Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The only problem with your opinion is that the guy in the pick up truck is not wearing a uniform representing the USA. The standards are higher for those that are in that position, and the rights of the citizens to question their behavior is right and proper.

Accident or not, it is beyond the standard of ordinary care when you are representing the people and are handling the flag. It calls for extraordinary care. It isn't that much to ask. Hate has nothing to do with it.
    I agree with you - someone representing the USA should be held to a higher standard.

However, when a player or person is "in the moment" or excited, it's difficult to predict how they will respond. I'm not sure how I would respond if I won a big event at the Olympics, etc. I am not attempting to defend her but my guess is that she meant no disrespect to the flag or the country and dropping the flag was an "accident" and not intentional.

What about track athletes in the Olympics or World Championships that drape themselves in the flag for their victory lap? My guess is that is not proper etiquette yet I usually don't hear criticism of that.

The reason that I brought up the guy in the truck and people not illuminating the flag is because oftentimes those people will be the ones that will be the first to criticize someone like Allie Long. I see more than just the one guy in the pick-up truck that I mentioned. I probably see a few people a month that are doing the same thing. Of course, when the car or truck stops, the flag is no longer flying and is draped on the vehicle. That's why fire trucks that fly a flag do so on a pole that is at an angle. When they top the flag is still hanging freely.

If proper flag etiquette is not known, then those in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones. People just need something to bitch about to make themselves feel good. This is a lot of ado about nothing.

Comment

I agree with you - someone representing the USA should be held to a higher standard.

However, when a player or person is "in the moment" or excited, it's difficult to predict how they will respond. I'm not sure how I would respond if I won a big event at the Olympics, etc. I am not attempting to defend her but my guess is that she meant no disrespect to the flag or the country and dropping the flag was an "accident" and not intentional.

What about track athletes in the Olympics or World Championships that drape themselves in the flag for their victory lap? My guess is that is not proper etiquette yet I usually don't hear criticism of that.

The reason that I brought up the guy in the truck and people not illuminating the flag is because oftentimes those people will be the ones that will be the first to criticize someone like Allie Long. I see more than just the one guy in the pick-up truck that I mentioned. I probably see a few people a month that are doing the same thing. Of course, when the car or truck stops, the flag is no longer flying and is draped on the vehicle. That's why fire trucks that fly a flag do so on a pole that is at an angle. When they top the flag is still hanging freely.

If proper flag etiquette is not known, then those in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones. People just need something to bitch about to make themselves feel good. This is a lot of ado about nothing.
      It isn't matter of predicting behavior , but the expected standard of behavior. As a Professional , in any endeavor, there is , and should be a higher expectation.

No one can say what was " in her mind" . if it was intentional or not. That isn't the point. They certainly knew how to orchestrate , and what seemed like rehearsed celebrations at some points in the competition. Were these not also " in the moment " ?

As far as comparisons go, stay on point. We are talking about this incident, with this team, at this particular time. Keep in mind the pattern of behavior shown through their time in the public eye. Especially their " leader" who is now appearing to use her status to be on a soapbox for issues that have nothing to do with the WNT. The Equal Pay situation is blown out of proportion. it is a disagreement between parties that should not have outsiders or the Government involved in.

You can't read minds and therefore don't have any idea why people may be upset about this incident. It may simply be a case of disappointment , and that along with what we have seen the last few weeks it does not appear that they are concerned with how the public perceives their actions.

The disrespect shown by using the F word, as a role model for children, is inexcusable . And it goes on and on. It will play out as long as the MSM can gain traction from them. Winning the World Cup is at the bottom of the list for what they are viewed by them as being notable for at the present time.

Comment

People use flags on clothing, on cars. People use flags everywhere. I saw fans with flags draped over their shoulders and waved in the stands. Some even fly the stars and bars treason flag. I'm sure what the soccer players did is accidental. I would suggest that they just not bring the flag on the field in the first place, that way incidents are avoided.

Comment

The disrespect shown by using the F word, as a role model for children, is inexcusable . And it goes on and on. It will play out as long as the MSM can gain traction from them. Winning the World Cup is at the bottom of the list for what they are viewed by them as being notable for at the present time.
          Hilarious. Trump swears frequently. He brags about groping women and lusting after teenage beauty contestants, mocks the disabled and women. He dodged the draft but criticizes vets who speak up against him. He's a horrible example for children. This is a two year old spot, he's done plenty more since being elected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrX3Ql31URA

Comment

People use flags on clothing, on cars. People use flags everywhere. I saw fans with flags draped over their shoulders and waved in the stands. Some even fly the stars and bars treason flag. I'm sure what the soccer players did is accidental. I would suggest that they just not bring the flag on the field in the first place, that way incidents are avoided.
            People violate flag protocol in many ways without realizing it. It's just never actually followed. If you're wearing flag underwear you shouldn't be complaining about someone accidentally dropping a flag. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ameri...b06ddf45f867a0

Comment

So is it appropriate for players/athletes to drape the flag around their shoulders? Is that a violation of proper flag etiquette or is everyone fine with that? Serious question because I don’t know the answer.

Comment

https://www.almanac.com/content/us-f...and-guidelines

Comment

So it’s inappropriate to drape a flag around your shoulders in a sports celebration. Does everyone have a problem with that now?

Comment

So it’s inappropriate to drape a flag around your shoulders in a sports celebration. Does everyone have a problem with that now?
                    I'm not a flag protocol nazi, but there is a difference between draping yourself with it vs. throwing it on the ground

Comment

I'm not a flag protocol nazi, but there is a difference between draping yourself with it vs. throwing it on the ground
                      It's a snowflake thing. The snowflakes see our flag as fragile, and when Fox news commands them too, the sheeples whine about it endlessly.

Comment

When I go to international sporting events, I bring and display the flag of the non-US team. They are happy and proud to see the support, and I don't have to hear snowflake sheep whine about flag protocols.

Comment

I respect the flag and when I'm not sure about flag etiquette, I look it up. The tool that started this thread, though, is just blind with hatred. I would like to see how he/she acts if he/she were on the winning World Cup team and "in the moment." It's not surprising that Fox made a big deal out of this also.

Many people fly the flag at home. I fly the flag at home but when I do, I take it down at night because I have no way of illuminating it. Proper flag etiquette dictates that if it stays up at night, it's illuminated. What about the folks that don't do that?

The other day I was behind some Yahoo in a 4 wheel drive pick-up truck that was plastered with Trump and MAGA stickers. He had a huge flag rigged up so that it was attached to his tailgate. I saw him at the grocery store and, of course, when he stopped, the flag was draped over his truck over the wheel and nearly touching the ground. I guess a guy like that is given a pass because he shows his "patriotism" by showing his love for President Trump.

You people that start these sorts of threads just need to get a life and live it instead of showing hatred toward others and their lives....SMH
                          Why would you make up the story of the truck? This is not Alabama...

Comment

Why would you make up the story of the truck? This is not Alabama...
                            I've seen that, too. I've also seen bars and stars flown from a pickup. So, it's a lot like Alabama without the white hood hanging from the rear-view mirror and the gun rack.

Comment

Does Joe 6 Pack wear flag boxers or briefs? Both are a violation.
                              Unless the boxers are made with the material from an actual flag (hint, they aren't), then it is not a violation.

Comment

Unless the boxers are made with the material from an actual flag (hint, they aren't), then it is not a violation.
                                What is "material from an actual flag"? You know the flag can be printed, painted, and drawn on anything, right?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X