Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I feel for all these girls as they become college players. No idea how this girl will pan out or if she is a victim of the below but it is often the case. Maybe she’ll be fine and last night wasn’t a sign that she’s in over her head. However, the early bloomer in soccer is a strange phenomenon. Once a little girl is identified as a young star, every opportunity is afforded her so she naturally widens the gap (see Malcom’s Gladwell). However, then puberty hits and other girls catch up and pass the early bloomer BUT the soccer gurus that anointed the early bloomer a star, never give up and never allow themselves to see there are now brighter stars and will make all kinds of excuses for any lower level play: first time, unlucky, sick, fouled, etc. If a random unknown had been put in and played the exact same way, the unknown would have been blasted and trashed. Other sports have many more stats (Took x number of shots, made 0, no assists, no offensive rebounds, no defensive rebounds, pass completions, etc.) but soccer allows for any and all excuses to maintain the status quo. Once a star, a player can do no wrong and no one can play better even when they do. My guess is she’ll continue to get the minutes regardless and eventually look much better. She’ll also continue to be given the chance to make umpteen mistakes and the most opportunities for success.

If I were a college coach, I’d pay some European men’s coaches to watch practice and game footage and get unbiased feedback about the players. New eyes can see things...sometimes the emperor actually isn’t wearing any clothes
    Here is the only stat that matters, no matter what you think—Team WINS.

That’s it. If the team wins, the coach got it right. Whether you think she connected enough passes, scored or assisted is irrelevant. Maybe she did other intangible things that the coach was looking for. If they lost, it’s the coach’s job to analyze why and make the adjustments. Don’t think there has ever been a team that lost consistently where changes weren’t made.

I’m not referring to JM or UConn in this post either. Just in general. The post above sounds like a disgruntled parent whose kid was never rated as a top player and they are still salty about it.

Comment

Huh? Dumb comment from someone that has never played.
      Really? So if can’t get your shot off how the F will you ever put a shot on goal never mind score a goal?
      Riddle me Dat jetro
      In every sport that requires shooting- getting to the shot is harder than dialing it in
      Ask any coach

Comment

Man I would hate to be your kid... If your kid was able to do 1/2 of what JM can and has done...That would be an impressive short career to most kids. You on the other hand, just hate/bash,etc. You are a very,very sad Dad/Mom.
        Agree with this. My kid loved playing with her. Great teammate. Humble kid. Wishing her well.

Comment

Agree with this. My kid loved playing with her. Great teammate. Humble kid. Wishing her well.
          I’m rooting for all the CT players playing in college along with all the local teams. Why wouldn’t you?

Comment

Really? So if can’t get your shot off how the F will you ever put a shot on goal never mind score a goal?
            Riddle me Dat jetro
            In every sport that requires shooting- getting to the shot is harder than dialing it in
            Ask any coach
            Yes really. The point was that getting the shot off is the hardest part, which isn’t the case at all. The hardest part is placement/accuracy, power (when called for) and technique. Scoring is the hard part the higher up the pyramid you go. Getting shots off isn’t the hard part, it’s the quality of the shots.

Comment

I watched the game and in my opinion she did fine for her collegiate debut. A couple decent moments in the first half, but looked like she was anxious and not composed, to be expected in her first collegiate start. I think she’ll do well in the long run but needs to clearly adjust to the college game. Her last shot that could have tied the game was rushed and poorly struck (lack of composure). Kudos to her for coming in and getting the start, playing big minutes and doing a decent job.
              Not a hater, but she never looks composed and her last one was actually on goal as oppos3d to the other three misfires

Comment

Not a hater, but she never looks composed and her last one was actually on goal as oppos3d to the other three misfires
                She had 5 shots total, the last one on goal. I thought she would bury that one, she had space and it was there for her, unfortunately she didn’t strike it well at all.

Comment

She had 5 shots total, the last one on goal. I thought she would bury that one, she had space and it was there for her, unfortunately she didn’t strike it well at all.
                  I remember someone said a few weeks ago she wasnt a great ball striker and some one started in on the guy saying this isn’t golf. I watched her in high school when my kids team played hers. She was a very good high school player, but she never really had a great shot. I’m sorry if that comes off as negative. Kid had a great motor and was very deceptive . She wasn’t Tobin Heath with the ball at her feat, but could keep the ball close and cut. Had a strong lower half. Never understood why she fell as much as she did with her base and low center of gravity. Maybe she watched the men’s game and saw all those guys diving and withering in pain, only to jump back up after getting the mysterious spray can on the ankle.

Comment

Yes really. The point was that getting the shot off is the hardest part, which isn’t the case at all. The hardest part is placement/accuracy, power (when called for) and technique. Scoring is the hard part the higher up the pyramid you go. Getting shots off isn’t the hard part, it’s the quality of the shots.
                    That was amazingly wrong
                    The reason scoring is the hard part is because it’s harder to find your shot when everyone is better. There are no holes on the field coaches aren’t hiding anyone
                    Gretzky( arguably the best “shooter” of them all said
                    You will miss 100% of the shots you don’t take
                    Just ask any coach

Comment

That was amazingly wrong
                      The reason scoring is the hard part is because it’s harder to find your shot when everyone is better. There are no holes on the field coaches aren’t hiding anyone
                      Just ask any coach
                      Gretzky played soccer??? Who knew??????

Comment

That was amazingly wrong
                        Just ask any coach
                        You also miss 100% of the bad shots that you take. And, for every shot you take, that is one less shot a teammate takes. If they are better than you, that is a bad thing.

Comment

The Brazilian girl is the real deal. There are other big fish in the soccer pond and some are piranha. Don't be a minnow.

Comment

That was amazingly wrong
                            Just ask any coach
                            Do you even know what Gretzky was talking about with that quote? I’ll answer my own question for you...No! You’re a dolt. The quote has zero to do with what you’re trying to say.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...your-goal/amp/

Comment

According to the box score Uconn had 22ish shots. The prov keeper had 5ish saves? Does that mean 17 shots missed the mark? Were the bad shots? From close or far? Were they just shooting to shoot?

Comment

According to the box score Uconn had 22ish shots. The prov keeper had 5ish saves? Does that mean 17 shots missed the mark? Were the bad shots? From close or far? Were they just shooting to shoot?
                                Providence took 12 shots. 6 were on goal. Every player that shot had 50 percent on goal.

Uconn, took 21 shots, 5 were on goal. The Uconn player (aka the savior) with the most shots took 5, only the one taken in the last minute was on goal.

Just had bad luck.....just keep shooting though. One word of advice to the coach. Have your players look up to see where the goal is and where the keeper is positioned. Otherwise, the soccer looks like a fsa u16 game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X