Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No juice and cupcakes. It's not fair to those who might be allergic. Water for everyone!
    See, these are the types of comments that make me fear for the future of the U.S. I'm almost embarrassed to be the parent of athletes, reading these posts. By the way, here's what a parent in LS had to say:

"This is a good move. Change the structure of the teams to eliminate an unnecessary title. Natural leaders will continue to lead, regardless. Coaches don't have to waste time managing parental expectations."

Parents just can't wait to tell everyone that their kid is captain, I guess. In my experience, many of the kids selected as captains are simply winning a popularity contest, and don't do a heck of a lot of leading. Real leaders don't need a title, they just do the job.

But since this is all giving you a chance to spew nonsensical juvenile drivel, just keep on going... I must say, I am surprised to see it from you, Beachbum.

Comment

An update with late breaking news to this PC story...... games will no longer be called "contests" but will instead be called " friendlies." There will be no winners or losers, just ties. Handshakes all around will be mandatory before kickoff. A group hug and a pat on the back with the statement " Atta boy" or " Have a nice day" will be required after each "friendly". Participation medals will be given to all players, coaches, staff and fans after each event.

Have a nice day!

Comment

See, these are the types of comments that make me fear for the future of the U.S. I'm almost embarrassed to be the parent of athletes, reading these posts. By the way, here's what a parent in LS had to say:

"This is a good move. Change the structure of the teams to eliminate an unnecessary title. Natural leaders will continue to lead, regardless. Coaches don't have to waste time managing parental expectations."

Parents just can't wait to tell everyone that their kid is captain, I guess. In my experience, many of the kids selected as captains are simply winning a popularity contest, and don't do a heck of a lot of leading. Real leaders don't need a title, they just do the job.

But since this is all giving you a chance to spew nonsensical juvenile drivel, just keep on going... I must say, I am surprised to see it from you, Beachbum.
        Say Hi to Obama for me.

Comment

I tend to agree. There is so little substance to so many of the posts; the two posts following yours are prime examples. It is too easy just to throw off a one-liner or engage in make-believe. But I digress. D recently went to a camp at one of the top LACs in the country. (And for you with the tin-foil hats on, the USNews rankings are informative and no one is about to shut them down.) The relevant point is that the coach said that he would just as soon do away with captains. His view was that everyone should take responsibility. He did not want any free-riders sitting around waiting for directions. From the first day, freshmen (and all returning players) were given some of the responsibilities usually shouldered by captains. He still had captains who did the standard ceremonial tasks, but everyone had some responsibilities.

Of course, some of you crave a rigid hierarchy. You might take the time to read about human factor engineering. Why does the US have a much lower rate of airplane crashes than Korea? The main reason is that Korea is a more hierarchical society. Flattening the hierarchy in the cockpit has reduced the accident rate. Sometimes it is good for everyone to take ownership. Curiously enough, the Tea Party movement prides itself on not being hierarchical, at least I think that is what you all mean when you talk about being a starfish not a spider.

Comment

Say Hi to Obama for me.
            Why do people like you insist on dropping little comments like this? How small are you? You're linking something happening at L-S to one of the highest achieving, obviously most successfully competitive individuals this country has ever produced?

Comment

Why do people like you insist on dropping little comments like this? How small are you? You're linking something happening at L-S to one of the highest achieving, obviously most successfully competitive individuals this country has ever produced?

You can't be serious. This isn't a poltical forum, but please.

Comment

Just a clarification: The idea being discussed at L-S is just that: an idea--one that a couple of coaches (so far) are willing to implement to explore its efficacy. It is not a policy. At the end of the school year, it will be interesting to hear about the positives and negatives experienced by the teams that chose to explore the idea.
                Onthree

Comment

One of the what?

Comment

One of the what?
                    What part is confusing you?

Comment

You can't be serious. This isn't a poltical forum, but please.
                      No, you can't be serious. Obama would end up being your captain in any activity that you've ever participated in, past, current, and in the future.

