 6-0 games?
            Not the OP but imo, no, because Stanford, UNC, UCLA, FL/FL ST year in and year out becomes monotonous and boring. You used to have the likes of a Portland winning it all. Heck, even Umass made it all the way back in the day. At least the men have Akron to shake things up. I think the P5 is terrible for all NCAA athletics. In the past decade, TV money has put them into a stratosphere that is untouchable, in all sports. I think eventually P5 will be separated from the rest of D1.

I get it, a top coach sets up shop at a mid major, it can and will happen. At the end of the day that is the draw. Maybe someone like a Julie Shackenford at her alma mater or something similar. GT had a nice run, but that seems over.

Comment

Not the OP but imo, no, because Stanford, UNC, UCLA, FL/FL ST year in and year out becomes monotonous and boring. You used to have the likes of a Portland winning it all. Heck, even Umass made it all the way back in the day. At least the men have Akron to shake things up. I think the P5 is terrible for all NCAA athletics. In the past decade, TV money has put them into a stratosphere that is untouchable, in all sports. I think eventually P5 will be separated from the rest of D1.

I get it, a top coach sets up shop at a mid major, it can and will happen. At the end of the day that is the draw. Maybe someone like a Julie Shackenford at her alma mater or something similar. GT had a nice run, but that seems over.
              Your PoV on P5 athletics cant surely be drawn from Womens Soccer. if the OP expressed the some sentiment of football or basketball, he would be laughed out of court.

Comment

Your PoV on P5 athletics cant surely be drawn from Womens Soccer. if the OP expressed the some sentiment of football or basketball, he would be laughed out of court.
                Not yet, and despite the lovefest on these boards, I've seen plenty of pisspoor P5 teams over the years. That said, as the money continues to flow, it is going to greatly impact all sports. The rebuilding and adding of facilities and dedicated-to-specific-sports (non fb and bb) at some of these schools is staggering, imo.

Comment

Yes, if they are the best teams.

-signed a NE Patriots Fan
                  Or hit their mark at the right time.
                  -signed a Nick Foles Fan

Comment

24 games between now and Sunday night.
                    Who survives the weekend?

Comment

24 games between now and Sunday night.
                      Who survives the weekend?
                      2nd round winner predictions
                      Stanford
                      Penn St
                      NC st
                      Louisville

UCLA
                      DUKE
                      Washington
                      Florida at

Virginia
                      WV
                      Kansas
                      SC

USC
                      Santa Clara
                      Texas Tech
                      UNC

Comment

2nd round winner predictions
                        Stanford
                        Penn St
                        NC st
                        Louisville

UCLA
                        DUKE
                        Washington
                        Florida at

Virginia
                        WV
                        Kansas
                        SC

USC
                        Santa Clara
                        Texas Tech
                        UNC
                        Nc state through over arkansas;
                        BYU over Louisville (questionable refing. Called handball/pk in box for byu and missed same obvious call for louisville)

Comment

BYU looked pretty good though. Definite contender.

Comment

Live games:

Santa Clara 3-0 over Oklahoma St - 2nd half
                            MI and TX Tech tied at 1-1 - 1st half
                            S FL over Wash 2-0 - 2nd half
                            Kansas over Xavier 2-0 (40 mins in). 1st half

Comment

For the locals:
                              Brownies play FSU at 5;
                              CCSU play WVU at 4.

Comment

For the locals:
                                Brownies play FSU at 5;
                                CCSU play WVU at 4.
                                Thank you for the updates.

UVA plays later today I believe. Is their GK Ivory back? Does anyone know?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X