X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soccer Prof View Post
    I hope that this is a fair summary of our conversation thus far:

Premier Level soccer = game played quickly at high work rate by players with technical/tactical sophistication (of course all categories relative to age level).

I think that this is helpful. So the goal of Premier soccer would be the attainment of the above. Of course, this assumes a team made up of quality players committed to the game and a coach who is able to motivate and teach the game (moral, technical and tactical aspects).

Have we missed anything?
    I just have to ask, why are you so intent on getting a short, concise statement of what Premier soccer consists of?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yeah, obvious for those of us who have been around the block. However, there are people who are very new to this and really don't know. The beauty to Talking Soccer is that it doesn't matter what you know, it is place to find information to help you learn more.

...but then of course we all have to weed through all the abusive and misleading posts.
      Oh, come on. Do you really think anyone that has no knowledge of soccer would even take the time to find this site and then ask so many questions about it?

Comment

I just have to ask, why are you so intent on getting a short, concise statement of what Premier soccer consists of?
        I'm relatively new to FL soccer. I grew up, learned the game, played, and coached years ago in the Midwest. I got away from soccer for a decade while pursuing education/building my career and now am watching my own children become very interested in soccer (very happy about this!). There seems to be a great deal of pressure for kids to play "Premier." We didn't have anything like the high-priced club soccer where/when I grew up. So I am trying to assess the value of "Premier" relative to other opportunities for my children to develop their game. I know that this may vary from club to club so I am hoping to learn from the TS crowd which I presume draws from clubs across FL.
        Last edited by Soccer Prof; 08-10-2010, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Oh, come on. Do you really think anyone that has no knowledge of soccer would even take the time to find this site and then ask so many questions about it?
          I didn't know that knowledge of soccer was required to find or use TS. This never occurred to me based on my reading of most of the threads on here. :D
          Nevertheless I do appreciate your optimistic appraisal of TS users.
          Last edited by Soccer Prof; 08-10-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I'm relatively new to FL soccer. I grew up, learned the game, played, and coached years ago in the Midwest. I got away from soccer for a decade while pursuing education/building my career and now am watching my own children become very interested in soccer (very happy about this!). There seems to be a great deal of pressure for kids to play "Premier." We didn't have anything like the high-priced club soccer where/when I grew up. So I am trying to assess the value of "Premier" relative to other opportunities for my children to develop their game. I know that this may vary from club to club so I am hoping to learn from the TS crowd which I presume draws from clubs across FL.
            to assess the value of "Premier"??? lol
            If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then value is in the pocketbook of the parent.

Some people value being on a premier team because they can brag on the golf course.
            Others see it as a way of paying for college.
            Others choose it because their kid thinks it's more fun.
            Some even choose it because they love the game and have a passion for playing it at the highest possible level.

Of course, there are also trolls, who try to get someone to say why premier is so good. Then they turn around and bash any idiot who would choose premier. Now that wouldn't be you, would it?

Comment

to assess the value of "Premier"??? lol
              If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then value is in the pocketbook of the parent.

Some people value being on a premier team because they can brag on the golf course.
              Others see it as a way of paying for college.
              Others choose it because their kid thinks it's more fun.
              Some even choose it because they love the game and have a passion for playing it at the highest possible level.

Of course, there are also trolls, who try to get someone to say why premier is so good. Then they turn around and bash any idiot who would choose premier. Now that wouldn't be you, would it?
              I hope that my rhetoric has risen at least slightly above that of a troll. I can assure you that I have no intention of ever bashing anyone (genius or otherwise) on this or any other forum.

Thanks for posting your reasons for why a person might choose premier. I appreciate your insights. In particular, I like your last reason as it comes closest to addressing my original question. I would hope that most do it for that reason.

Comment

I just asked my kid why he plays premier level soccer and not D2 or rec or AYSO. His answer surprised me a bit. He said "because I feel like I would be cheating myself if I played at a lower level".

Thought it was worth sharing...

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident View Post
                  I just asked my kid why he plays premier level soccer and not D2 or rec or AYSO. His answer surprised me a bit. He said "because I feel like I would be cheating myself if I played at a lower level".