Comment

Just a clarification: The idea being discussed at L-S is just that: an idea--one that a couple of coaches (so far) are willing to implement to explore its efficacy. It is not a policy. At the end of the school year, it will be interesting to hear about the positives and negatives experienced by the teams that chose to explore the idea.
                        Onthree
                        Hi Onthree! What do you think of the policy?

Comment

No, you can't be serious. Obama would end up being your captain in any activity that you've ever participated in, past, current, and in the future.
                          Are you sure ? The fact of the matter is , we know less about this President than any other in history. For the record, I have never used a Teleprompter when speaking in public.

Comment

As a former HS coach I will weigh in. During my first year as coach I selected my three captains. There were about 8 srs on the team but the three players were clearly the leaders of the team and best players, I waited until a few days before the first game to select them after observing the team and watching to see who the leaders were and how the other players interacted with them. The following year and for subsequent years I had the teams vote on the captains but I always had veto power. I had several talented players that I rejected simply because while they were great players they were not leaders.

The only year that presented a problem was when I had only three seniors with one player that was neither popular but tried to be a leader. I compromised and made her an alternate captain. I made her a full captain midway through the season.

Having captains was important. The coach cannot always be the one that delivers good and bad messages to a team. More importantly on the field you cannot have 11 leaders, you need to have things come down to a few players who take responsibility for setting up walls, defending CK's, taking DK's etc and in general directing other players on the field. I was lucky every year to have 3 smart and athletically gifted players. Many of these players went on to play in college, several became captains of their college teams.

My captains were also an important communication tool in terms of who was injured (but trying to work through or hide an injury), who had problems outside of the game, but also players that I could take aside and ask them if I thought we needed to ratchet up the intesity of training or back off to avoid physical and mental burnout. It has been 5 years since I coached HS and may go back to it again and if I do - I cannot imagine running a HS athletic team without Captains. If not having Captains was part of the contract to accept a HS coaching job I would not accept the position. They are that important.

Cujo

Comment

Are you sure ? The fact of the matter is , we know less about this President than any other in history. For the record, I have never used a Teleprompter when speaking in public.
                              Now you are joking, or you really need some assistance. Clearly your view of this person is grossly distorted. Know less than any President? Really? Why don't you read one of his books where he describes his entire life candidly and in detail. He has been more transparent than any President in history. Why don't you send me all your transcripts and job history, and I'll get his, and then we'll compare. Teleprompter? Do you you remember a number of months ago when he went to the little Republican convention and talked off the cuff quite eloquently for a while and quite effectively. You're not even going to concede that the guy is eloquent and bright. That's what really exposes how silly you are.

Comment

I tend to agree. There is so little substance to so many of the posts; the two posts following yours are prime examples. It is too easy just to throw off a one-liner or engage in make-believe. But I digress. D recently went to a camp at one of the top LACs in the country. (And for you with the tin-foil hats on, the USNews rankings are informative and no one is about to shut them down.) The relevant point is that the coach said that he would just as soon do away with captains. His view was that everyone should take responsibility. He did not want any free-riders sitting around waiting for directions. From the first day, freshmen (and all returning players) were given some of the responsibilities usually shouldered by captains. He still had captains who did the standard ceremonial tasks, but everyone had some responsibilities.

Of course, some of you crave a rigid hierarchy. You might take the time to read about human factor engineering. Why does the US have a much lower rate of airplane crashes than Korea? The main reason is that Korea is a more hierarchical society. Flattening the hierarchy in the cockpit has reduced the accident rate. Sometimes it is good for everyone to take ownership. Curiously enough, the Tea Party movement prides itself on not being hierarchical, at least I think that is what you all mean when you talk about being a starfish not a spider.
                                So you're a Gladwell reader... I was psyched to read the book and find out that Ireland is one of the nations most likely to fight against authority. I grew up in Ireland (US citizen) and agree. This whole notion about the sacredness of the role of captain would be considered a little ridiculous there.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X