Thought it was worth sharing...
                  I think that such an answer from my own children would prove persuasive in my household.

Comment

Now that we know why you are asking, the poster that gave the four reasons had it pretty good. The value is whatever your child sees as the reason they want to play. Some kids are happy playing rec - and there's nothing wrong with that- but some thrive on competition, which you don't have much of at the rec level. Just do your homework on any club you want to join, read the fine print, and get involved with the club, you will know more of what goes on that way. And always remember as long as your kid is having fun and learning and happy you are at the right club.

Comment

Don't be pulled in just by the hype of playing premier. If you never had that kind of soccer it should be easier for you to stay away from all the drama. If they are young they don't need premier, start with a good Academy program when they are old enough. They will let you know how serious they want to get with it, please listen to them. My son only played two years of premier, U16, took a break, then U18. He still got several college offers and some money. He kept his love of the game, and is now a coach himself, so he managed to stay on the right track with it all. Good luck, and take most everything you read on here with a grain of salt.

Comment

I think I know Soccer Prof and I can guarantee you he is no Troll. I think this is one of the more "productive" threads on a site that thrives on bashing and bragging. Thank you Soccer Prof for asking legit questions. It helped me.

Comment

I think I know Soccer Prof and I can guarantee you he is no Troll. I think this is one of the more "productive" threads on a site that thrives on bashing and bragging. Thank you Soccer Prof for asking legit questions. It helped me.
                          You are welcome. Thank you for your endorsement.

Comment

Don't be pulled in just by the hype of playing premier. If you never had that kind of soccer it should be easier for you to stay away from all the drama. If they are young they don't need premier, start with a good Academy program when they are old enough. They will let you know how serious they want to get with it, please listen to them. My son only played two years of premier, U16, took a break, then U18. He still got several college offers and some money. He kept his love of the game, and is now a coach himself, so he managed to stay on the right track with it all. Good luck, and take most everything you read on here with a grain of salt.
                            Congratulations to your son. Would you please elaborate on his training prior to U16 as well as what he did during his year off from Premier? I presume that he was playing or practicing?

Comment

Congratulations to your son. Would you please elaborate on his training prior to U16 as well as what he did during his year off from Premier? I presume that he was playing or practicing?
                              Thank you. He played rec from the age of five, but around nine started having coaches talk to him about select. He just wasn't into it, he has always had his hand in many activities and didn't want premier soccer to rule his life. He always went to camps in the summer, because he loved the game and wanted to keep his skills up. As he got older he went to more rigorous camps, he really liked the challenge. He played one year of premier, liked the coach, didn't like most of the boys on the team. Went back to rec plus. Then we found a trainer(he's a keeper) that after the first session told him he could almost guarantee him to play in college-if he went back to premier. So he did. Did several tryouts, got several offers, took one. Played one year and decided he didn't want to play soccer in college bad enough to miss out on his church activities and other things, and despite several calls after that, came home and is in school and coaching. It took me a while to get over him not playing any more, but he is happy and has kept his love for the game, which is the most important thing, so hopefully one day he will be like you and teach the game to his kids!

Comment

Thank you. He played rec from the age of five, but around nine started having coaches talk to him about select. He just wasn't into it, he has always had his hand in many activities and didn't want premier soccer to rule his life. He always went to camps in the summer, because he loved the game and wanted to keep his skills up. As he got older he went to more rigorous camps, he really liked the challenge. He played one year of premier, liked the coach, didn't like most of the boys on the team. Went back to rec plus. Then we found a trainer(he's a keeper) that after the first session told him he could almost guarantee him to play in college-if he went back to premier. So he did. Did several tryouts, got several offers, took one. Played one year and decided he didn't want to play soccer in college bad enough to miss out on his church activities and other things, and despite several calls after that, came home and is in school and coaching. It took me a while to get over him not playing any more, but he is happy and has kept his love for the game, which is the most important thing, so hopefully one day he will be like you and teach the game to his kids!
                                I'm with you. My son loves the game, but the day he says he has had enough, we will walk away together and find something else he loves to do as much. I'm a parent first, soccer dad second.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X